I have had the dictionary app for almost a year. Never had a problem until today. When I press the speaker button to hear pronunciation I get a screen saying this:

Can someone please tell me how to solve it? I have tried battery pull and re-installing but nothing worked.
    04-24-10 09:20 PM
    Yeah, same problem started today for me.

I sent an e-mail to their tech support, but the last time I contacted them about something they never replied. So, I don't know how optimistic to be about getting a reply this time.

Maybe if everyone with this problem contacts them? (The tech support e-mail address is on the app's page on BlackBerry App World.)
    04-24-10 11:12 PM
    glad to hear I am not the only one. Anyone else has this issue? Any fix to this? Thanks again.
    04-24-10 11:33 PM
    glad to hear I am not the only one. Anyone else has this issue? Any fix to this? Thanks again.
    You are not alone. I have experienced this since yesterday on my 9700/.593. No fix or response yet from Dictionary.com. Gotta be something on their (server) side. Hope it gets fixed soon, because I use the app a lot.

EDIT: Dic version- 0.2.252
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 04-25-10 at 08:06 AM.
    04-25-10 08:02 AM
    This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I deleted and reinstalled the app and haven't had a problem since.
    04-25-10 08:25 AM
    As Calvinc stated in the original post, battery pulls, and/or deleting & re-installing does not fix the issue at this point in time. At least for us.
    04-25-10 08:56 AM
    That's really peculiar. I suppose I just got lucky. One thing I forgot to mention was that after deleting, resetting and reinstalling, I went into permissions and set all to allow, but you've likely done that too. Did either of you install anything new before the app started acting up?

PS - sorry for missing that in the initial post. Now have coffee!
    04-25-10 09:38 AM
    Count me in I guess I could re install.
    04-25-10 11:39 AM
    Re-installing does not fix this issue. I did two re-installs, along with several battery pulls, with no resolution to the problem.
    04-25-10 11:51 AM
    So I just tried it again and I'm getting the same error. Like I said earlier, it happened to me a couple of weeks ago and reinstalling seemed to fix it. However, given what you guys are experiencing, it seems now like my reinstall just coincided with something external that initially resolved the error. Hopefully the app support people will resolve this soon.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-25-10 06:04 PM
    I have the same problem on my tour.
    04-25-10 06:31 PM
    Its a frustrating bug, but it really doesn't make much of a difference for me. I never used it. I just tried it on a whim and noticed that it didn't work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-10 09:23 PM
    It's still not working. Any fixes we can do ourselves?
    04-29-10 01:43 PM
    A follow-up email was sent again. Still no reply for me.
    04-29-10 01:59 PM
    I also have not received any response to my e-mail sent to Dictionary.com customer support last weekend. It's disappointing that such a widespread experienced error hasn't been addressed yet. And, to not even have a stock response to e-mail inquiries, well that's also disappointing...
    04-29-10 07:21 PM
    And, to not even have a stock response to e-mail inquiries, well that's also disappointing...
    That's what I say...
    I also sent them a DM 2 days ago on Twitter with a Bit.ly link to this thread. I hope that gets them in gear, since it is not just one person. #Fail.
    04-29-10 08:04 PM
    I just tested the app again, and...

...hooray, the pronunciation feature is working again!

I'd like to know what was done to fix the problem. But, regardless, I'm happy to have the feature working once more.
    04-30-10 12:08 AM
    I'd like to know what was done to fix the problem. But, regardless, I'm happy to have the feature working once more.
    Thanks for the heads up! Good info. After I saw your post, I now see it's working for me too....

As I stated before, it was obviously a server side issue, with no app update needed; however, I still have reservations & concerns as to why no one could provide any courtesy reply emails. Just because they can identify the problem, and will get it fixed in a relatively short amount of time, does not mean that they should leave adopters in limbo. I suspect because it's free, they don't really care. Anyway, I'm happy to have it back.
    04-30-10 04:50 AM
    yay it's back for me as well.
    04-30-10 12:26 PM
    I want to bump this thread because I got this error every time I search for a word today. Had nothing to do with pronunciation, simply searching for a word gave me this error. Which closed down the app upon clicking OK. Its also worthy to note that I received another error just before this one at times that said connection could not be established or something along those lines. Even though as soon as I pressed enter, the word's definition came up, so the app WAS online, it just gave that error before the one shown in the first post of this thread.

Anything similar with other users?

It seems to be working fine now mind you. But it happened about 20 times (the number of times I tried using the app essentially) before giving up.

And what's up with their customer support? Do they even exist? Not a whisper from them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-10 01:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD