this is a review and comparison of two EAS clients - AstraSync and NotifySync.

A little disclaimer here. Yes, this is my first post on CB - I've been lurking for months until I had something worthwhile to say. I am an active poster on other forums, just not on a BBerry forum. I own a Storm 9530 on Verizon and work uses Exchange 2007. I have no stake in either program - I just want an EAS client so that I can connect to our server in the same way that the Pre can, that the iPhone can, and that a WinMo phone can . . . oh, and they don't allow BES so this is my only way to get folders and such with my email. . . This will also be funded by me so I am approaching it as a consumer, not as a business.

What I want is a fairly inexpensive EAS client that is as easy to use as possible, that does the job, and that does not require a ton of configuration to use easily. While I'm an IT guy, I'm approaching this as a generic user - so I know there are likely things I COULD do, but if I can't find it quickly, I'm not counting it. . . tough beans.

I got the OTA trial version of each and used each for 1 week (trial for AstraSync so I figured it was only fair to use NotifySync for the same period).

Installation
    My experience with AS was very smooth. Registered on the site, received the email with the OTA link, popped that into the browser and it downloaded and installed. Utterly no huhu. Setup was easy once I got the configuration information from work with server and domain info. In total, it took me maybe 15 minutes. (5/5)

My experience with NotifySync, on the other hand, was not so smooth. I don't use BBerry's task manager as I'm not a list kinda person. . . but NS requires it, evidently, as it threw an error every time I tried to install until I went back and installed that module. There was no troubleshooting information on their site - it was here, on CB, that I found the error message and the solution. Also, NotifySync installs a second program called Notify Blackberry Installer which is used to update the program - why NotifySync can't use the normal Blackberry Desktop for updates . . . There's also some Beam Reader thing that installs . . . Overall, it took me several hours to work through everything, figure out the task module thing, etc. (2/5)

Interface
    AS is clunky. After a while I figured out that it's designed for a "normal" BBerry and not a Storm. Menus are on whichever side the option button is (rotation screen and all that) but nearly everything is "choose something, then menu button, then choose the selection" - almost never can you just select it by . . . selecting it! On the other hand, the "back" key does take you back one step for nearly everything. Once I figured out that this was a non-Storm product, the interface made sense and I stopped grumbling. Menu choices are not well ordered, though, so common tasks are not always at the top which means there's a lot of scrolling. It's still clunky - for the Storm; for all others it's probably fine, so I'm giving it. (3/5)

NS, on the other hand, was nothing if not irritating. The menu comes up on the opposite side from the menu button meaning I HAVE to use two hands. This is not optimal. You can select and drill down in menus, but the back key doesn't take you back to the previous menu or even to the folder list; you have to hit the menu key, then with your other hand (cause the menu is on the wrong side remember) choose "view folders" which isn't near the top of the menu choices - honestly, this seemed to be a mix of hodgepodge menu structure, touch-interface, and strange design choices that just didn't make sense. In addition, NS takes over the whole interface when it's open so now the time, signal, battery and all that are in a different font (much smaller) and in an ugly green on white schema. When I first got NS running, I thought I'd love this interface, but after a week I'm glad to uninstall it. (1/5)

Sync and Notify
    AS seems to sync often and nicely. You pick your folders and those are the only ones that show up so, in my case where I have a gazillion folders but only want to sync about 5, I only see 5 - and that's, strangely, what I want. Also, calendar items seem to just pop up in my calendar. . .just like I want them to. When there is a new email message, the icon changes to indicate it, just like it does with Gmail and Messages. My only beef is the alert sound is horrid - it's an annoying braap sound. Very unattractive - and I never was able to figure out how to get it to obey my sounds schema so it was always on. . . Aside from the sound, this was exactly what was wanted - simple and effective. (4/5)

NS seems to sync often, but it didn't seem to be regular about it. Sometimes it would sync all the time and other times there seemed to be a delay. I don't know what that was, but I couldn't find any configuration setting. Also, the manual sync menu choice was not always there. You do choose which folders to sync, but ALL folders are displayed whether sync'd or not and, as you can imagine, I didn't really want that as I have a (previously mentioned) bajillion folders. The only way to see that a folder is sync'd is a little icon that you actually can't see well when a folder is highlighted (it's green on a dark blue background. . .) Also, when you're using it, it defaults to your inbox rather than to your folder list - meaning that I can't see what folders have new messages without pressing Menu-View Folders. I tried unchecking the "Show Inbox at Startup" which required a reset, but it still goes to my Inbox. The icon also does not show any waiting emails - it's just the icon so I don't know by looking at it that I have something new. The sound is a nice chime and it seems to work within my schema so that's nice - no waking up at 2:00am when my list-serves seem to distribute (guess how I found THAT out!) but that's honestly the only thing positive in this area. (1/5)

Price
    As I said, I'm a consumer, not a business and the pricing models both seem to be geared toward businesses. In neither case do you actually purchase the program - you essentially rent it. AS is $49/year; NS is $120 for the first year and $30/year after.

Now, granted, AS will end up more expensive after the fourth year ($49/$98/$147/$196/$245 for AS vs $120/$150/$180/$210/$240) but I don't buy software on a 5 year plan - heck, I don't even buy a used car on a 5 year plan (most used cars are financed on a 36 month basis. . .) so why would I want to buy software that will be out of date by that time and have to pay that much for it?

In fact, why do I want to pay that much for software when I hardly paid that much for the Storm itself??? I expect to use my Storm for a couple of years and then upgrade. The Storm is available at Verizon for $50 . . . and ActiveSync wants that much just for the software? NotifySync wants 2.5 times that amount? And that's only for one year?

Sorry - this feature comes free with the Palm Pre, with the iPhone, and with WinMo - why do I have to pay as much for the software as I do for the phone? It just doesn't make sense to me.

AS - 2/5; NS - 1/5

Conclusion
    I'm not connected with either company; I just want software that does the job and does it right - and that doesn't ask me to pay a lot to do it.

Neither of these software packages fits that bill. AstraSync comes closest with a decent interface, good sync (bad sound), and smooth installation (for me.) If it were priced reasonably, or had a consumer version, I'd go for it and recommend it to others at work. (14/20) NotifySync, on the other hand, doesn't even come close, as far as I'm concerned. Poor interface, counterintuitive selection process, bad sync and folder display (although nice sound) and horrid pricing structure. (5/20)

Recommendation
    At this point? A qualified recommendation for AstraSync - and the qualification is if you don't have to pay for it.
    Last edited by socalboomer; 10-24-09 at 02:42 AM.
    10-24-09 02:36 AM
    I have had to demo both products for a customer who use a mix of Curves and Bolds. I don't see your experience with the Menus (don't know if I just didn't use it long enough) but Astra Sync was horrible with attachments. The number of steps involved just to get the attachment was bad but then you had to leave the program to open it. Notify Sync was very linear and when you select the attachment it opens it from the application.

I do agree with you conclusion as I told my customer to get ANYTHING but a Blackberry as the functionality is not there. I do however think you are blaming the wrong party. Astrasync and Notifysync should not exist because EAS should be built into a Blackberry like it is in every other Smartphone.

I do however have one small question. Have you had a chance to try the products on a different Blackberry? I believe the cutting-edge of your Blackberry is the cause of your major discomfort with the products.
    10-26-09 11:22 AM
    I wasn't really blaming either one but rather taking them as they are and critiquing them, as they are.

You're right - it would be nice if RIM would integrate EAS into the OS, but wouldn't that be competing with themselves?

Good point re: attachments. I didn't try that whole area.

I haven't tried either with any other Blackberry - I only have a 9530 Storm (did I say that? I think I did in passing. . .maybe should have brought that out more. ) I'm not a professional reviewer, just an IT professional who was reviewing a couple of packages for several faculty and staff at work - we don't purchase phones or software for faculty or staff.

So the menus, for me, on the Storm were an issue, at least with NotifySync.

My problem is that I LIKE my Storm. I don't really want "anything but" - which makes me unhappy. sigh.

Thanks for the feedback!
    10-27-09 02:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD