Even if you do it manually, it still sends out a request to every person and contact that you try and link up with.
    04-22-09 12:33 PM
    Why do people always come to post the same stuff over and over, like it hasn't been said already, half the issues you guys are coming up with like omg it does this i covered on the very first page...is it that much of a hinder to try to read through it and see what people are saying?
    04-22-09 12:42 PM
    Even if you do it manually, it still sends out a request to every person and contact that you try and link up with.
    In my experience, this should be phrased "Only if you do it manually." It doesn't send out any requests if you use the automatic sync in the Options menu because then it only syncs with your contacts who already have phone numbers entered.
    04-22-09 12:43 PM
    Thankfully, all the contacts that I have on my phone are people I'm still cool with.

Most people just ignore requests anyways. Not a big deal.
    04-22-09 12:48 PM
    In my experience, this should be phrased "Only if you do it manually." It doesn't send out any requests if you use the automatic sync in the Options menu because then it only syncs with your contacts who already have phone numbers entered.
    A more interesting note about this to, if that person already has there number listed it will fully update your phone. If you manually link it all you will get is there picture and fb name...kind of extremely ******** if you ask me, it should update everything like there email, and there job info and blah blah blah like the auto sync does.
    04-22-09 12:50 PM
    the request a phone # is weird becasue if the are in your bb address books odds are you have there number, but why is everyone worried about this, why is someone in your address book on your bb if your dont want them to know your requesting it
    04-22-09 12:53 PM
    A more interesting note about this to, if that person already has there number listed it will fully update your phone. If you manually link it all you will get is there picture and fb name...kind of extremely ******** if you ask me, it should update everything like there email, and there job info and blah blah blah like the auto sync does.
    For the four contacts that I linked manually, I got job info where they had made it available.
    04-22-09 12:54 PM
    the request a phone # is weird becasue if the are in your bb address books odds are you have there number, but why is everyone worried about this, why is someone in your address book on your bb if your dont want them to know your requesting it
    People are concerned because the request is not a request for them to give their phone number to you; it's a request for them to enter their phone number into Facebook's database. Nobody wants to do Facebook's dirty work; if my friends chose not to list their phone number on Facebook, I want to respect that and not spam them with requests to the contrary.
    04-22-09 12:56 PM
    so im assuming my contacts are sync properly i can do facebook commands like poke, message. wall post by clicking the menu button on their name in my address book, it shows their facebook name also so that tells me it synced but why is there no picture for 3 or 4 of them
    04-22-09 12:56 PM
    People are concerned because the request is not a request for them to give their phone number to you; it's a request for them to enter their phone number into Facebook's database. Nobody wants to do Facebook's dirty work; if my friends chose not to list their phone number on Facebook, I want to respect that and not spam them with requests to the contrary.
    oh i see your point, but i few people were making comments like "i havnt talked to these people in 2 years", i think they must think its asking for all your facebook friends for their number and not jsut the ones in your bb address book?
    04-22-09 12:58 PM
    oh i see your point, but i few people were making comments like "i havnt talked to these people in 2 years", i think they must think its asking for all your facebook friends for their number and not jsut the ones in your bb address book?
    There is some personal awkwardness involved when this happens with someone you haven't spoken to in years. It was slightly awkward explaining to my friends (who I see every day) why they were getting a phone number request from Facebook. With people you haven't spoken to in a long time, it definitely can give the impression that you were just silently cyber-stalking them the whole time.
    04-22-09 01:00 PM
    What I have seen is it does populate the employer field on the BlackBerry if they have that filled out on the FB profile when I did a manual sync to a friend that does not have a phone number in FB.

Because the way it works, at least from what I've seen, is that the request is made for the friend to add a phone number to their Facebook profile. It's not just a request for the phone number to be sent directly to the one who made the request.

If people don't want to add their phone number to their Facebook profile, they shouldn't constantly have to ignore requests made from all their friends that tried to sync their FB contacts to their BB contacts just because RIM didn't include an option to NOT request a phone number for manually sync'd contacts.
    04-22-09 01:02 PM
    why is it awkward, say your have a new version of facebook on your bb and its doing some weird syncing stuff, why do you have people in your blackberry contacts that you dont havnt spoken to in years?
    04-22-09 01:03 PM
    Happened to me too. It also added their birthdays to my bb. I don't know if it's the today theme I'm using, but now when I hover to my calendar on the home screen, none of my appointments show up anymore. It only show their birthdays on the home screen. Anyone else having this problem?
    Okay...this happened to me and I was a bit neurotic about getting it fixed - so here's your answer. Go to options/advanced options/default services and change your default calendar to whichever one you were using before...apparently this new app takes over your calendar and only displays the facebook stuff. It took a while for my today screen to refresh itself but I now have all my stuff back where I can see it conveniently. Amen.
    04-22-09 01:07 PM
    why is it awkward, say your have a new version of facebook on your bb and its doing some weird syncing stuff, why do you have people in your blackberry contacts that you dont havnt spoken to in years?
    is this really a question? you dont have any people in your phone that you keep in there "just in case"? like if they have a really specific job or profession that could be useful. like if my buddy Bucyrus came and put a roof on my house and gave me his number, i might not ever have to call him again, but 4 years down the road i might spring a leak.

your question is like asking why you still have a business card you got years ago if you never call it.
    04-22-09 01:16 PM
    I dunno, maybe I'm just too conscious of what other people think -- but when I explained this to one of my close, day to day friends yesterday, their response was (jokingly), "Good, no stalking." Of course we both knew it was a joke because we interact regularly, but the sad truth is that cyber stalking is on a lot of people's minds these days. So even if things are all find and dandy once you actually get the explanation out, the fact that something needs to be explained in the first place opens up a huge can of worms.

And I have contacts in my phone that I haven't spoken to in years because, well, why not? Connections have a far longer shelf life than the quart of milk in my fridge, and I've never had to delete old contacts to make room for new ones.
    04-22-09 01:17 PM
    is this really a question? you dont have any people in your phone that you keep in there "just in case"? like if they have a really specific job or profession that could be useful. like if my buddy Bucyrus came and put a roof on my house and gave me his number, i might not ever have to call him again, but 4 years down the road i might spring a leak.

your question is like asking why you still have a business card you got years ago if you never call it.
    but its only syncing the people who are in both the blackberry address book and a facebook friends, not people who are jsut in one of the two lists
    04-22-09 01:20 PM
    I dunno, maybe I'm just too conscious of what other people think -- but when I explained this to one of my close, day to day friends yesterday, their response was (jokingly), "Good, no stalking." Of course we both knew it was a joke because we interact regularly, but the sad truth is that cyber stalking is on a lot of people's minds these days. So even if things are all find and dandy once you actually get the explanation out, the fact that something needs to be explained in the first place opens up a huge can of worms.

And I have contacts in my phone that I haven't spoken to in years because, well, why not? Connections have a far longer shelf life than the quart of milk in my fridge, and I've never had to delete old contacts to make room for new ones.
    i see your point, i guess i delete old numbers frequently so that didnt senario didnt occur to me, but i guess thats a good point
    04-22-09 01:22 PM
    i see your point, i guess i delete old numbers frequently so that didnt senario didnt occur to me, but i guess thats a good point
    Lol c i feel like your avatar fits you perfectly right now =) the picture just looks so confused by everyone.
    04-22-09 01:37 PM
    I dunno, maybe I'm just too conscious of what other people think

You're not and good point re: connections.
    04-22-09 01:39 PM
    but its only syncing the people who are in both the blackberry address book and a facebook friends, not people who are jsut in one of the two lists
    But if you try to add someone to your BB contacts from your FB friends, it will send the request if they don't have a phone number in their FB profile.

For instance, I was manually syncing several people to my BB address book that I was friends with on FB. The reason for doing that is I wanted to be able to write on their FB wall or send them a message straight from the BB address book. It many cases, I already had a BB contact entry for them with just their e-mail address. When I did that, it sent them a phone number request since they didn't have one listed in their FB profile.

Again, my take on it is that if someone doesn't have a phone number in their FB profile, they shouldn't be asked to add one by everyone that tries to sync their FB list to their BB address book just because the BB FB app won't let you disable the request feature.
    04-22-09 01:40 PM
    I downloaded 1.5 last night and tried syncing but it didnt do anything, then I manually connected with a few close friends and asked if they got a message and they said YES, and the number request showed up in my facebook frontpage.

However, today I look at my contacts in my phone and they almost ALL HAVE PICTURES and if they have work filled out on facebook then it shows up under their name also. NONE OF THESE PEOPLE WERE SENT A REQUEST! It synced the names with my facebook account, which are almost all identical, and now I have all their pictures. I think this is the way it is supposed to work. I am very happy with it now!! my .02
    04-22-09 01:41 PM
    Too late - can you apologise to your husband Morf - I think mine just sent a request to his phone also!

I didn't know it was going to email your hubby - otherwise I wouldn't have continued with the contact connections.
    Ha ha ha ha ha! Wait... I didn't mean that YOU sent a request to him! Ha ha ha ha! I hope you're kidding! When I synced MY contacts, I sent him the request for his phone number... which we found to be HILARIOUS. "Hey, honey... can I have your phone number?" Ha ha ha ha!
    04-22-09 01:48 PM
    I downloaded 1.5 last night and tried syncing but it didnt do anything, then I manually connected with a few close friends and asked if they got a message and they said YES, and the number request showed up in my facebook frontpage.

However, today I look at my contacts in my phone and they almost ALL HAVE PICTURES and if they have work filled out on facebook then it shows up under their name also. NONE OF THESE PEOPLE WERE SENT A REQUEST! It synced the names with my facebook account, which are almost all identical, and now I have all their pictures. I think this is the way it is supposed to work. I am very happy with it now!! my .02
    The initial sync that you ran when you first downloaded it takes several minutes to complete, depending on the number of FB friends and BB contacts you have, since it's potentially a fairly large stream of data to import -- probably why you thought it initially did nothing. It also does NOT send a request to those people, because it syncs based on phone number matching (i.e. it takes the phone numbers in your BB contacts and searches your FB friends for matching phone numbers, thus it has no reason to send a request to any of them since FB already has their numbers).
    04-22-09 02:19 PM
    But, why wouldnt you want them to know if you already had their number? I dont get what all this fuss is about. If you already have a friends number, and it does this request, tell them to ignore it.... why would you have someones number in your phone you dont call, creeps.
    lol no kidding, creeps is right now they are busted for being a creep, i get stupid mob warz and many other stupid notications everyday, i just delete or ignore the ones i dont care to read
    04-22-09 03:19 PM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD