I'm looking for something that can be used to contact 911 and send GPS location when no cell signal is available. That is the key here, No Cell Signal Available, it must use GPS to contact 911.

Basically, it would be the functionality of SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE without the tracking information. I'm not looking to let people know where I am, or sending updates, just the ability to contact 911 via GPS if I am in an area with not cell coverage.
    05-18-10 06:37 PM
    The GPS in your BlackBerry has no native transmit capability. It receives and processes signals from the GPS constellation, but cannot transmit anything to anywhere other than via the cell signal. It is a GPS receiver, only.
    05-18-10 06:40 PM
    Well that solves that than.
    Thanks for the fast & concise reply.
    05-18-10 06:44 PM
    Just to provide more info. Spot, I believe, actually uses SATELLITE communications to relay your location (besides the obvious gps satellites) back to an earth station. In other words, the Spot device is not a cell "phone" but a satellite "phone" which is why it can work in very remote locations where there would be no cell service.
    05-18-10 07:04 PM
    I'm looking for something that can be used to contact 911 and send GPS location when no cell signal is available. That is the key here, No Cell Signal Available, it must use GPS to contact 911.

Basically, it would be the functionality of SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE without the tracking information. I'm not looking to let people know where I am, or sending updates, just the ability to contact 911 via GPS if I am in an area with not cell coverage.
    If you are willing to spend a little bit of time, say two weekends of study, and you are a little bit technically inclined, you can easily pass the FCC exam for a Technician class Amateur Radio license. You can then buy and legally operate equipment that will do everything you want. Google APRS for more info, and ARRL for info on the licensing process. The test for an entry level license is very simple. I'm AA4RT.
    05-18-10 07:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD