Hi,

I got shocked by a huge roaming charge last month, which prompted me to investigate my data usage.

I checked my bill and noticed my data usage jumped on the day that I moved from the Bold to the Torch (It went from < 1MB per day to approx. 50MB per day), so I decided to investigate:

1. Wiped by Blackberry using BBSAK
    2. Used BBSAK to install the latest OS: 9800M_PBr6.0.0_rel1907_PL6.4.0.210_A6.0.0.448_Roge rs_Wireless_Inc
    3. Did NOT restore any applications
    4. Installed MiniMoni

My email addresses were re-enabled since the BB re-synced with the Network.

I ran minimon Traffic Watch, did NOTHING, and noticed the traffic jumping quite rapidly - about 10MB in an hour.

I called my Service Provider, they said they were not able to tell me anything about the traffic.

Any ideas on what to investigate? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Alan
    03-07-11 10:24 PM
    Wow, great analysis! I'm going to install MiniMoni right away, even though I've an unlimited plan. Lets see how it tests out.
    03-07-11 10:29 PM
    What is MiniMoni? I'm just curious. I've had no issues with data with my Torch, but I don't have a many apps installed either and none that run in the background.
    03-08-11 06:16 AM
    minimoni is a mini monitor program that show you how much data you are using, it's free.

03-08-11 06:38 AM
    I have unlimited data as well so I will also install MiniMoni and give some feedback on data usage. Aside from the 5 native apps, I just have WeatherEye and Facebook (checks every 3hrs) running.
    03-08-11 09:54 AM
    The e-Office data alerter offers both data monitoring and listing of running processes. If one is inordinate the app also offers a warning. Free. e-office mobile - Mobile Data Alerter
    03-08-11 11:43 AM
    Yeah, I only have a 1GB data plan and I'm probably paying more than any of you guys! (Canada is so behind)

But the main problem with this increased data consumption is International roaming - I'm sure everyone gets charged an arm and a leg if you use data outside of your country...

I've checked with other people that have the Torch and asked them to install Minimoni... None of them are using data even close to what I'm seeing on mine!

So I don't think it's a problem with the Torch... and it doesn't have anything to do with my applications or OS (as I mentioned in my analysis steps)... So maybe it has something to do with my profile settings that are stored with the Service Provider? My exchange settings? My Service Books?

Just looking for some ideas on what I could investigate.

Thanks in advance!
    03-08-11 12:32 PM
    None of these apps seem to be able to differentiate between wifi and 3G usage. Anyone got a better appnfor data monitoring.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-11 12:38 PM
    But the main problem with this increased data consumption is International roaming - I'm sure everyone gets charged an arm and a leg if you use data outside of your country...
    Do you normally roam or has this been new since you got your Torch?

You can disable data while roaming from Options > Networks and Connections > Mobile Network > change Data Services While Roaming to OFF.
    03-08-11 01:24 PM
    Yep, I travel a lot for work, so I always roam. Normally my bill is about 200 a week, this time it was close to 1000.

That's what prompted me to look at my data usage per day. I looked back at about 6-7 months when I had my BOLD and the data usage was minimal. I looked at 2 months when I had my Torch and the data usage was about 50X-100X what it was before.

Anyway I deleted all my BIS email accounts... So now, literally, the ONLY thing that is on my BB is my Exchange mail account and Minimoni.

I'm considering deleting the Service Books for my Exchange account one-by-one to try to isolate the problem. But I'm not sure how to recover them after deleting.
    03-08-11 08:26 PM
    I use Network Traffic Control, works great.

And it's FREE !!
    03-09-11 05:15 PM
    So I deleted all my Exchange (BES) service books, and then when they were republished, my data usage was back to normal!

They must have been corrupt when they were pushed to the Torch the first time....

Thanks everyone for your help
    03-09-11 06:16 PM
    You took a very smart approach to isolate the problem.
    Glad you got it worked out.
    03-10-11 09:43 AM
    I just did a search for "minimoni" on crackberry and bb app world and nothing comes up. Where do u get it?

03-10-11 11:04 AM
    I just did a search for "minimoni" on crackberry and bb app world and nothing comes up. Where do u get it?

Scann the QR code posted by AcADIeN using the scan function from the App World options menu

03-10-11 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD