"It now appears that this very key functionality is fast turning out to be a major bane for the Facebook users on BlackBerry as it drains out the battery unit very rapidly.

At least three users this writer spoke to on Wednesday who had downloaded the Facebook app confirmed they too had been facing the issues with battery ever since.

�I downloaded it the very day it was launched. For next week or so, my battery would get drained out within a day, unlike the two days it used to last earlier. Then I figured out that it was due to this app and promptly removed it,� said a user Kunal S."

Full article Facebook app 'draining' BlackBerry - Indiatimes Infotech
    11-02-07 05:14 AM
    Odd. Haven't noticed any difference at all. Had my phone go for nearly two days earlier this week after I installed the app. Crazies.
    11-02-07 09:52 AM
    That's an easy one..it's draining the battery because people are addicted to it and using it all the time after they install it! haha
    11-02-07 12:52 PM
    I did not like the Facebook Application at all. I like the Mobile Version must better! I hate the notifications on my computer already, I don't need it on my phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-07 04:04 PM
    What is the Facebook and what is the difference from that of the Mobile Version?
    11-14-07 01:46 PM
    The app also adds to the draining because all of the info is cached onto your bb as opposed to being stored on facebooks servers. I'm sticking with facebook mobile.
    11-14-07 02:20 PM
    I haven't seen any issues with it.
    11-14-07 04:50 PM
    Hmm I've had it on my BB since it was released, never noticed any drain on battery at all
    11-14-07 06:17 PM
    OK guys just what is this facebook?
    11-14-07 09:22 PM
    OK guys just what is this facebook?
    This:
    Facebook | Facebook® for BlackBerry® Smartphones

Its a watered down version of Facebook for your Blackberry device. Its not a bad program to use, but needs a bit more in the way of features.
    I myself have not had any problems with battery life after installing this app, and as far as notifications, I have all of those turned off so I don't get the annoying e-mails.
    11-14-07 10:17 PM
    The app also adds to the draining because all of the info is cached onto your bb as opposed to being stored on facebooks servers. I'm sticking with facebook mobile.
    That's an easy one..it's draining the battery because people are addicted to it and using it all the time after they install it! haha
    Right on the money there Kevin..

It being cached on your BB would actually SAVE you on battery drain, cause it's only looking for NEW information when you log in, as opposed to reloading ALL the information, as for the "email notfication" that can cause no drain either, cause it just basically hijacking any of your normal facebook emails, and adding the facebook icon to it, rather then just displaying it as a new email on your device...the only real way this app can utilize more battery life would be to be logged into, constantly refreshing all of your friends lists.changing status..and uploading pictures that you may not have uploaded other wise, if you DIDN'T have the application...once again leaning towards Kevin's reasoning..if you'd rather have your battery life...then stop being a faceCRACK abuser!!.....2 addictions in man, some people need serious help
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-15-07 at 03:15 AM.
    11-15-07 03:06 AM
    Hey i have using blackberry for long & facebook & linkedin on my blackberry ever since it was accessible, seems strange to me because i have not come across something like a " battery drain" till now ....... so just could be that the battery drain depends on the rate at which the application is being used thats it
    11-16-07 05:48 AM
    I'm still trying to figure out what the fascination with facebook is about. Maybe it's my age but I just don't understand what the big deal is with that site.
    11-16-07 06:50 AM
    I've been running basically since the day that I saw it available and my battery has been pretty good, as long as I remember to charge it. Maybe it's a fact of some combination of programs running on the BB or something like that. I'm 20 and in college, don't you think that being an avid facebook use/abuser I would have noticed something by now? Just a thought
    11-16-07 08:42 AM
    I installed the latest version of fb and haven't had any problems with the battery. The key with it is you have toexit out properly and not leave it running in the background. Its a great app for free considering what it does! Other service providers charnge for programs half that good (vzw) onto the web from the mobile.

11-17-07 12:13 AM
    Yeah, I haven't had any problems either, thankfully. But I don't use it constantly. Only when I get a notification or something.

-Anthony
    11-17-07 11:24 AM
    I was having battery drain issues with facebook running on my pearl. I ditched it and so far my BB is staying alive much longer.

12-07-07 12:44 PM
    I downloaded this app and removed it a couple of days later. The battery drain was just too excessive. I wasn't really messing with it that much, but I guess it's always running in the background and therefore draining the battery. It would be great if they could make the app be less of a drain to the battery (such as installing an option that stops it from running when you exit the application).
    10-07-08 11:33 AM
    I have had FB on my BB since it came out, and I haven't noticed any battery issues on my Curve!
    10-07-08 11:46 AM
    I've had my FB for awhile now and I don't notice the battery.

I notice with my curve that some days the battery drains quickly and others where it could last a couple days.
    10-07-08 11:52 AM
    I downloaded this app and removed it a couple of days later. The battery drain was just too excessive. I wasn't really messing with it that much, but I guess it's always running in the background and therefore draining the battery. It would be great if they could make the app be less of a drain to the battery (such as installing an option that stops it from running when you exit the application).
    Thankfully, Blackberries can do just that!
    When you are "exiting" you probably just press the red button. If you press menu and go to "close" it will actually close the app. If you want to check if it is running in the background hold alt and press the back button on the main screen and it will show you what is currently running.
    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Harry420; 10-07-08 at 01:55 PM.
    10-07-08 01:26 PM
    There is no differance in using the Facebook application over the Instant Messenger application that is presently on the blackberrys. It has nothing to do with the memory �s stated above. Depending on the service the blackberry is being used on and the data it takes to operate the application could be what's causing the drain. The facebook application has been working and comes preloaded on all Sprint blackberrys and have yet to see any battery issues arise now I have heard that ATT and T-Mobile users have been experiencing this issue. One thing you have to watch out for is if you updated the software on your device to 4.5 and the facebook application is for the 4.2-4.3 build that maybe what's causing the issue but I have confirmation on the yet.

10-09-08 05:28 PM
    UH-OH Kevin made a joke!! LOL nice 1 Kevin!
    10-09-08 07:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD