I know that wiping a device and installing an OS from scratch is best, to eliminate corrupted files that cause memory leaks. I finally wiped my device two days ago, and it has made a huge improvement to my available app memory.

What about upgrading apps? Does the same theory apply? Will upgrading leave corrupt files behind? Should I delete than reinstall the upgraded version of an app, or is ok to just upgrade it?
    07-01-09 08:54 AM
    Hmmm. That's a great question. I know I recently had an issue with BerryWeather where it wasn't updating all of my locations, just some, but it also seemed to be draining the battery a bit abnormally - anywhere between 8% and 18% per hour.

I uninstalled the app, rebooted the device and reinstalled it. Set the same locations and it seems to have made a dramatic difference. Not only have all of my locations been updating on an hourly basis, but my battery drain rate has been significantly improved where it's only discharging about 2% per hour. Something corrupt in the initial installation? Maybe.

I think there's definitely something that could be said for uninstalling an app from the device and then installing the updated version of it.
    07-01-09 09:49 AM
    Upgrading it OTA will be fine, without deleting the existing version. Your database corruption (if it existed) is more likely to return from restoring your old data after reinstalling the OS.
    07-01-09 09:49 AM
    Upgrading it OTA will be fine, without deleting the existing version. Your database corruption (if it existed) is more likely to return from restoring your old data after reinstalling the OS.
    I think this true in the vast majority of cases, but I'd have to imagine that some OTA's go haywire and lead to something corrupt within the installation. Agreed completely that restoring from a backup is more likely to cause a corruption issue, however.
    07-01-09 10:07 AM
    I know some programs, i.e. Viigo, require you to uninstall before downloading a newer version. I did experience the same problem with BerryWeather that grgiwoyna did. I've had one other program that only overwrote certain modules, but not all of them and I wound up having to delete it and reinstall it. I think the program was that tower game, but I'm not certain.
    07-01-09 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD