Very cool application that automatically reads your emails, tells you from who, subject, email content, very cool...

The pro edition has more features but the FREE one is nice for starters

Free Mobile App Stops Texting While Driving - DriveSafe.ly
    09-27-10 03:47 AM
    Good app. Have had it a while.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/dri...-aloud-286188/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-10 05:59 AM
    Please don't make new threads telling us about apps that have been around for a while.
    09-27-10 08:48 AM
    Wow, an app which takes your attention off the road so you can concentrate on the road. Wow.

Nothing my phone does can be more important than keeping my eyes on the road. It's illegal in my state anyway.
    How does this app take your attention and/or eyes off the road? i think you're missing the point of the app completely. It reads your email and texts aloud so you don't have to look at your BlackBerry. Probably as distracting as listening to music in the car, or listening to GPS directions.

i doubt you have a law in your state that prohibits listening to audio in your car.

Last edited by chrisy520; 09-27-10 at 05:24 PM.
    09-27-10 05:22 PM
    No, i agree it's dangerous to text and drive. Or to read emails. That's why Drive Safe.ly is cool. Too many texters on the road imo.

09-27-10 06:46 PM
    Yesterday, there was discussion of trying to make all use of phones, hands-free or not, unlawful. Chances of passage are slim but folks know it is unsafe even hands-free.
    09-28-10 09:04 AM
    Yesterday, there was discussion of trying to make all use of phones, hands-free or not, unlawful. Chances of passage are slim but folks know it is unsafe even hands-free.
    Texting while driving is dangerous and should be outlawed.
    But, in my opinion, using a hands-free phone is no more dangerous than having a conversation with a passenger or listening to music or drinking a soda while driving. And navigation systems are certainly more dangerous than a hands-free phone if you look at the map!
    09-28-10 10:30 AM
    That's distracted driving. The law in my state has nothing to do with audio. It is illegal to use a phone in the car, though.

It's only a matter of time. I would be devastated if I lost my wonderful wife to someone being safely distracted.

I've seen two accidents occur this year right in front of me. I saw the drivers with their phones in their hands thinking they were hiding by holding them through the steering wheel. They both rear ended the vehicle right next to me. It scared me more than you can imagine. Both occurred to my right in the lane next to me. Three years ago, the same thing to my left in Tennessee. A lady hit an SUV just to my left. I looked at her just as she looked at me with her phone right in front of her face as she was rear ended by a pick up. It climbed onto her car.

Drive safe.ly. Yeah, right. Safely distracted.

I'm glad you found something that helps you play with your phone safely as you drive around other people.
    Are you telling me you don't listen to the radio when driving? Or to GPS directions? Both of those are banned in your state? So you can't hook up your MP3 player of BlackBerry to your radio for music? i call BS. Using your phone hands free is not against the law.

Drive Safe.ly read emails aloud. That's no more distracting than listening to the radio, GPS or having a conversation.

09-28-10 11:33 AM
    Here in Florida it's not against the law to use a cell phone when driving.

My point is that listening to emails is as safe as listening to your stereo. That is all. Neither is prohibited in any state.

Driving with one hand is also not against the law.

09-28-10 02:20 PM
    I don't have or use GPS. No need. Listening to audio is not illegal in any state, and you know that. I do not use my phone WHILE I am driving my car. If I need to use it, I get OFF of the road. I don't think I can make it any easier for you to understand. I don't use my phone WHILE I drive. Normally, I can't hear it's alerts while I drive. My stereo drowns it out. I also drive with both hands. I don't see how this is hard to understand.

Look up the law for Georgia. They went into effect on July 1, 2010. Did I mention that I don't use my phone WHILE I drive. I don't need to. I don't want to. Now chill.
    I think the point is that Drivesafe.ly is the same as the stereo (in my case) I have a bluetooth speaker phone and the emails are read via the speakerphone which is the same as playing your stereo. I never look at or pick up my phone while driving either. Anything can be a distraction unless there is silence in the car and the driver is alone.
    09-28-10 02:31 PM
    Then don't buy the Drive Safe.ly app. Why are you posting here if you don't have it and you're not interested in it at all? It's your choice to not use the app. It's others choice TO use the app.

i don't understand what you mean by "fudging the rules." It's neither illegal nor distracting to use the app. No more distracting than you blasting your radio, switching stations and singing.

i haven't seen an update for Drive Safe.ly in a while. What version are they on?

Last edited by chrisy520; 09-28-10 at 03:54 PM.
    09-28-10 03:50 PM
    My question still stands.

09-28-10 04:33 PM
    Wow. I was just pointing out the uses it can be used for that's less distracting. I work 45 minutes from home so I leave earlier sometimes but I need to know when I get a support email or if someone wants me to call them. I then use voice-dialing to call them back all while never touching my phone. No fudging (or arguing) here just pointing out good uses I have encountered. That is all. Have a good evening.
    09-28-10 05:27 PM
    Good app, I like it alot. I wish the voice was sexier sounding LOL
    09-28-10 06:40 PM
    Well, as long as I abide by the forum/site rules, I can post in any thread that I choose to, just as you can, and do, I'm sure. Now are we finished?
    i never said you couldn't post here, or anywhere. i asked you why you are posting in this specific thread, about an app you neither have nor have any interest in. i'm curious what your motivation and goal is. You came into this thread posting your opinion of an app you neither use nor knew what it did. After you understood what the app did, you still are posting against it for some reason. If you don't want the app, why post in a thread discussing the app?

Last edited by chrisy520; 09-28-10 at 07:01 PM.
    09-28-10 06:58 PM
    So you admittedly drove distracted for a month?! What "sucked" about the app other than you can't use it while you drove because it distracts you? How did it distract you? Any more than listening to music or having a conversation? What features didn't work? Which version did you have? There's been many upgrades.

09-28-10 07:26 PM
    This is a good idea for an app but it tries to upgrade 2 or 3 times a day which is really annoying (is there a way to stop this?). Also they want way too much for the pay version... Plus it looks like a yearly subscription, why would you pay for the same program year after year ?

10-09-10 10:19 AM
    ...i haven't seen an update for Drive Safe.ly in a while. What version are they on?...
    The Pro version is on 2.0 as of yesterday.
    10-09-10 08:48 PM
    Texting while driving is dangerous and should be outlawed.
    But, in my opinion, using a hands-free phone is no more dangerous than having a conversation with a passenger or listening to music or drinking a soda while driving. And navigation systems are certainly more dangerous than a hands-free phone if you look at the map!
    ... No seriously! if you cant handle driving while listening to music or some device reading an email, then you shouldn't be on the road in the first place! you probably are one of those safe grand ma like drivers
    10-10-10 12:30 AM
    ... No seriously! if you cant handle driving while listening to music or some device reading an email, then you shouldn't be on the road in the first place! you probably are one of those safe grand ma like drivers
    I was commenting to the person who said that you shouldn't be using this app at all, and I said that this app is great and it's not more dangerous than listening to music or having a conversation with another person in the car!
    Last edited by tellsells; 10-10-10 at 08:50 AM.
    10-10-10 06:12 AM
    I tried the app...too slugish, even V2.

An ML i don't know what you're smoking, 'cuz there's no way a boy can legally drive yet!
    10-10-10 01:05 PM
    Have had nothing but problems after installing the app so I asked for a refund three times. Each time the tech team did reply but requested that i give more information about the problem (app causes my 8900 to crash intermittantly...4 times in two days) Then after the fourth email to support:

Hello,

I fail to see where a refund was refused. Did you follow the steps
    that were suggested by the tech team? The last communication I could
    find was a request to reinstall the application.

Let us know if you have any further questions, we'll be glad to help.

Regards,

- Jack, Customer Relations
    11-03-10 02:52 PM
    If drivesafely is giving you problems try vlingo instead. It will also read your email and text. Plus it offers a few more bells and whistles. I used drivesafely but switched because vlingo will read the entire email vs a set word limit.
    Last edited by pug.country.kennels; 11-03-10 at 03:35 PM.
    11-03-10 03:27 PM

i haven't seen an update for Drive Safe.ly in a while. What version are they on?
    I'm using the free DriveSafe.ly and it's v2.6 now.
    11-05-10 06:50 AM
    I've never used this app or any of its kind, just curios though, do you still have to click on the device for it to read your emails/text messages? Does it do this auto when a new message is received?
    Personally anything that requires takes your eyes off the road, reading gps maps, texting, talking on the phone, fiddling with te radio(ever wonder why they put radio functions on the steering wheel?), so on and so forth, should be outlawed, and yes even listening to the radio is technically a distraction. Your in your car to drive from one location to another. Keep your eyes on the road and drive, leave the multitasking for work.

Cell phones and driving is the worst combination ever. Statistics show it to be proof.

With this being said, yes i use my hands free, listen to gps and/or radio. So just cause I think it should be outlawed doesn't mean I don't do it too. Now i suppose with all this being said, I'm sure someone will flame me now. Flame on
    11-05-10 07:17 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD