I'm looking for a wiresless sync solution for calendar and contacts that are kept and maintained in Outlook. I remember reading in the past that some people had calendar events deleted from Outlook, some that had trouble getting contacts to sync and some that had tons of dupes after syncing. Does it work pretty well these days? I was really trying to avoid getting all my info on the internet, but I can't find any other way to do this wirelessly. I'm running Outlook 2002 and Google requires 2003 or higher to sync, so I don't want to mess with the upgrade if it's not a solid solution.

Thanks.
    05-20-10 05:39 PM
    It is not working perfectly for me. If you sync your Gmail with the phone, I don't think you need a separate Google sync app.

Here are the problems I have:
    Contacts:
    - Multiple duplications of both entries and fields especially if you install a new software.

Calendar
    - Not able to display recurring events. For instance, I use my Google Calendar for work scheduling. Say, Worker A is on from Mon 5/17 to Thurs 5/20, and Worker B is on from 5/21 to 5/24; after syncing to BB Storm, I will have Worker A on 5/17, nothing else on 5/18 to 5/20 and then Worker B will show on 5/21. (Is there a way to fix this).
    - Duplication of entries, I have no idea how this happens.
    05-20-10 06:45 PM
    It is not working perfectly for me. If you sync your Gmail with the phone, I don't think you need a separate Google sync app.

Here are the problems I have:
    Contacts:
    - Multiple duplications of both entries and fields especially if you install a new software.

Calendar
    - Not able to display recurring events. For instance, I use my Google Calendar for work scheduling. Say, Worker A is on from Mon 5/17 to Thurs 5/20, and Worker B is on from 5/21 to 5/24; after syncing to BB Storm, I will have Worker A on 5/17, nothing else on 5/18 to 5/20 and then Worker B will show on 5/21. (Is there a way to fix this).
    - Duplication of entries, I have no idea how this happens.
    Well, unless you're 12 years old and appointments don't really matter, how can people use something that's so screwed up?
    05-20-10 08:53 PM
    I use it and it works flawlessly for sync between Gmail and BB.

Before installing anything, I'd do a backup of the BB, so you can always restore back to your starting point...just in case.

First, under the email settings for gmail, tell it NOT sync your contacts (gmail enhanced plugin) if you're also using Google Sync-- I'm guessing this could cause duplicates...but I can't be certain about that. As far as contacts go, naturally there will have to be some manual configuration at first (especially if you've never synced them up with google). I can assume you'll encounter this if you sync to any source where you already have contacts listed on both sides. If the same contact has a different name on your BB or Outlook as it does on Gmail, for example, you will probably have to clean up the entry. Once you get it squared away, it works VERY well. I can add contacts via the web to Gmail or to my device and they transfer over just fine.

My reoccurring events work just fine too for me, so I don't know why that wouldn't work for everyone. Brown Storm, are you setting up the event via Outlook, or via the Google Calendar web client?

Granted, I'm not syncing my Gmail with Outlook in any way, so I can't talk to much to that.

I do have my Gmail account set up as my "default" email box and calendar on my BB. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.
    05-20-10 09:18 PM
    I can add contacts via the web to Gmail or to my device and they transfer over just fine.

My reoccurring events work just fine too for me, so I don't know why that wouldn't work for everyone. Brown Storm, are you setting up the event via Outlook, or via the Google Calendar web client?

Granted, I'm not syncing my Gmail with Outlook in any way, so I can't talk to much to that.

I do have my Gmail account set up as my "default" email box and calendar on my BB. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.
    Thanks for your input. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I don't have Outlook. I only use the web to enter events on the calendar. The non-appearance of recurring events is really annoying.

I do have work emails (primary) on BES. Could that be the problem?
    05-20-10 10:12 PM
    Besides the initial duplicate and tripled contacts after my first sync google has worked great for me. It was a pain deleting the extra contacts, but im happy with it now. When I first sync'd my gmail account All of my contacts disappeared! Soon after I noticed they were gone they started reappearing and then the headache began of deleting extras.
    05-20-10 10:27 PM
    Like StrateJaket, I'm finally syncing properly between BB, Gmail, iCal, Mac Address Book and my Yahoo contacts (Yahoo calendar is still in beta and isn't working properly). I had some initial clean ups and fortunately I backed up first. My only pet peeves are the recurring events not showing properly and while even though I have photos on my mac address book and google, after every sync they disappear from my BB. No matter how many times I put them back the sync takes them off. Google is apparently aware of this and hopefully is working to fix it. I'm not holding my breath, though.
    05-20-10 10:53 PM
    yes it does
    05-20-10 11:23 PM
    I've had no problem with the calendar, but the contacts messed up all my contacts. No information got lost, just annoying. Suddenly I had three of every contact and the caller ID wasn't displaying.
    05-21-10 01:29 AM
    It's working well for me, and it's one of those forehead smacking things where I should have tried it sooner.

My contacts sync'd up and created a new contact group on Google. I then let Google search for duplicates and merge them (S2 had phone, Google had email address). Another sync updated my S2 with the merged contact info.

The calendar works well, I just add new entries into Google calendar and sync. No duplications.
    05-21-10 07:10 AM
    It's working well for me, and it's one of those forehead smacking things where I should have tried it sooner.

My contacts sync'd up and created a new contact group on Google. I then let Google search for duplicates and merge them (S2 had phone, Google had email address). Another sync updated my S2 with the merged contact info.

The calendar works well, I just add new entries into Google calendar and sync. No duplications.
    I see that you are running .451 (where can I get that?). How is it working? Could your success be due to the OS version you are running. I have .607 on mine.
    05-21-10 07:45 AM
    I see that you are running .451 (where can I get that?). How is it working? Could your success be due to the OS version you are running. I have .607 on mine.
    451 runs much better than 607 for me. With 607 battery life was terrible and it leaked memory.

I didn't try Google Sync when I was running 607 (for all of 6 days) so I don't know if it was the OS or not. I might have just gotten lucky

I think I got 451 from a link on CB. I have the zip file on my computer so when I went back I already had the file.
    05-21-10 08:30 AM
    I'm not sure if this is it or not, but Google sync will only add events to your calendar for a certain amount of time into the future, which you can edit under the settings (I have mine set to 8 weeks).

I'm guessing this is not the case, but is there any chance you have this set to a lower value and the reoccurring events aren't showing up because the next occurrence is beyond the setting for amount of time to sync calendar?
    05-21-10 11:51 AM
    Yeah I'm not sure what you guys are doing wrong because it works fine for me... I add my work schedule into my phone and then can check it on gmail or icalander no problem. Maybe try manually syncing it or see if auto sync is turned off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 11:05 AM
    worked fine for me
    05-22-10 05:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD