Oh boy here we go, asking for slap If you had any idea what you were talking about you would know you're remedial math degree doesn't carry over to the world of computers. The reason you only have 879.2 MB of device memory isn't just the 1k conversion, its also the space required for FORMATTING and INDEXES to access the memory.

And it does not appear your remedial math degree has taught you addition as of yet! How is it you are able to take 879.2 MB out of 1 GB and have 128 MB left? If your gig is 1024 MB and you have 879.2 MB than you have 144.8 MB free, not the 128 App space you think its partitioned into. If your gig was 1000 MB, than after the 879.2 MB you are left with 120.8 MB, AGAIN not 128 MB. So if you advanced beyond remedial math you would have figured out you were clueless and have shut up a long time ago.

I understand its Friday night, you just got out of work, but please put the bong down before you come on here and pretend you could tie your own shoe laces.

Seriously, with all the people complaining about app memory, do you really think RIM wouldn't have made the change already if it were that easy as changing a partition?

It does not display RAM because it HAS NO RAM! Find me a data sheet and show me the ram chip you think is on there, its not there!

So you think the storm has 128 MB of RAM, and 128 MB of app memory, and they are not the same thing? So the point in RIM spending money on 2 chips is to be able to load 128 MB from the App memory into the 128 MB of RAM? Why bother? When you install your OS and your files, and play with shrinking it down you will see they are the same space!
    So did you read the links I posted before you opened YOUR mouth? I'm gonna go with "no."

Also, you might want to look up the word "about." Here, I'll do it for you:
    about definition | Dictionary.com
    3. near; close to: a man about my height; about six o'clock.
    I didn't say it was EXACTLY 128MB off, I said about. To suggest the phone used ~128MB of storage for indexes and formatting is laughable. It's more realistic that it used about 16megs of memory (the difference if you use the 1024 standard). I'll give it to you that I'm using "about" pretty loosely though.

It does not display RAM because it HAS NO RAM! Find me a data sheet and show me the ram chip you think is on there, its not there!
    The Data sheet, do pay attention to this part:
    Memory 128 MB RAM memory, 1 GB eMMC
    http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/files/...pec20sheet.pdf

The "192" comment, came from VZW's site. Go there and check on your own. (Won't let me direct link to the page.)
    Last edited by Joel S.; 04-17-09 at 04:55 PM.
    04-17-09 04:34 PM
    Reminds me of Bill Gates statement that noone would ever need anything larger than 640K
    There's also him saying that OS/2 is the future successor to DOS. Not sure why anyone takes that guy seriously. He's a complete *****. He bought DOS, Daddy was on the IBM board which is how he got the meeting in the first place. He allegedly stole the BASIC compiler that made up Microsoft's first product, from DEC. While Gates was at the helm of the company, he completely missed the boat on the Internet, and the only real successes the company ever had were DOS, Windows, and Office. They might have been runaway successes, but all other products either lost the company money, or barely broke even. The company missed trend after trend after trend, and if not for the huge amounts of money that came rolling in from those three successful products, no one would even remember Microsoft existed today.

Steve Jobs is an egotistical pr!ck, in true SF Bay Area fashion, but he's also got a pretty good track record for spotting trends. Granted his time at NeXT was pretty unremarkable, but he did take the technical genius of Woz and turn it into Apple Computer, and then brought the company back from the brink of death in his second coming.

But getting back more to the point... It's difficult to accurately predict trends 2-3 years out like cell phone makers are expected to do. Apple got lucky with the Jesus Phone. History is littered with products that were brought to market a few years before the market was ready for such ideas. Case in point is BeOS, the one time contender for Mac OS X. The OS was written from the ground up to be fully multi-threaded, and had it arrived maybe 5 years later, when dual and quad core CPUs were hitting the market, it absolutely would have blown everything else out of the water. Apple released the Jesus Phone more or less at exactly the right time. That's more luck than anything. Had it come out a year earlier or later, it could have just as easily flopped.
    04-17-09 04:40 PM
    In my defense, for about 2 months of that time I was unemployed, and lately it's been kind of slow at work. Plus those d@mn lazy serfs are taking their sweet @ss time with the reupholstering of my throne.

But yes, we all want more app memory. The problem is, we're unlikely to get it with the Storm. Was it a mistake to have only 128MB of app memory with the Storm? Probably, but 2-3 years ago when the decision was made on that front, it probably seemed like plenty.
    sorry about the work situation. i know its tough. my bad
    04-18-09 01:38 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD