Uh. So I just did a soft reset on my phone and noticed that I have a Facebook icon all of a sudden. Errrm.... I didn't install this; I don't even have a Facebook page or, um, whatever you call it.. Not even sure what Facebook is... Where would this come from???
    07-17-08 03:28 PM
    Probably a service book pushed by your carrier.
    You can check under options > advanced options > service books
    07-17-08 03:30 PM
    That is ridiculous. If I wanted Facebook, I would install it.

So um, Verizon is making money off Facebook now, too? Sweet....
    07-17-08 03:31 PM
    Service book, most likely. My Curve came with a Facebook icon, but it's not installed. If you click on it, it should ask you to install Facebook.

EDIT

Or what AG said.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 07-17-08 at 03:35 PM.
    07-17-08 03:31 PM
    LIke amazinglygraceless said a service book is what most likely caused it but to remove it just go to
    OPTIONS>ADVANCED OPTIONS>APPLICATIONS>FACEBOOK *SHOULD APPEAR IN THIS*>HIGHLIGHT IT>CLICK THE BB BUTTON AND HIT DELETE.
    07-17-08 03:33 PM
    LIke amazinglygraceless said a service book is what most likely caused it but to remove it just go to
    OPTIONS>ADVANCED OPTIONS>APPLICATIONS>FACEBOOK *SHOULD APPEAR IN THIS*>HIGHLIGHT IT>CLICK THE BB BUTTON AND HIT DELETE.
    I know how to do this, thanks.

I just wondered where the eff this thing came from... Facebook?? Like a book that looks like, uh, a face?
    07-17-08 03:34 PM
    I think all carriers do stuff like this. I have about a dozen
    hidden Media Mall and other icons that I'll never use.
    07-17-08 03:35 PM
    The Facebook app is preloaded on the VZW Curve. You can take it off with DM>Application Loader or in the Applications menu in Options.
    07-17-08 03:35 PM
    The Facebook app is preloaded on the VZW Curve. You can take it off with DM>Application Loader or in the Applications menu in Options.
    Really? And even if it is a service book it won't come back? Nice
    07-17-08 03:38 PM
    Again, I know how to delete stuff..

And no, it doesn't just automatically come preloaded. I have had my VZW Curve for a while now. This little guy just popped up out of nowhere.

I DID, however, change my Blackberry plan today, as they had me on the wrong one... Hmmmmm............
    07-17-08 03:38 PM
    Then your best bet is going to be to hide it. Out of sight ...
    07-17-08 03:39 PM
    Then your best bet is going to be to hide it. Out of sight ...
    Out of mind! Right-O!

I just don't want it to take up any memo - err - MEM. on my phone......
    07-17-08 03:42 PM
    Uh oh! This might turn into another spam conspiracy thread
    07-17-08 03:46 PM
    It actually will come back. I had the same thing happen to me and no matter how many times I delete it from my service books it comes back after a battery pull. You cannot delete it from applications as it isnt installed on your phone. The Icon is an installer icon which is embedded in your service books. I have called my carrier as it was never there before and the Rep told me every time you reboot the phone it resends the service books so there is no way to get rid of it but you can hide it. I think its BS that we cant control what apps or installers are on our devices and the fact that you cant even permanently delete them really bothers me as well. Sorry Jenay but you are stuck with it. However if I'm wrong and someone figures out how to permanently get it off the device please let me know.
    07-17-08 03:46 PM
    It actually will come back. I had the same thing happen to me and no matter how many times I delete it from my service books it comes back after a battery pull. You cannot delete it from applications as it isnt installed on your phone. The Icon is an installer icon which is embedded in your service books. I have called my carrier as it was never there before and the Rep told me every time you reboot the phone it resends the service books so there is no way to get rid of it but you can hide it. I think its BS that we cant control what apps or installers are on our devices and the fact that you cant even permanently delete them really bothers me as well. Sorry Jenay but you are stuck with it. However if I'm wrong and someone figures out how to permanently get it off the device please let me know.
    $&*#$%@%!%#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the eff! I do battery pulls all the time and all of a sudden POOF! Today I get this little hunk of cr*p on my phone? Yeesh. Oh well.
    07-17-08 03:48 PM
    $&*#$%@%!%#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the eff! I do battery pulls all the time and all of a sudden POOF! Today I get this little hunk of cr*p on my phone? Yeesh. Oh well.
    LOL I feel your pain. I do pulls all the time too. The part that pissed me off is mine was like yours it was never there and all of a sudden one day poof there it was. I've tried everything to try and get rid of it with no luck. I have resorted to sticking it in a folder and hiding it.
    07-17-08 03:52 PM
    Again, I know how to delete stuff..

And no, it doesn't just automatically come preloaded. I have had my VZW Curve for a while now. This little guy just popped up out of nowhere.

I DID, however, change my Blackberry plan today, as they had me on the wrong one... Hmmmmm............
    Actually, like amazinglygraceless said, it's a service book. I just remembered that it popped up when I activated my phone. Which plan did they have you on? Their slick, because when I was getting mine set up the CS people said the only plans they had were the puny $24.99 plan and the $45 plan. I had to keep insisting that there's a "unlimited" $29.99 plan. The book in the store didn't even have it. After a while another CS rep came over and punched some keys on the computer and, voila, there it was! I hate to think they're that shady so I gave them the benefit of the doubt that the first CS just didn't know....Nah they're really that shady. LOL
    07-17-08 03:52 PM
    It'll only take up about 3kb of ... well you know
    07-17-08 03:54 PM
    Facebook is like My Space without the annoying glitter and stupidity.

It's awesome, I have found family members I haven't seen in years on it.
    07-17-08 03:55 PM
    Actually, like amazinglygraceless said, it's a service book. I just remembered that it popped up when I activated my phone. Which plan did they have you on? Their slick, because when I was getting mine set up the CS people said the only plans they had were the puny $24.99 plan and the $45 plan. I had to keep insisting that there's a "unlimited" $29.99 plan. The book in the store didn't even have it. After a while another CS rep came over and punched some keys on the computer and, voila, there it was! I hate to think they're that shady so I gave them the benefit of the doubt that the first CS just didn't know....Nah they're really that shady. LOL
    Well. Of all the nerve, Verizon!!

I was on the $44 BES data plan. I have no need for that, so I switched down to the $30 unlimited data plan. They had me on this stupid plan for the last year or something crazy like that, so I called them today and said uhhh... Hey there. It's J'enay. And I'm mad. Let me tell you why.......

Anyhow, yeah. This must be where that stupid icon came from. Um. Should I expect more???? (stupid vzw!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    07-17-08 03:58 PM
    facebook is like.. free crack for college kids
    07-17-08 04:18 PM
    facebook is like.. free crack for college kids
    Eeew. Count me out.
    07-17-08 04:22 PM
    Well. Of all the nerve, Verizon!!

I was on the $44 BES data plan. I have no need for that, so I switched down to the $30 unlimited data plan. They had me on this stupid plan for the last year or something crazy like that, so I called them today and said uhhh... Hey there. It's J'enay. And I'm mad. Let me tell you why.......

Anyhow, yeah. This must be where that stupid icon came from. Um. Should I expect more???? (stupid vzw!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Yeah they either want people to get the $24.99 plan and use too much data so they can charge for it or get the $45 plan and get an extra $15 a month. They are SLICK. And no, there aren't anymore apps they push too your phone. Yet.
    07-17-08 04:26 PM
    yep i deleted after fb stopped working. No matter how many times, it comes back on my screen. WHenver I click on it, it asks me to register and install. UGH. what is the point when it doesn't work!? Yep, FB doest give you notifications anymore.
    07-17-08 04:29 PM
    Yeah they either want people to get the $24.99 plan and use too much data so they can charge for it or get the $45 plan and get an extra $15 a month. They are SLICK. And no, there aren't anymore apps they push too your phone. Yet.
    Hmm. I have absolutely sung the praises of Verizon for a long time now... But....... After finding out about my actual plan details, and the Trooper Typing icon, and the FB icon.......... Hmm. Perhaps I may change my mind about sticking with them forever and ever, amen.....
    07-17-08 04:33 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD