I�ve noticed a lot of back and forth on which is better for managing your Gmail account. Can anyone with experience provide a pros and cons list for using each one?
    11-19-09 11:40 AM
    Id like to know this as well
    11-19-09 12:14 PM
    the enhanced plugin is only going to work correctly (at all) if you go into the ACTUAL mailbox folder on the phone. the combined mailbox area does not have any support (yet and to my knowledge) for the plugin.

i never actually used the plugin cause i am in the combined mailbox all day, but they will be improving it soon based on what i read about the new BIS stuff they are working on.

the gmail app is like using gmail...supports searches, stars, labels and everything.

sometimes outlook web access is ssshhhiiitttyyyy and it can create odd behavior (like reading a message on the computer will make it be re-sent down to the berry as a new message) and things like that. i have a friend with exactly that problem.

if you want to dig in to the specific gmail mailbox or its the only email on the phone use the plugin.

there is alot more to it than that, but im sure someone will pick up where i left off and correct me if im wrong. the gmail app also will properly notify you of messages.
    11-19-09 12:19 PM
    which one (enhanced plugin or gmail app) is used to wirelessly sync contacts/
    11-19-09 12:21 PM
    right now you need to install google sync to sync the contacts and cal to google. from what i read they will add this into BIS soon-ish
    11-19-09 12:22 PM
    right now you need to install google sync to sync the contacts and cal to google. from what i read they will add this into BIS soon-ish
    it should also be said that your gmail app will have full access to your gmail contacts within itself (autocomplete and such) but the plugin will not unless you sync using google sync or some other 3rd party means
    11-19-09 12:27 PM
    I seperated my main message box because having all those emails thrown in one place made my head explode. Right now I have one icon for the Gmail plugin, one for work mailbox, and an icon exclusively for SMS/MMS.

How quickly are emails pushed to and from your phone when using the Gmail app? I like how quickly I get emails using the plugin and getting alerted when new emails arrive.

What I don't like is not being able to have access to my entire mailbox, only what's been retrieved since the BIS account was set up. I also don't like how deleting something using Gmail.com from the PC doesn't affect the BB mailbox. (To be fair, there's a support article on blackberry.com saying that it does in sync both ways and some people say it does work but takes several HOURS to propogate.)

So I'm kind of torn. If the gmail app pushes and pulles mail in real-time (or close to it) I may switch over to that.

EDIT: The plugin allows you to wirelessly sync your contacts without Google Sync. Calendar does require google sync until the new BIS comes out.
    11-19-09 12:31 PM
    I seperated my main message box because having all those emails thrown in one place made my head explode. Right now I have one icon for the Gmail plugin, one for work mailbox, and an icon exclusively for SMS/MMS.

How quickly are emails pushed to and from your phone when using the Gmail app? I like how quickly I get emails using the plugin and getting alerted when new emails arrive.

What I don't like is not being able to have access to my entire mailbox, only what's been retrieved since the BIS account was set up. I also don't like how deleting something using Gmail.com from the PC doesn't affect the BB mailbox. (To be fair, there's a support article on blackberry.com saying that it does in sync both ways and some people say it does work but takes several HOURS to propogate.)

So I'm kind of torn. If the gmail app pushes and pulles mail in real-time (or close to it) I may switch over to that.

the plugin is exactly that...a plugin..it bears no additional load to the time it takes to get the mail than what would occur without it...it just enables you additional gmail specific features. the setup you described is correct to use the plugin properly. the deleting on the desktop is unfortually the normal behavior. if you read a message on the berry it will be marked read on the desktop...but not vice versa (yet). the gmail app will take care of that issue.

the app is pretty DAAMN quick...maybe 15-30% slower (depending, or not at all slower) than the normal BIS usage (not positive as i dont use the app...only when i need to search for something not in the berry) my friend with an 83xx or whatever on tmobile uses the gmail app and its seemingly instantaneous, no complaints from him. not having access to the entire mailbox is not something you will get with any phone easily (other than android).
    11-19-09 12:37 PM
    EDIT: The plugin allows you to wirelessly sync your contacts without Google Sync. Calendar does require google sync until the new BIS comes out.
    awesome! ive been without my berry since they updated the plugin last time...im def looking forward to trying it out in that capacity
    11-19-09 12:38 PM
    What I want to know is, why when using Gmail plugin, I don't get to see who the message is from? Example, the line that shows (2 items)
    See attached...

11-19-09 12:49 PM
    What I want to know is, why when using Gmail plugin, I don't get to see who the message is from? Example, the line that shows (2 items)
    See attached...
    it appears that its grouping it into a conversation cause the messages are similar. i dont have a good answer on that one cause i am waiting for my berry in the mail still and i havent used the latest version of the plugin. but that is my best guess of what is happening...reason being because it looks similar to the way gmail groups convos with the same context
    11-19-09 12:52 PM
    ...and, to be honest, that's exactly what it's doing. I stopped using it because I could not see the 'from' person. I'm not too bothered about it, but wanted see if others had the same issue.

it appears that its grouping it into a conversation cause the messages are similar. i dont have a good answer on that one cause i am waiting for my berry in the mail still and i havent used the latest version of the plugin. but that is my best guess of what is happening...reason being because it looks similar to the way gmail groups convos with the same context
    11-19-09 12:58 PM
    ...and, to be honest, that's exactly what it's doing. I stopped using it because I could not see the 'from' person. I'm not too bothered about it, but wanted see if others had the same issue.
    i could be mistaken but i think there is a settings panel for that plugin somewhere...
    11-19-09 01:00 PM
    ...there is, for the amount of 'lines' to show. But, I've not noticed anything about from\header, etc, etc.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this.

i could be mistaken but i think there is a settings panel for that plugin somewhere...
    11-19-09 01:23 PM
    IMHO and for my personal uses i deplore the gmail enhanced plugin...There is not a location anywhere on my 9700 to delete. Its an imbedded program. I am still searching for a way to delete and return to "non enhanced" gmail....
    11-19-09 01:25 PM
    I believe to remove it, you have to either look for the module (options \ advanced options \ applications \ menu \ module).

Failing that, remove your said Gmail account, and re-add it...

IMHO and for my personal uses i deplore the gmail enhanced plugin...There is not a location anywhere on my 9700 to delete. Its an imbedded program. I am still searching for a way to delete and return to "non enhanced" gmail....
    11-19-09 01:34 PM
    I believe to remove it, you have to either look for the module (options \ advanced options \ applications \ menu \ module).

Failing that, remove your said Gmail account, and re-add it...
    Followed your instructions....First solution that may work..Found 3 modules as follows. Concerned about deleting something monumentally important

net_rim_bb_gmail
    net_rim_bb_gmal_help_en
    net_rim_bb_gmail_resource_

nothing specific to the gmail plug in.

if i remove these will i not have access to gmail??
    11-19-09 02:00 PM
    Followed your instructions....First solution that may work..Found 3 modules as follows. Concerned about deleting something monumentally important

net_rim_bb_gmail
    net_rim_bb_gmal_help_en
    net_rim_bb_gmail_resource_

nothing specific to the gmail plug in.

if i remove these will i not have access to gmail??
    Just observed that they cant be deleted...Default permissions can be changed though...
    11-19-09 02:02 PM
    On my 9700, I went to options \ applications \ Add-On. And here I have "Enhanced Gmail Plug-in.

You should be able to delete that one. Menu \ Delete. I just did it, and restarted, and thus far Gmail plug in is gone

PS: not sure what OS you're using, but...

Just observed that they cant be deleted...Default permissions can be changed though...
    11-19-09 02:20 PM
    Just realized Enhanced Plugin allows you to search both your local or your remote mailbox. So even though you can't have your entire mailbox on your device at one time you can always search for an email that's not on your device. Pretty cool.
    11-19-09 02:30 PM
    On my 9700, I went to options \ applications \ Add-On. And here I have "Enhanced Gmail Plug-in.

You should be able to delete that one. Menu \ Delete. I just did it, and restarted, and thus far Gmail plug in is gone

PS: not sure what OS you're using, but...
    Not in any of the add on or core applications to remove. Im running 5.0 and it appears its part of that operating system.....So i imagine the cod will have to be removed. Im reluctant to start playing with programs that accomplish that task..
    11-19-09 02:49 PM
    It looks like on the TMO 9700 anyways that there is no way to delete the enhanced gmail plug in, which i personally dont care for. I downloaded the gmail app and have it working, but i cant figure out how to stop getting email notifications in each folder, if that is even possible. and now my email isn't getting pushed to the gmail app, any ideas?
    11-19-09 07:42 PM
    this is not correct...when i setup my gmail account it automatically synced my contacts. there is an option on what it syncs. and since i had a g1 that was perfect because all of my info was there anyway.
    11-19-09 08:25 PM
    sorry for the noob question...but im using the gmail app right now but i cant seem to figure out how to add labels to my inbox mail so that they can be archived. can anyone help me? thanks in advance!
    11-21-09 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD