I currently start up at 48 MB and then stay at 38MB. My blackberry run fast and great. My question is that I have slimmed down the OS. If I redownloaded Lyricidal's OS and didn't shrink it at all, would my phone still run great? I just think that I spent all this money on a phone only to strip down to the bare minimum. I mean I would erase the languages as those would never do me any good, but I figure I could leave the rest on. What are you thoughts?
    05-14-09 01:34 PM
    I currently start up at 48 MB and then stay at 38MB. My blackberry run fast and great. My question is that I have slimmed down the OS. If I redownloaded Lyricidal's OS and didn't shrink it at all, would my phone still run great? I just think that I spent all this money on a phone only to strip down to the bare minimum. I mean I would erase the languages as those would never do me any good, but I figure I could leave the rest on. What are you thoughts?
    Your phone will be fine. I fail to see why so many in here completely obsess over ap memory. Very overrated, if you ask me.
    05-14-09 01:37 PM
    Your phone will be fine. I fail to see why so many in here completely obsess over ap memory. Very overrated, if you ask me.
    That is what I was thinking. When I was running at 20-25MB of app memory, my phone was still running good. I don't understand why so many people are obsessed with high app memory.
    05-14-09 01:42 PM
    That is what I was thinking. When I was running at 20-25MB of app memory, my phone was still running good. I don't understand why so many people are obsessed with high app memory.
    Its basically like a computer. The more app memory available the more apps you can run at one time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 01:52 PM
    You shouldnt worry with the numbers posted above....if you are getting down to the low teens or something then maybe you have something you need to look into to.
    05-14-09 01:59 PM
    Some people SWEAR that the phone runs slower as the available app memory decreases. I have never seen this.

I have seen my phone running fine with ~10MB free app memory.

I know it's a fun competition around here to see who can run with the highest available free memory, but the whole thing is really overblown.
    05-14-09 02:06 PM
    The concern regarding an absolute number is certainly overblown. However, as soon as my app memory drops below 30 (i start after a batt pull at about 43), my Storm starts to become sluggish. Apps take a bit longer to start and the accelerometer is not as smooth. I know the app memory has dropped due to the behavior of my Storm, I don't watch the numbers.
    05-14-09 02:16 PM
    Yes, a chap with some knowledge said a few weeks ago: Unused RAM is useless RAM.
    As long as the Storm works fast and proper, do not care about it. If Your BB slows down: Pull the battery...

I think the problem came up with all those apps and System Meters SHOWING the amount of RAM used. If You did not know, You would not care.
    05-14-09 02:16 PM
    I fail to see why so many in here completely obsess over ap memory. Very overrated, if you ask me.
    Agreed. I don't ever see a slow down whether I have 40mb or 10mb. Here's some other random thoughts in other threads about memory:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/me...1/#post2554974

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/onl...y-pull-198874/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/how...memory-222789/
    05-14-09 02:20 PM
    I used to think app memory made a difference, but I've been noticing that it makes no difference with my usage. My phone will lag whether app memory is at 24mb or 0k (which I've seen a few times).

My 132 OS storm has 2.4 mb of free app memory now, rebooted at 7 last night. Earlier today it had 120kb free, still ran fine.

I've stopped caring
    05-14-09 02:34 PM
    Just noticed when I switch from the factory theme to VistaComplete theme my memory actually goes up considerably. I thought it would have been the other way around. Interesting....
    05-14-09 02:35 PM
    Just noticed when I switch from the factory theme to VistaComplete theme my memory actually goes up considerably. I thought it would have been the other way around. Interesting....
    That's another reason why people should pay way less attention to app memory. It's way inconsistent, and that **** rarely makes any sense.

It's also pretty well documented that most people see an increase in free memory after running Slacker. Again, no ******* sense.
    05-14-09 02:40 PM
    Everyone talks about app memory, which i never look at nor do regular batt pulls, but did you know there a thing called RAM in the phone too?
    05-14-09 02:43 PM
    Everyone talks about app memory, which i never look at nor do regular batt pulls, but did you know there a thing called RAM in the phone too?
    RAM? I thought the phones were made by RIM. Is that like the difference between BIS and BES?
    ----
    I haven't ever run down app memory to a level where it seemed to affect performance, but there are some things I've loaded that do seem to have an appetite for it. I run one of the apps that auto resets daily, and that seems to keep the value between 20 and 40 MB. That and the install deinstall apps as I play tends to force some full resets.
    05-14-09 03:04 PM
    The most annoying thing about low memory is meterberry telling me it dropped to undue 5mb. I'm gonna stop the warnings as they affect the phones performance a lot more than low memory! Personally I think it runs the same if I've got 30mb or 2mb.

05-14-09 03:04 PM
    [QUOTE=nyr2k2;2556254]That's another reason why people should pay way less attention to app memory. It's way inconsistent, and that **** rarely makes any sense.

Inconsistent doesn't cover it! Different available app memory is displayed on the memory and status screens and my phone will vary from 56mb to below 30mb within a four hours. I think my phone is possessed...lol.
    05-14-09 03:20 PM
    RAM? I thought the phones were made by RIM. Is that like the difference between BIS and BES?
    ----
    I haven't ever run down app memory to a level where it seemed to affect performance, but there are some things I've loaded that do seem to have an appetite for it. I run one of the apps that auto resets daily, and that seems to keep the value between 20 and 40 MB. That and the install deinstall apps as I play tends to force some full resets.

Hmm... Not sure if anyone is kidding... but RAM stands for Random Access Memory. It's volatile memory used for operating, and wiped clean during a reset.

Having decreased mem means more of it is being used (duh), so logically things will be going slower, just the same as on your computer. The difference in the speeds, going from high free app mem to low however, aren't necessarily going to be noticeable.

It DOES make a difference if you have lower app mem, but just not a HUGE substantial difference (depending of course on what you're attempting to do with your phone)
    05-14-09 03:40 PM
    App memory is important, it's just not AS important as most people think it is.

So long as your phone is not suffering from any performance degradation, don't worry about it.
    05-14-09 04:32 PM
    my approach has always been to just use the phone, be mindful of what apps i leave open, if it starts to slow down i check the open apps first, close a few, give it a min, and then if it persists i'll check app mem to see if its low, maybe check the memory database sizes, clear messages, etc.
    05-14-09 04:51 PM
    To the OP's original question...he!! to the no. The only time I would worry about your memory is if your phone is not running well. As long as you've got a solid OS, you probably wont see any performance issues whether you're running with 40 meg or 14. I don't.

Grey
    05-14-09 09:45 PM
    The most annoying thing about low memory is meterberry telling me it dropped to undue 5mb. I'm gonna stop the warnings as they affect the phones performance a lot more than low memory! Personally I think it runs the same if I've got 30mb or 2mb.

This is true...

I will never check my app memory again unless soemthing is seriously wrong...I just had my first ever app memory at less than 1MB while I was testing a theme I am making, I had like 20 versions of it installed because I was too lazy to uninstall them... and my phone was running great....running PERFECT in fact (perfect for a Storm :P)
    05-14-09 09:56 PM
    App memory is important but during testing we ran a storm down to 1mb and the phone was still stable. Talking about 40 plus apps running type of use.. I havent checked mine in so long I almost forget where the option is..
    05-14-09 10:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD