iskoot seems kinda pointless
    Last edited by trini_pirate; 06-19-10 at 01:16 AM.
    06-19-10 01:10 AM
    It is ridiculous that a service which uses data channels to function on yoru computer cannot work using data alone on a Blackberry. The major reason I will not buy a 9700 or any Blackberry is because there is no Skype application for it. Why get a Wi-Fi capable phone that does not make full use of Wi-Fi access? RIM and the major carriers are cobbling a wonderful device.
    06-19-10 08:00 AM
    Using Skype on all mobiles uses call minutes as far as I know.

What happens is that the Skype program calls a gateway and that establishes a data link to your phone and this in turn uses the Skype protocol to contact the far end.

iSkoot does the same thing.

This is imposed by carriers - it has to be since Skype could easily make this work without calling - so that we do not all get free calls worldwide, forever.

Long term, I can see call minutes going out the window. If I have a fast data link and a digital phone, why do I need a voice channel at all? It is only historic.
    06-19-10 09:02 AM
    It is ridiculous that a service which uses data channels to function on yoru computer cannot work using data alone on a Blackberry. The major reason I will not buy a 9700 or any Blackberry is because there is no Skype application for it. Why get a Wi-Fi capable phone that does not make full use of Wi-Fi access? RIM and the major carriers are cobbling a wonderful device.
    buy a verizon blackberry and stop complaining.
    06-19-10 02:21 PM
    Okay...I gather Iskoot works on the BB9700..... Does it work only if you have internet on your phone from the service provider OR does it work with just WiFi? Please Help!!! Thanks
    06-20-10 11:22 PM
    Okay...I gather Iskoot works on the BB9700..... Does it work only if you have internet on your phone from the service provider OR does it work with just WiFi? Please Help!!! Thanks
    Doesn't matter, it just works. You'll have no problems chatting. Use the landline number of yours and see if it'll avoid using minutes from your account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 11:34 PM
    I can also confirm that iSkoot works on the 9700.

However I have found a copy of the old Skype beta software and here it is.

I cannot give ANY support and you use it entirely at your own risk.

Following this thread to see if any news yet on Skype for 9700. Could you please repost your beta link as it seems to have vanished! Really would like to give it a try.

07-26-10 03:22 PM
    Sms and skype so called VoIP is happening on te 7th layer it is junk, rubbish, my friends and carrier are taking big money.
    There e is nothin happening on 7th layer of the internet........
    So don't go mad after reading this eeeeheheheheheheheeehe
    You won't beleve like my security advise.

Last edited by ray germany; 07-26-10 at 05:42 PM.
    07-26-10 05:39 PM
    Hush Ray... you're talking rubbish again

07-26-10 05:45 PM
    Doesn't matter, it just works. You'll have no problems chatting. Use the landline number of yours and see if it'll avoid using minutes from your account.

To be frank, you will NOT see it happen. There is a reason Verizon paid Skype for exclusivity, and you can't get around it.

Sms and skype so called VoIP is happening on te 7th layer it is junk, rubbish, my friends and carrier are taking big money.
    There e is nothin happening on 7th layer of the internet........
    So don't go mad after reading this eeeeheheheheheheheeehe
    You won't beleve like my security advise.

LOLwut
    07-26-10 07:45 PM
    iskoot is the best alternative. It does use minutes, so I don't know what the others are talking about putting in your home number...

However, for those complaining that it uses minutes, most of us have free nights and weekends anyway... and if you're lucky enough to be grandfathered into t-mobile's UMA unlimited hotspot minutes, then you can effectively talk on skype over wi-fi. cheers!
    07-29-10 04:47 AM
    Following this thread to see if any news yet on Skype for 9700. Could you please repost your beta link as it seems to have vanished! Really would like to give it a try.

Look at the end of post #9 and you will see the attached file.
    07-29-10 05:00 AM
    iskoot is the best alternative. It does use minutes, so I don't know what the others are talking about putting in your home number...

However, for those complaining that it uses minutes, most of us have free nights and weekends anyway... and if you're lucky enough to be grandfathered into t-mobile's UMA unlimited hotspot minutes, then you can effectively talk on skype over wi-fi. cheers!
    iSkoot does seem to be the best option on a BlackBerry right now.

From home, just use Skype on you PC. Skype to Skype really is free then.

I was once stuck in an airport and had some urgent stuff to clear up so I thethered my laptop using Tether and used Sype on my laptop to make Skype to Skype and Skype out calls. It worked well enogh to get me out of trouble but it's not a reccomended, long term solution. Just thought I'd pass it on though.
    07-29-10 05:04 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD