It is dangerous to text/e-mail while driving and I have found a great combination to perform these functions hands-free with two separate apps: DriveSafe.ly and MyCaption.
    DriveSafe.ly allows you to receive e-mails/texts via your phone's speaker or Bluetooth headset and it reads it perfectly. There is a free version that has limitations but the Pro version has many options that work almost flawlessly.
    You can set it for many options as shown below including a choice of male, female, or Auto Select voices (which chooses the gender based on who sent the message).

After you have received an e-mail/text from someone you might want to respond to it. MyCaption allows you to dictate a message that it will then create and send it to you to verify before it is sent out. By having DriveSafe.ly enabled, the MyCaption e-mail or text that is created is then read to you. You then confirm the accuracy and one-click the send button. I have sent dozens of e-mails through MyCaption and it is amazing how accurate it is. You can send e-mails, texts, or calendar entries through MyCaption:

MyCaption is not cheap. They have a monthly plan which is unlimited messages for a monthly charge or a pay as you go plan which allows you to buy minutes and use them whenever you like. DriveSafe.ly has a free version and MyCaption has a free trial.
    (FYI, I tried Vlingo and it is a good app but certainly not perfect. MyCaption is much more accurate, in fact nearly 100% accurate.)

Drivesafe.ly is available here:
    DriveSafe.ly - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    and MyCaption is available here:
    MyCaption Speech to Text Application for BlackBerry - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store

If any of you spend time on the road as I do, you should check out these two apps!
    Last edited by tellsells; 10-11-09 at 11:27 AM.
    10-11-09 11:17 AM
    Would like to see a program like MyCaption for a $20 one-time fee not monthly or by usage.
    It is just too expensive IMO.
    10-14-09 04:13 PM
    It "ain't cheap" but MyCaption just lowered the usage rate. A one-time fee would be great but I doubt that this company could give this service for a one-time fee. I almost did not try the app because I thought it was too expensive, but after using the free trial I felt the expense would be well worth it to not be tempted to send an e-mail while driving or anywhere else that I need to send an important hands-free message.
    It is still a small price to pay if you need to send a hands-free message safely!
    10-14-09 04:35 PM
    I guess the question would be to see how MyCaption compares to Vlingo.

I think the two big downsides to Vlingo are having to hold the side button down the entire time you are talking (so it's not hands free) and having to navigate the screen to actually send/save.

If MyCaption is accurate in its text conversion, and as simple as one-click to send, then I can see how it might be better than Vlingo.
    10-14-09 06:34 PM
    I just saw that MyCaption is the deal of the day at CB app store.
    $4.50 for 20 minutes of messages is a good deal. Most of my messages are 15 seconds or less so that's 80 messages for $4.50 (less than $.06 per message).

MyCaption Speech to Text Application for BlackBerry - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    Last edited by tellsells; 10-16-09 at 06:53 AM.
    10-16-09 06:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD