Has anyone else receive the overnight update? Woke up and the new download link update was on my home screen. Does anyone have any idea what the new update has for improvements?
    Thanks,
    Vinny
    04-24-10 06:36 AM
    No improvements. They just added a registration screen to spam you even more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-10 07:27 AM
    I was wondering the same thing.

The registration screen is awful. Don't upgrade if you can help it.
    No improvements. They just added a registration screen to spam you even more.

04-26-10 03:19 PM
    I am just curious how you can just make a blatant statement to not upgrade unless you have some specific info that you are not divulging about the registration info that Drivesafe.ly is asking for?
    Maybe the registration screen is accumulating e-mail addresses so that they can inform you of future updates? I am not saying that they are doing this and I have no idea why they are asking for this info. But I do like the app a lot and your remarks make it sound as if the app is not a good one.
    The problem with forums (in general) is how hard it is to figure out who gives good info and who just "splurts" out the first thing that comes into their head!
    04-26-10 03:42 PM
    Did they fix the problem with it just blurting out your emails and sms even though you set it not to???????
    04-26-10 04:07 PM
    Did they fix the problem with it just blurting out your emails and sms even though you set it not to???????
    I have never had a problem with Drivesafe.ly blurting out e-mails.
    What I do know is that "user error" will contribute to this by not closing the app properly. If you do not want it to blurt out e-mails you must hit the Drivesafe.ly options then hit "exit Drivesafe.ly" and hit "OK" when it prompts you with a message that says, "Your messages will no longer be read out loud" and then your Drivesafe.ly Icon will have a RED X on it.
    04-26-10 04:16 PM
    I have never had a problem with Drivesafe.ly blurting out e-mails.
    What I do know is that "user error" will contribute to this by not closing the app properly. If you do not want it to blurt out e-mails you must hit the Drivesafe.ly options then hit "exit Drivesafe.ly" and hit "OK" when it prompts you with a message that says, "Your messages will no longer be read out loud" and then your Drivesafe.ly Icon will have a RED X on it.
    Well actually thats the problem, i dont want to have to close the app for it not to just read my messages. I need to have it running in the background and just to work manually. It has a option to invoke the reading manually, but it doesnt work for me.
    04-26-10 04:22 PM
    Well actually thats the problem, i dont want to have to close the app for it not to just read my messages. I need to have it running in the background and just to work manually. It has a option to invoke the reading manually, but it doesnt work for me.
    I am not sure what option you are talking about. Drivesafe.ly only has two options for reading e-mails- ON or OFF!
    04-26-10 04:28 PM
    What they did do was update the app with a green check mark if it is up and running and a red x when it is disabled. That was never on my app until the update and I have always had the paid version. I like the app when I'm driving. Just have to make sure to shut it off when I pick up my girlfriend, if you know what I mean???
    04-26-10 04:29 PM
    What they did do was update the app with a green check mark if it is up and running and a red x when it is disabled. That was never on my app until the update and I have always had the paid version. I like the app when I'm driving. Just have to make sure to shut it off when I pick up my girlfriend, if you know what I mean???
    Actually, the check marks occurred on the previous update. As far as I can see, this update only adds the registration screen.
    The biggest problem with this app is that there is no automatic update notification when you completely close the app.
    Last edited by tellsells; 04-26-10 at 04:36 PM.
    04-26-10 04:33 PM
    Then take my recommendation with a grain of salt. So far as I can tell the upgrade has given me no upgraded service, yet is requesting info from me. I don't like that.
    I am just curious how you can just make a blatant statement to not upgrade unless you have some specific info that you are not divulging about the registration info that Drivesafe.ly is asking for?
    Maybe the registration screen is accumulating e-mail addresses so that they can inform you of future updates? I am not saying that they are doing this and I have no idea why they are asking for this info. But I do like the app a lot and your remarks make it sound as if the app is not a good one.
    The problem with forums (in general) is how hard it is to figure out who gives good info and who just "splurts" out the first thing that comes into their head!
    04-26-10 09:10 PM
    Also, just because you don't like what I have to say should you assume that I'm making a frivolous comment without thought. You don't know me to make such judgments about a person, and I take offense to your accusations. For all you know I could be an expert at speech language software; it doesn't matter. My comments, like most everyone's comments on this forum are mere opinions. We're not experts on the subject at hand, only end users. It's the reader that must decide the wheat from the chaff, and that may vary from reader to reader. So don't accuse me of thoughtless babble. I offered my opinion - nothing more and nothing less.
    04-26-10 09:35 PM
    Also, just because you don't like what I have to say should you assume that I'm making a frivolous comment without thought. You don't know me to make such judgments about a person, and I take offense to your accusations. For all you know I could be an expert at speech language software; it doesn't matter. My comments, like most everyone's comments on this forum are mere opinions. We're not experts on the subject at hand, only end users. It's the reader that must decide the wheat from the chaff, and that may vary from reader to reader. So don't accuse me of thoughtless babble. I offered my opinion - nothing more and nothing less.
    So I apologize if I offended you. But please give us more info regarding your quote saying that people should not upgrade:
    The registration screen is awful. Don't upgrade if you can help it.
    Maybe, if you said, "You shouldn't upgrade because.....",
    Or, "The application is flawed because...."
    But, a "don't upgrade if you can help it" statement does not accomplish anything without giving a specific reason. That's my only point.
    (And Drivesafe.ly is a very good app that, in my opinion, keeps people's hands on the wheel instead of on their phone while driving. Your negative comments could certainly scare someone away from this app.)
    04-26-10 09:49 PM
    Ever since the upgrade, I can't stop it from running in the background. Even when I select Exit and confirm that it won't read any more, it stays running in the background. That combined with asking for my zipcode, gender and birth year, I don't like it. I'm going to delete it and reinstall my old version. If it forces the upgrade again, its deleted forever.

04-27-10 07:17 PM
    Ever since the upgrade, I can't stop it from running in the background. Even when I select Exit and confirm that it won't read any more, it stays running in the background. That combined with asking for my zipcode, gender and birth year, I don't like it. I'm going to delete it and reinstall my old version. If it forces the upgrade again, its deleted forever.

There is now another update to 1.23. I have not had a problem shutting off the app. But you should update the app and when it is open go to menu>exit drivesafe.ly>and hit OK when it prompts you that your messages will no longer be read. And you will get a red X on the icon and in this new version it actually says that the app will no longer be read aloud.

EDIT: I just checked the app switcher and for the first time it shows that Drivesafe.ly is running in the background even though it is closed. Hopefully it will not be a drain on battery or memory.
    Last edited by tellsells; 04-27-10 at 08:20 PM.
    04-27-10 08:15 PM
    I did get the overnight download web page . However, I dismissed it until I could check versions and backup. I have been burned by reboots before. Guess that was 4.6 though.

Anyway, I forced a download to 1.23. Only thing I noticed is the bluetooth activation where speed beta was. Speed activation beta now on advanced. I like this auto activation better. Speed actv. is a battery drainer. Oh yeah, the last two updates did NOT reset the auto-respond settings.
    04-27-10 09:38 PM
    I thought the same thing a little back and realized I had the new vlingo update installed with the the voice reading. Are you sure you don't have both installed and it's vlingo actually doing the talking?
    04-27-10 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD