View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Amazon or e-bay?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • e-bay

6 46.15%
  • Amazon

7 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Okay folks. The beta version of the e-bay application was finally released earlier this week. Some people say that there are only 2 kinds of people populating our fertile world: the rich, and the poor. I agree that there are only 2 kinds of people on God's green earth, but I disagree on the kinds. To me there are e-bay users, and Amazon users. I am an e-bay user, but my girlfriend is stuck on Amazon.
    The purpose of this thread is to compare not only the applications, but to also compare the two shopping sites. Not only will you be helping determine what everyone's preference is; a statistician's delight, but you will also be helping out with my - uhm -domestic wager with my girlfriend. The type of information that I am hoping to see here are:

1) A statement of your preference between e-bay and Amazon, and your reasons for choosing one over the other.
    2) A statement of whether you have either app on your phone, or whether you have ever tried either app on your phone.
    3) A statement divulging your preference between the two apps. For example, it is possible that you would normally use Amazon, but that you prefer e-bay's app on your phone over Amazon's. Please include your reasons.
    4) Any other information pertinent to the 2 sites - not including scams that you may have pulled - that you are willing to share.

I personally had the Amazon app on my phone which I have now swapped for the e-bay app. I don't want to sound biased, but I am already loving the app. It might as well be the final version, as far as I am concerned; it works pretty flawlessly. It integrates pending biddings on your calendar. This morning, I purchased an item, and to my astonishment, my phone beeped. This wasn't just an e-mail alert. It turns out that when you win an item, e-bay has its very own special envelope that shows up on your Blackberry screen, like when you receive a Facebook or Myspace message. I have included a screen shot of my phone; it is the envelope that looks somewhat like the Mexican flag. And its not because of all the Tequila I consumed last night...
    Last edited by Barredbard; 11-28-09 at 06:56 AM.
    11-28-09 06:45 AM
    As a member of the third group of people I am neither an E-Bayer nor an Amazon user. On very rare occasions I order books from Amazon. Never used E-Bay.

Neither app will be installed on my phone in the foreseeable future. Not even as any sort of trial or test run.

Best wishes to all the rest of you shoppers. Us Luddites will just keep plodding along.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-09 07:00 AM
    I shop the stores that have what I want. I don't define myself by where I buy stuff.

In summary: I have both apps. It's not an either/or.

The eBay App is far from flawless. Have you tried a Buy It Now? Didn't think so.

11-28-09 07:43 AM
    I shop the stores that have what I want. I don't define myself by where I buy stuff.

The eBay App is far from flawless. Have you tried a Buy It Now? Didn't think so.

I think everyones entitled to where they shop and my interpretation of the OP statement wasn't that he was saying one was better than the other, I have used both so far and think they are both good apps, as far as "the eBay App is far from flawless" remark, might wanna re-read the blog when it was released as I'm pretty sure it stated "BETA eBay App", keyword being "BETA".

Just sayin.............
    Last edited by JoelTruckerDude; 11-28-09 at 07:53 AM. Reason: grammar correction
    11-28-09 07:52 AM
    I think everyones entitled to where they shop and my interpretation of the OP statement wasn't that he was saying one was better than the other, I have used both so far and think they are both good apps, as far as "the eBay App is far from flawless" remark, might wanna re-read the blog when it was released as I'm pretty sure it stated "BETA eBay App", keyword being "BETA".

Just sayin.............
    Maybe you should read instead of skimming when you try to call someone out.

It might as well be the final version, as far as I am concerned; it works pretty flawlessly.
    Last edited by dchawk81; 11-28-09 at 08:05 AM.
    11-28-09 08:02 AM

This response was pretty surprising. I never suggested that anyone define's themselves by where he or she 'buys stuff.' Its a pretty baffling and uninformed suggestion. I assure you that I don't have e-bay decals on my car, or plastered to my refrigerator or wake up dreaming about e-bay. But when I am looking to buy electronics, I usually compare prices there to see that I am not being had by the local retail store.

You have introduced a negative tone this thread that you brought with you. This is supposed to be a fun thread that also gathers information. Simple and short: tell us what you think. If you like both apps, just say so, and without the evil disposition. If you like neither app, that's fine as well; a poster before you said that. I have no vested interest. I did mention that the app was in its beta stage. Obviously, since I downloaded the app yesterday, I haven't tried out all of its features. This gives you no reason to snidely point out that that I haven't tried out some of its features. That's a moot point. If you tried a feature and it wasn't satisfactory, just say so without the shenanigans. Or remain silent, as is your prerogative. That's exactly what this forum is all about. Now, I could be far more unpleasant in responding to your nasty message, but I won't follow your example. Good morning to you.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 11-28-09 at 08:25 AM.
    11-28-09 08:17 AM
    You got "nasty" and "snide" from my first response? That's sad.

Seriously...in one breath you say it's flawless and might as well be final, and in another you say "oh but I've only had it a day and haven't tried all the features yet". You yourself said you deleted Amazon in favor of eBay - as if both apps cannot coexist. In your opening post you do make it an either/or.

I'm a nice guy but I do call people out when they don't make sense.
    Last edited by dchawk81; 11-28-09 at 08:28 AM. Reason: ugh...spelling.
    11-28-09 08:26 AM
    I use both ebay and amazon, with eBay being 10+ purchases to 1 Amazon purchase. Really tho, whatever works when I need whatever it is I need. Ebay getsa a lot as I buy older specialized and pricey guitar stuff. Had great experience on both site for the most part. I tend to buy new electronics on Amazon more, just because they are more likely to be a source for new stuff.

I have the ebay app loaded, seems ok so far. Haven't "really" wrung it out though. I have it mostly so I don't miss auctions ending while at work. Nice to have, prior to the app, I missed a lot of stuff I was bidding on.

Never used the amazon app, can't comment. Since it's not auctions, I can order whenever I want on the PC, not that important to me to have on the BB.

Last edited by jdwx; 11-28-09 at 08:37 AM.
    11-28-09 08:31 AM
    (To Dchawk81) This is my last response to you, regardless. You seem too busy with your own hasty opinion to read and understand this thread. Therefore, your opinion is not welcome, and I will no longer respond to you. This thread is about finding out other people's opinions. That is precisely why it is 'either' 'or.' I deleted Amazon because there was no memory left to accommodate both apps on my phone. However, that's my prerogative. I already have my own opinion; I like e-bay. I am hoping to get other people's, and along the way gather useful information about both apps. And by the way, the poll allows you to vote twice; you are able to vote for both if that is your preference. Other people seem to get the purpose of this thread. I will enjoy seeing their posts. G'day to you, again.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 11-28-09 at 08:45 AM.
    11-28-09 08:42 AM
    I get it. My opinion isn't valid because it doesn't agree with yours.
    11-28-09 09:13 AM
    (To Dchawk81) This is my last response to you, regardless. You seem too busy with your own hasty opinion to read and understand this thread. Therefore, your opinion is not welcome, and I will no longer respond to you. This thread is about finding out other people's opinions. That is precisely why it is 'either' 'or.' I deleted Amazon because there was no memory left to accommodate both apps on my phone. However, that's my prerogative. I already have my own opinion; I like e-bay. I am hoping to get other people's, and along the way gather useful information about both apps. And by the way, the poll allows you to vote twice; you are able to vote for both if that is your preference. Other people seem to get the purpose of this thread. I will enjoy seeing their posts. G'day to you, again.
    Don't waste your breath on him, apparently he thinks nobody is entitled to speak their opinion on this site without him adding his ignorant remarks to the poster "Didn't think so". Just take it in stride and ignore.
    11-28-09 09:17 AM
    I like the personal attacks.

"Ignorant", "Snide", "Nasty"

It's cute.
    11-28-09 09:28 AM
    Don't waste your breath on him, apparently he thinks nobody is entitled to speak their opinion on this site without him adding his ignorant remarks to the poster "Didn't think so". Just take it in stride and ignore.
    Thanks, Joe. I really couldn't figure out where he was coming from. This was supposed to be a fun thread, with everyone chiming in with their own opinion of the apps, and giving information about the whys and the wherefores so that we can all be better informed. And thanks for voting by the way I am really curious to see how this will turn out.
    11-28-09 09:34 AM
    Glad you don't own the forum. You'd be banning everyone who dissents.

Oh yeah and this thread didn't have to blow up like it did. I offered one opinion...you could have ignored it.
    11-28-09 09:37 AM
    I use both Amazon and Ebay. What can I say...I like to shop! I recently downloaded the Ebay app earlier this week and I was extremely impressed because if I want to follow up on an auction, the app allows you to save it to your calendar. Wow! That has to be my favorite feature

11-28-09 10:36 PM
    Didn't know an Amazon app was out... :/
    11-28-09 11:19 PM
    I'm still waiting for the day I can efficiently respond to messages through the eBay messaging system. I'm a power seller, and it definitely increases sales when you can quickly respond to a customers question. I don't leave home without my 9700 and 9630... but I can't respond to any messages in a short amount of time. I get the questions via email instantly, but if you respond to the email it sends the response to the customers personal email. I've found that most customers don't even check there email, and just check the site. eBay.mobi doesn't offer a option to respond to messages either. So it leaves me running to a computer everytime I have a potential buyer.
    11-29-09 03:01 AM
    I'm still waiting for the day I can efficiently respond to messages through the eBay messaging system. I'm a power seller, and it definitely increases sales when you can quickly respond to a customers question. I don't leave home without my 9700 and 9630... but I can't respond to any messages in a short amount of time. I get the questions via email instantly, but if you respond to the email it sends the response to the customers personal email. I've found that most customers don't even check there email, and just check the site. eBay.mobi doesn't offer a option to respond to messages either. So it leaves me running to a computer everytime I have a potential buyer.
    Have you tried accessing ebay through Bolt or OperaMini? THat might get around the mobile site restrictions.

I haven't tried the Amazon app yet (last time I looked, it wasn't available for the Tour).

I've tried the eBay app. It's a little on the slow side, and the description screen is aweful right now. It seems to grab the full html and then won't display more than the top of the page. Scrolling seems to be hit or miss on the description screen. I've even seen javascript errors on the description page. I'm surprised that they haven't just grabbed the mobile site's description information. I know it is beta, so hopefully they will address some of the issues more.
    11-29-09 08:02 AM
    I use both Amazon and Ebay. What can I say...I like to shop! I recently downloaded the Ebay app earlier this week and I was extremely impressed because if I want to follow up on an auction, the app allows you to save it to your calendar. Wow! That has to be my favorite feature

I know; I thought that feature was pretty handy too. I really like the way it is integrated with your calendar. Sheer genius.
    11-29-09 08:17 AM
    Didn't know an Amazon app was out... :/
    LOL; yeah, the Amazon app has been out since dinosaurs were roaming the streets. You can download from Amazon's website. You essentially put in your e-mail, and they send a link to your phone. For some reason, they've declined to put it on App World.
    11-29-09 08:19 AM
    I wasn't aware of that. Did you actually download the e-bay app, or are you visiting their mobile website? It might make the difference. If not, since it is still in its beta stage, hopefully they'll incorporate that feature. I don't know why customers wouldn't check their regular e-mails; any e-mail sent by a seller is automatically routed to my personal e-mail, and I get it immediately. Strange.
    11-29-09 08:22 AM
    Have you tried accessing ebay through Bolt or OperaMini? THat might get around the mobile site restrictions.

I haven't tried the Amazon app yet (last time I looked, it wasn't available for the Tour).

I've tried the eBay app. It's a little on the slow side, and the description screen is aweful right now. It seems to grab the full html and then won't display more than the top of the page. Scrolling seems to be hit or miss on the description screen. I've even seen javascript errors on the description page. I'm surprised that they haven't just grabbed the mobile site's description information. I know it is beta, so hopefully they will address some of the issues more.
    Xopher, the Amazon app is definitely available for the Tour; that's the device I am using right now. What you do is go on the Amazon website. After you enter your information, it'll ask you to enter your e-mail so that a download link can be sent to phone via e-mail. Here's the link: Download the Amazon App for Blackberry to search, shop, and buy anywhere!
    It worked flawlessly on my Tour.
    Alternatively, you can use your Blackberry browser, and type in 'amazon.com/bb' I personally haven't tried this method.
    11-29-09 08:28 AM
    I love the new Ebay app, its very fast and easy to use and like was stated earlier being able to add the auction to your calander is flippin' sweet! But I really hope they add some functions for sellers also, otherwise the only use I have for it is following auctions, I don't really search and buy things from my phone, if I need something I will go to my computer and search for it.

Amazon app is nice but I really have no use for it, its to slow to efficiently search and like I said I prefer to buy things from my laptop, I haven't found anything near important enough to take the time and search for it on my BB, that I can't go find a computer and buy it from there. I deleted the Amazon app a while ago.
    11-29-09 02:21 PM
    1) i sell on eBay and buy on Amazon. i don't like to bid on items; i prefer to just buy. i'm not an impulse buyer, and bidding would stress me out. i don't like buying used items usually and i don't like taking a chance on eBay auctions.

2) i have had both apps. i deleted the eBay app almost immediately.

3) Amazon app is smoother, cleaner and has more options. i love the one-click buying. i am back to using the Bolt browser to access my eBay items for sale.

4) No.

1) A statement of your preference between e-bay and Amazon, and your reasons for choosing one over the other.
    2) A statement of whether you have either app on your phone, or whether you have ever tried either app on your phone.
    3) A statement divulging your preference between the two apps. For example, it is possible that you would normally use Amazon, but that you prefer e-bay's app on your phone over Amazon's. Please include your reasons.
    4) Any other information pertinent to the 2 sites - not including scams that you may have pulled - that you are willing to share.
    11-29-09 02:30 PM
    1) i sell on eBay and buy on Amazon. i don't like to bid on items; i prefer to just buy. i'm not an impulse buyer, and bidding would stress me out. i don't like buying used items usually and i don't like taking a chance on eBay auctions.

2) i have had both apps. i deleted the eBay app almost immediately.

3) Amazon app is smoother, cleaner and has more options. i love the one-click buying. i am back to using the Bolt browser to access my eBay items for sale.

4) No.
    LOL. I agree with you on quite a few things: bidding on items stresses me out, and I am not an impulse buyer either. I always compare prices on any electronics I buy, and I would actually prefer to get them from the local Best Buy if the prices are competitive enough. I'll never forget my first experience on e-bay, when I bid on a textbook I needed desperately for class. The bid was due to end three days later, and in the meantime, classes had already started. The price was about 1/3 of what it would be at the bookstore, so I figured it would be worth the wait, even at the expense of falling behind on my class readings in law school.

Every hour upon the hour, I dashed to my computer to check the status of the purchase. So far so good. Finally, it was a mere 15 minutes to go, and I was still the highest bidder. I heaved a sigh of relief. I can relax now, I thought. I went to check on the mail, came back, and to my greatest dismay, someone had out-bid me with 1 minute to go. I feverishly started to bid higher, but I never caught up to him when the countdown was up. I was very bitter about it, and I never tried bidding again.

But this information so far has been pretty surprising. It would appear that there are more Amazon users than there are e-bay users. I always thought it was the other way around. I mean, I definitely hope someone would get me the Kindle for Christmas, but I always thought that e-bay was more popular. Darn, it seems like I am losing this wager. I wish someone would explain what it is that they prefer about either one of these shopping sites.
    11-30-09 07:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD