Did that get your attention?

Well I downloaded the free DriveSafely app off App World on Mon night before going to bed.
    Tuesday morning off to a breakfast meeting. During a small break, I pull out my Tour, hit App Switcher, and am surprised to notice the DriveSafely app is shown there, meaning it's open (or possibly a background app).

I click the Icon, it opens, I hold down ESC.
    Open App Switcher and it's still there.
    Open app again, click MENU, select Close.
    Open App Switcher and it's still there.

So meeting should be re-starting and the other 2 people are wondring why I'm "playing" with my BB.
    Right then a couple emails arrive, and DriveSafely starts READING THEM OUT LOUD.
    I'm flustered, so just pull out the battery.

Reboot, and it starts reading again!

Go into App World and Delete. Another battery pull� and it's finally gone!

Now here's why I throw in the term "virus."

I go into Messages after the meeting and see that "I" have apparently sent out 2 emails
    DriveSafely sent an email to each of the senders of the 2 emails it started to read me!

The email was:

Subject: I heard your email read out loud -
    DriveSafe.ly is free! Download it at http://www.DriveSafe.ly I'll get back to you soon.

Are you serious?!?
    Do NOT download this invasive App if you (or your contacts!)want even a shred of privacy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-09 03:45 AM
    Sorry it's not been working too well for you so far!
    I've been testing this app since it first came out & it works really well. Like all apps though, it needs to be set up to suit your own preferences.
    If you go settings>advanced you get the option to send an auto response to texts and emails or not! You also get the option to run on startup or not.
    If you then hit "done editing settings" & scroll down to "exit drivesafe.ly" this will exit the app, not just send it to the background.
    It still needs some tweaking but it's a great app. Have a play around with it. Be warned though. If it's running in the background it will only stay silent with your BB in quiet mode.

10-21-09 07:08 AM
    This app is a little annoying and yeah I'm getting yelled at about it spamming ppl but i like it so far. Might even pay for it.
    ps you can always turn it off : D
    10-21-09 07:17 AM
    Same exact thing happened to me. I deleted it within 10 minutes of downloading it...

I thought it was going to be something where you could have the SMS/Email/whatever read to you when you wanted it to. But no, it just starts reading them right when it comes in...
    10-21-09 08:14 AM
    It's a cool app, but I don't use it much. The reason I don't it the only gripe I have with it is for some reason it doesn't read my messages through my bluetooth.
    10-21-09 08:51 AM
    It's not a virus, it is doing what it is supposed to do. You just didn't look into the app much before you started to use it.

- You can click the red "On" button to turn off speaking.
    - Can can press the End button to have it stop reading.
    - You can go into settings and press the Exit button to completely exit the app.
    - You can go into Advanced Settings and uncheck "Run on Startup" to stop it from loading automatically.

You really need to learn how to use the app before you complain about it.
    10-21-09 08:57 AM
    It's not a virus, it is doing what it is supposed to do. You just didn't look into the app much before you started to use it.

- You can go into settings and press the Exit button to completely exit the app.
    - You can go into Advanced Settings and uncheck "Run on Startup" to stop it from loading automatically.

I completely agree with Xopher. THIS APP HAS NO VIRUS but what you are complaining about is USER ERROR!!! The app works perfectly fine if you follow the directions or ask before you flame a good app.
    And to all that complain about the auto-respond, there is an advanced setting that you uncheck and then there is NO AUTO-RESPOND to e-mails or texts.
    10-21-09 09:25 AM

How about those apples. Common sense prevails.
    10-21-09 11:03 AM
    The application is designed with many countries, states, and towns with bans on hand held phone operation while driving. Hence the name.

The application does not know when you have stopped driving there for it is unable to know that you don't want it to read the incoming messages. You, the user, must disable that when you arrive at your destination.

Beyond that, um, Xopher pretty much covered all there specifics regarding the application.

Perhaps one should ask for help when the technology progresses beyond their comprehension....
    "WITCH!!! BURN HER!!!!"
    10-21-09 12:37 PM
    It's a cool app, but I don't use it much. The reason I don't it the only gripe I have with it is for some reason it doesn't read my messages through my bluetooth.
    Need to enable it to read through bluetooth in settings.
    10-21-09 12:52 PM
    It is enabled. When it goes to read it in my bluetooth headset, the headset makes its connection beep but there is just silence after that.
    10-21-09 12:58 PM
    sorry can't be much help there, i never use the bluetooth.
    10-21-09 01:23 PM
    This is silly. This is how rumors get started. There is NO VIRUS FOR THE BLACKBERRY! As others have noted, the OP didn't read the instructions on this app--it's doing what it's supposed to do.

From what I understand, earlier builds did this automatically, later builds make it an option.
    10-21-09 01:25 PM
    In the other thread, the developer noted that they are still working on getting bluetooth headsets to work properly. As of 1.05 it wasn't working for standard BT headsets (stereo headsets do work).

Since 1.06 came out today, I still haven't been able to get bluetooth to work. Hopefully it will be addressed soon.
    10-21-09 03:47 PM
    How about those apples. Common sense prevails.
    Common sense would be to need to open an app before it starts reading emails out loud or sending emails out.
    Common sense would also be be to have a startup screen within the app for first-time use, given the nature.
    Common sense would be for the defaults within the app to be of the non-disruptive variety, so the user will customize.
    Common sense would be to not post ignorant replies about common sense. How about them apples?

Bottom line: a fantastic idea for an app that is not quite there. I hope it gets there, but for now it stinks I my opinion. Don't get me wrong, you're all entitled to your differing opinions.

10-21-09 04:00 PM
    This is silly. This is how rumors get started. There is NO VIRUS FOR THE BLACKBERRY! As others have noted, the OP didn't read the instructions on this app--it's doing what it's supposed to do.

From what I understand, earlier builds did this automatically, later builds make it an option.
    Hi Sultan,
    First off, I respect your history of helpful posts in these forums. Look at my history of posts and you'll find I typically am too.
    Second, I was being a little facetious using the term virus.
    Third, I had the most recent version at the time 1.05.

YES there are no real viruses for BB, as far as I know.
    BUT take an open-minded look at the scenario I think you'll appreciate the analogy: self-promoting email sent automatically without a warning. Now the major difference of course is that this email doesn't contain an attachment to spread the invasive program. Yes big difference of course!

The App World entry mentions nothing about auto-emailing or that the App runs in the background always.
    It does mention that it will run once you approve terms&c's, so my fault for not realizing what that meant. That's what I get for downloading last thing at night�

The part that really upset was always the auto-emailing. The other part was only mildly embarrassing. Luckily I wasn't meeting with different people or receive a "NWS" email at the time.

10-21-09 04:18 PM
    The application is designed with many countries, states, and towns with bans on hand held phone operation while driving. Hence the name.

The application does not know when you have stopped driving there for it is unable to know that you don't want it to read the incoming messages. You, the user, must disable that when you arrive at your destination.

Beyond that, um, Xopher pretty much covered all there specifics regarding the application.

Perhaps one should ask for help when the technology progresses beyond their comprehension....
    "WITCH!!! BURN HER!!!!"
    On your last point, NOPE it's a sloppy UI that is completely unintuitive (if that's a word) for a new user. Why not have exit options like virtually every other app?
    And again, my main gripe is the auto-email as a default setting.

10-21-09 04:24 PM
    Well said!!!!!

I completely agree with Xopher. THIS APP HAS NO VIRUS but what you are complaining about is USER ERROR!!! The app works perfectly fine if you follow the directions or ask before you flame a good app.
    And to all that complain about the auto-respond, there is an advanced setting that you uncheck and then there is NO AUTO-RESPOND to e-mails or texts.
    10-22-09 02:59 AM
    Here's a link to the App World description: BlackBerry App World - DriveSafely

And here's the first few sentences: "DriveSafe.ly reads your text messages and emails out loud so you can concentrate on the road. Eliminate the temptation to reach for your phone by letting DriveSafe.ly read to you and automatically respond for you.

You Sir, are making it worse for yourself.
    10-22-09 03:07 AM
    On your last point, NOPE it's a sloppy UI that is completely unintuitive (if that's a word) for a new user. Why not have exit options like virtually every other app?
    And again, my main gripe is the auto-email as a default setting.

Yeah, I can see how this can be very confusing...

/end sarcasm
    10-22-09 07:56 AM
    The app states that it automatically reads e-mails. Common sense would tell you it has to run the background to do this.

Common sense would tell you that means it reads them automatically, without the need to choose something from the menu.

The app descrtiption even says it sends out an autoresponse automatically. Personally, I can see how this might be deactivated by default.

When I get a new app, I 1) research it. 2) Play with it and see what features are there. 3) Check the forum to see what others have said about it.

If you read the DriveSafe.ly thread, you will see what features are turned on by default, how to change things, and what others have said about the app.
    10-22-09 09:28 AM
    Reguardless ,I find that type of dirty shti unacceptable ,"now that we have access to all your contacts" we will abuse your trust with an auto-default to on,by making all or any of your emails suggest you support safedrive. Thanx for the heads up on companies choosing not to respect their customers,speaks volumes

10-25-09 09:53 AM
    Dude, are you serious right now?!? IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO THAT! aaaannnnndddd YOU CAN TURN IT OFF!

What more could you possibly have to say about it? If you don't like the app, it's USER ERROR.
    10-25-09 10:17 AM
    Reguardless ,I find that type of dirty shti unacceptable ,"now that we have access to all your contacts" we will abuse your trust with an auto-default to on,by making all or any of your emails suggest you support safedrive. Thanx for the heads up on companies choosing not to respect their customers,speaks volumes

This thread has gotten ridiculous with comments from users (like the one above) who simply do not read what this app is supposed to do. It is called DRIVE SAFELY and it automatically will advise the person who just sent you an e-mail or text that you are in the car and will get back to them later. Now for the hard part: IF YOU DON'T WANT AN AUTO-RESPONSE YOU MUST UN-CHECK THE BOX IN THE SETTINGS!!! This is an excellent app that works EXACTLY as it is supposed to and it is unfortunate that there are people here that just don't get it, just can't read, or they would rather "flame" an app just for the sake of seeing their ridiculous words in print! Again, Drivesafe.ly works very well and I hope that most people will weed out the stupid comments and try a very good app that helps you be hands-free when needed!

Last edited by tellsells; 10-25-09 at 02:55 PM.
    10-25-09 11:15 AM
    No worries! Stupid comments are weeded out. No need for anyone to even address those comments. This is a great app even on a 8320. Two thumbs up. I really appreciate this kind of app and again thank you developers. Everything works great for me. I think once an app is downloaded you should at least give yourself a run through of the settings and the description of such app. Play around with it first before deleting it and passing along false info.
    10-30-09 05:10 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD