I installed EveryLock app on my phone, and locked this hidden picture album using the "files" category, well, when I typed my password and tried to look at the pics, it was replaced by random letters and numbers. The extension of each file is .~el instead of .jpeg/jpg. Is there anyway to retrieve the pictures?

I also noticed that some of my unhidden pictures were deleted too. I want to get them back. Please help.

I contacted the support but they weren't much help.
    03-12-11 03:52 AM
    I installed EveryLock app on my phone, and locked this hidden picture album using the "files" category, well, when I typed my password and tried to look at the pics, it was replaced by random letters and numbers. The extension of each file is .~el instead of .jpeg/jpg. Is there anyway to retrieve the pictures?

I also noticed that some of my unhidden pictures were deleted too. I want to get them back. Please help.

I don't have to much experience with EveryLock, but from reading your post I gather that it when it locked your folder it changed the extension to something only it can read. Try reversing the hide option you did within EveryLock and see if that puts your pictures back properly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    EveryApp Mobile likes this.
    03-12-11 09:49 AM
    Lol, they're not deleted. That's part of how everylock encrypts them.
    You'll have to decrypt the folder.
    EveryApp Mobile likes this.
    03-12-11 12:02 PM

You never contacted me. Also, there is no password to type in to look at your pics using the BB Built-in file manager. You must go into EveryLock and go to Files. Afterwards, you must unlock the locked folder. When a folder or file is locked you can only view the picture using the built-in file manager in EveryLock. So, just send me an email at [email protected] so I can help you better.

Thanks!
    Last edited by EveryApp Mobile; 03-12-11 at 12:36 PM.
    03-12-11 12:19 PM
    maybe i didn't explain myself better. I have this hidden picture folder and I wanted to unhide it but lock it using the EveryLock. I went to Everylock > files > SDCard > BlackBerry > Pictures > (then the hidden picture folder) and pressed Lock. I also locked this 3rd party app called File Scout (so nobody can get to the pictures)

I restarted my phone, and tried accessing the hidden and now lock picture folder. So i went to File Scout, typed the pw, navigated through my pictures and found that the hidden picture folder was changed to random letters and numbers, sooooo i went to open Everylock > files > SDCard > BlackBerry > Pictures > and the folder. Unlocked them (which turned out that I had to unlock each and every file), I exited and tried going back to viewing the folder using File Scout, nothing has changed. The pictures are still in random letters and numbers.

Since you said it's encrypted, is there anyway to decrypt them?

Thank you for the replies
    03-17-11 02:42 AM
    maybe i didn't explain myself better. I have this hidden picture folder and I wanted to unhide it but lock it using the EveryLock. I went to Everylock > files > SDCard > BlackBerry > Pictures > (then the hidden picture folder) and pressed Lock. I also locked this 3rd party app called File Scout (so nobody can get to the pictures)

I restarted my phone, and tried accessing the hidden and now lock picture folder. So i went to File Scout, typed the pw, navigated through my pictures and found that the hidden picture folder was changed to random letters and numbers, sooooo i went to open Everylock > files > SDCard > BlackBerry > Pictures > and the folder. Unlocked them (which turned out that I had to unlock each and every file), I exited and tried going back to viewing the folder using File Scout, nothing has changed. The pictures are still in random letters and numbers.

Since you said it's encrypted, is there anyway to decrypt them?

Thank you for the replies
    Please contact me at my support email.
    03-17-11 10:29 AM
    Also, there is no password to type in to look at your pics using the BB Built-in file manager. You must go into EveryLock and go to Files. Afterwards, you must unlock the locked folder. When a folder or file is locked you can only view the picture using the built-in file manager in EveryLock.
    Thanks!
    I wish that was made clear in the product description so I would have known that before I wasted $2.99 today. The only reason I purchased the product was to hide private photos. There is nothing in the product description that even hints that hiding files works differently than hiding apps. The way Everylock does it is not acceptable to me.
    08-30-11 06:10 PM
    I wish that was made clear in the product description so I would have known that before I wasted $2.99 today. The only reason I purchased the product was to hide private photos. There is nothing in the product description that even hints that hiding files works differently than hiding apps. The way Everylock does it is not acceptable to me.
    You can hide files with the native file explorer that comes with the blackberry operating system.

- Locks whole folders or individual files
    * Hides and Compresses the files making them unviewable
    * A built-in file explorer is included that allows you to view
    the locked files within the application without having to unlock the file.
    i. Can view audio,video,pictures and other types of files
    Thats the description, whats so non trivial about it?
    08-30-11 06:36 PM
    You can hide files with the native file explorer that comes with the blackberry operating system.

* A built-in file explorer is included that allows you to view
    the locked files within the application without having to unlock the file.

Thats the description, whats so non trivial about it?
    gbsn, I don't know what you mean by "non trivial". I guess one could deduce from that description that you have to use EL's file viewer, though it doesn't explicitely say that. Oh well. Caveat emptor.

Yeah, I'll continue to use BB's native file explorer to hide the files, even though it doesn't password protect them. It's a lot simpler to use than EL's file viewer. Too bad EL can't use the BB's file viewer, like I expected.
    08-31-11 09:43 AM
    You can't password protect files without compressing or encrypting them. Even the blackberry native encryption changes the extension to something else, but then again, they are easily viewable and its just so they can't be modified in other devices.

The blackberry os is pretty limited, and I don't think the media app can read compressed and protected files locked with third party apps with other algorithms. Its a matter of capability, maybe the media app can only work with its own .rem extension.

Just like it can't read .rar files natively, there is probably no support for other custom extensions. It would be up to RIM to include such capability within the file viewer application using their own method, for which they will modify the fileviewer so its compatible with these encrypted files.
    Last edited by gbsn; 08-31-11 at 10:39 AM.
    08-31-11 10:33 AM
    You can't password protect files without compressing or encrypting them. Even the blackberry native encryption changes the extension to something else, but then again, they are easily viewable and its just so they can't be modified in other devices.

The blackberry os is pretty limited, and I don't think the media app can read compressed and protected files locked with third party apps with other algorithms. Its a matter of capability, maybe the media app can only work with its own .rem extension.

Just like it can't read .rar files natively, there is probably no support for other custom extensions. It would be up to RIM to include such capability within the file viewer application using their own method, for which they will modify the fileviewer so its compatible with these encrypted files.
    I didn't expect the bb media app to do all that. I expected EL to quickly decrypt them from within the bb viewer for viewing. The way it does with apps.
    08-31-11 10:55 AM
    Its still a media app limitation that it doesn't allow third party apps to integrate with it.

For example, take filescout, a third party file explorer, it allows you to define custom handlers, if everylock can accept files as arguments, then the encrypted files can be opened through filescout. That functionality I have not yet seen with the native file viewer app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by gbsn; 08-31-11 at 11:04 AM.
    08-31-11 11:01 AM
    The blackberry system doesn't provide a way to implement what you are describing. For the files to be protected, they must be compressed or encrypted.

Since, there is no "listener" to detect when a user attempts to open a file then it can't be implemented.
    08-31-11 03:52 PM
    - Thanks.
    08-31-11 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD