I'm wondering if facebook is worth the download to access my profile via application or through a bookmark on my browser. I've had it downloaded on my curve and didn't like the format at all. Is the only difference that the app let's me know when something new happens, rather than manually checking?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 12:42 AM
    Pretty much, yup
    08-02-09 12:43 AM
    I really like how it syncs my contacts. Puts the profile pictures to my appropriate friends.
    08-02-09 02:32 AM
    Yeah, the contact syncs and events/birthdays are cool.

08-02-09 02:40 AM
    I really like how it syncs my contacts. Puts the profile pictures to my appropriate friends.
    I agree, that's a pretty neat feature.
    08-02-09 05:37 AM
    I think it's pretty cool that you can edit your profile and pics offline and then sync when you are ready.
    08-02-09 06:42 AM
    It's free...just download it and try it, if you don't like it you can delete it.
    08-02-09 07:56 AM
    It's free...just download it and try it, if you don't like it you can delete it.

Well put

08-02-09 08:00 AM
    The only thing I use the FB app is to upload pics. I much prefer mobile FB from the browser.

And if you decide to download the app, find the older one, v1.5. The newer versions are crap.
    08-02-09 08:08 AM
    It's good, but the fact that you cannot view your inbox (or at least I do not believe you can) is a real bummer.
    08-02-09 08:56 AM
    You can always download it and use it only to see if you get notifications, but use the regular mobile site the majority of the time.
    08-02-09 09:20 AM
    the push notification is worth the download. at least you dont have to be paranoic of it.. if you are a facebook addict..
    :P

then again, looking at the blinking lights is paranoic...
    haha

08-02-09 09:32 AM
    What I don't like w/ facebook app is this...

When you get a FB notification - the app should default to that view - but it doesnt - which makes no sense.

You have to wait for it to update the status of everyone - then scroll to the notification area - and then read what was sent.

Makes absolutely no sense.

Is there a way around that?
    08-02-09 10:12 AM
    If you use FB regularly, yes. This is a absolute must have.
    08-02-09 10:47 AM
    the mobile site is better.
    08-02-09 10:55 AM
    yeah the mobile site is better, but i just keep it on to link with my bb contacts
    08-03-09 02:53 PM

When you get a FB notification - the app should default to that view - but it doesnt - which makes no sense.

You have to wait for it to update the status of everyone - then scroll to the notification area - and then read what was sent.

If you get a FB notification and go to your message inbox, click on the notification there, it will take you to it directly in the application.
    08-03-09 03:01 PM

If you're using the belt clip holster that came with the phone, if I get a buzz from FB and pull it out within like ten seconds, it brings up the app and message automatically. Otherwise, yeah, you've gotta navigate there yourself.

Edit: ah, good tip bb727!
    08-03-09 03:03 PM

I don't wait for all my friends statuses to get updated? I have almost 800 friends, that would take forever. As soon as I get a notification, I go right into the program, click notifications, and dont have a problem waiting for anything.
    08-03-09 03:17 PM
    I find that it lags while trying to navigate to the notifications. Especially if the app isn't running at the time you get the notification.

It just seems like a silly thing - that it wouldn't default to notifications - since that's the main reason you'd open the app anyway.
    08-04-09 08:28 AM
    If you get a FB notification and go to your message inbox, click on the notification there, it will take you to it directly in the application.
    That's what I do, too. With the older versions of Facebook it would come up directly in the app...I don't know why they set it up the way they did with the new version. Takes forever.
    08-04-09 01:28 PM

The Facebook notification should show up in your Messages folder. Click on it from there, and it takes you directly to the notification.

edit: looks like others beat me to it
    08-04-09 01:37 PM

Yes, there is a way around that. What I do is much easier. All of the top buttons in the app have a keyboard shortcut, the most useful being the "N" for notifications. When I open the Facebook app, I quickly scroll down (without waiting for anything to update) and then hit "N". It takes me immediately to my notifications. The reason for scrolling down is because if you don't, you'll just type an "N" in the status update field. I think this technique works great

the mobile site is better.
    The mobile site is not better because it does not push notifications to you in a Facebook form. Sure, you'll get them in your email, but it is nowhere near as cool as having it in the app. Does the mobile site do some things faster than the app? Yup, it does. But I only use the mobile site when I need to really look something up on someones profile.

All-in-all, I have been an avid hater of the Facebook app on Blackberrys because it is slow and is terrible compared to the iPhone Facebook app, but is it worth the download? Yes, it is because of the push notifications.
    08-04-09 01:56 PM
    I don't compare the FB app to the iPhone's. Why? Because we're not competing against them. The current FB 1.6+ is absolutely outstanding compared to FB 1.0. It's leaps and bounds different and better. Anyways, if we're comparing, the current FB app for BB is on par with the iPhone's.

The mobile site is in no way better. It doesn't provide Push Notifications...and thus defeats the purpose of having a mobile version. This is a Blackberry, not an iPhone. We use modern technology...aka push notifications. None of that "auto-refresh" or visit a website stuff.
    08-04-09 02:04 PM
    Can you believe that I STILL do not have a facebook account? Boy, am I behind on the times or what?
    08-04-09 02:07 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD