Updated table (Cnectd)

Need to add BeeJive
    12-02-11 10:18 AM
    I am leaving this table as a reference to anyone out there wanting a comparison,

please feel free to update and add at will. I will no longer update it because of time constraints.

The good people at Cnectd handed me 5 codes to hand out to users to test their new revamped client that is now in private beta testing. First 5 to respond will get the download link and a premium code

bermie2000 likes this.
    12-07-11 06:05 AM
    I am leaving this table as a reference to anyone out there wanting a comparison,

please feel free to update and add at will. I will no longer update it because of time constraints.

The good people at Cnectd handed me 5 codes to hand out to users to test their new revamped client that is now in private beta testing. First 5 to respond will get the download link and a premium code

Hi--I'd like the cnectd code, if still available!--does this mean we can share with 2 people (so 3 in total) or only 1 download and we have to find others on cnectd?

Also, in reference to "Got info from Enflick (PingChat). They will be launching a new and revamped messenger soon"--I just got an update for their new client, "Touch"... but, the problem is, I can go through their "existing pingchat! or touch user link and sign in fine.. but when i get to the next page about additional info needed to complete my account (email/name/password), to update account, it says there are issues signing me in and make sure I have a strong internet connection (which I do, both over wifi and data, no problems with anything else). Mind sharing their email so I can contact them directly?
    12-07-11 09:06 AM

if still avail ill take one pls.
    12-07-11 09:29 AM
    Bermie2000 and ardew got their code.... 3 left !
    ardew likes this.
    12-07-11 10:15 AM
    Tried installing the new cnectd client--first two times, got into a reboot loop 2x. Thenm, get uncaught exception errors @ startup. Then, when trying to run it, reboots phone. Now getting a white screen on reboot and JVM Error 529, clicking continue gives white screen with perpetual spinning clock... FIRST time phone's been this messed up in over 5 years (never had a reboot loop or white screen before)

(I haven't yet even been able to run it to get to screen to enter license key).
    12-07-11 10:51 AM
    Tried installing the new cnectd client--first two times, got into a reboot loop 2x. Thenm, get uncaught exception errors @ startup. Then, when trying to run it, reboots phone. Now getting a white screen on reboot and JVM Error 529, clicking continue gives white screen with perpetual spinning clock... FIRST time phone's been this messed up in over 5 years (never had a reboot loop or white screen before)

(I haven't yet even been able to run it to get to screen to enter license key).
    The error is uncaught exception: java.lang.illegalargument exception
    12-07-11 10:53 AM
    downloading now.
    thanks.
    12-07-11 10:55 AM
    downloading now.
    thanks.
    12-07-11 10:56 AM
    downloading now.
    thanks.
    Let me know if you get the same issues. I just deleted it and rebooted, no uncaught exceptions now. Doing full backup (for up to date one, just in case!), will try downloading again, just in case something weird happened the first time.
    12-07-11 11:01 AM
    Ok, round two:
    No reboot on install, but before it fully installed, got a "Uncaught exception:java.lang.NullPointerException" pop-up, then a pop-up saying it was successfully installed. Upon trying to run it though, keep getting the nullpointerexception error message.

Still haven't been able to test it, as I cannot run it. <<frustrating>>
    Should I go ahead and email their support team, or do you have a contact name/address I should try first?
    12-07-11 11:17 AM
    One feature set that i would certainly look for:

Does the universal messenger work over generic data plan?

IM+ works.
    Have just downloaded Trillian. still to install and see if it works over general data plan.
    Whats app doesnt work over a generic data plan. works only on a BB data plan.
    12-07-11 12:49 PM
    Ok, round two:
    No reboot on install, but before it fully installed, got a "Uncaught exception:java.lang.NullPointerException" pop-up, then a pop-up saying it was successfully installed. Upon trying to run it though, keep getting the nullpointerexception error message.

Still haven't been able to test it, as I cannot run it. <<frustrating>>
    Should I go ahead and email their support team, or do you have a contact name/address I should try first?
    Please contact their support team.
    12-08-11 05:54 AM
    Need to edit pricing for:

IM+ done
    Trillian Pro Impossible to obtain pricing without registering
    I've been a Trillian user for years, first on my PC's, then BlackBerry when it came out. The Pro version of Trillian for BlackBerry is easily purchased in the BlackBerry AppWorld - price is $4.99.
    12-08-11 08:45 AM
    if you still have an invite for cnectd i'd like to try it.
    12-11-11 02:17 AM
    New Pingchat replacement - Touch

PROS
    - Fast send/receive/notify
    - Integration to BB profile for sound notifications, etc (KiK doesn't do this)
    - Not tied to phone number (can use same account on multiple devices)
    - Can delete account from phone (Whatsapp requires contacting support)
    - Supports both direct messaging and "experiences" which are more group
    - Shows Send / Delivered and READ
    - Shows "... is typing"

CONS
    - No support for location, video, audio sharing, photo saving as on PingChat (many complaints from users)
    - Pictures cannot be added after creating your initial experience (??)
    - Pictures, audio, video, location cannot be sent in chat -- the chat only supports text (images have to go in as experiences subject to above limitations)
    - No integration to the BB inbox - messages only via icon bar at top
    - No "send to" integration for directly sharing photos
    - Lots of complaints about lost user lists during upgrade from PingChat
    - iPhone notifications too quiet
    - Can't add friends directly - have to pick them up from address book?

For pure integration to the BlackBerry device - WhatsApp is still the one to beat imho. It supports notifications directly in your email inbox, provides for "send to" integration for photos and has a much larger installed base (your friends are more likely to use it).

At first glance PingChat -- now Touch -- seems to have created a copy of the iPhone application Path which allows for sharing of experiences or moments (these apps now seems to come up with their own catchy descriptions of what's essentially multi-media group chat).

What I like about Touch vs Path:

- It's available on BlackBerry, Android, iOS (Path is only Android/iOS)
    - Touch allows for real time private chat
    - Touch allows for simultaneous "experiences" with as few or as many friends - Path sharing is open to all the friends you've added
    Last edited by mas90guru; 12-11-11 at 04:19 PM.
    12-11-11 06:37 AM
    if you still have an invite for cnectd i'd like to try it.
    sent.

2 more codes remaining...
    12-11-11 12:54 PM
    XMS is also a cool app from ebuddy
    12-12-11 05:54 PM
    Great work, absolutely appreciate your hard work that was put in for the research.

I only wanted to add under WhatsApp's group chat, one can only ADD users on group chat (maximum is 9 if I am not wrong) but the main problem with it is that you cannot Remove any user from the group chat. I think that sucks!
    01-23-12 07:07 AM
    XMS is also a cool app from ebuddy
    x2, my favorite so far
    03-08-12 02:40 PM
    U still have any of the codes left?
    03-14-12 03:00 PM
    So without having to look at the chart, what would you say are the top 5 messengers? And then the one which suits you best personally.
    03-15-12 01:15 PM
    U still have any of the codes left?
    Unfortunately no.

So without having to look at the chart, what would you say are the top 5 messengers? And then the one which suits you best personally.
    I personally use Whatsapp cause most of my friends and relatives use it.

I can't talk about the others, cause most of those reviewed are either completely overhauled or dead.

- Pingchat became Touch, a sort of experience sharing messenger app. Latest update 27th january 2012
    Good update rate and support

- Pingme has been overhauled, latest update 12th march 2012
    Fast update rate and support

- Whatsapp for blackberry is in beta at the moment and is being completely overhauled, rapid updates (beta)
    Fast update rate and support

- Liveprofile is..... ?? dead ?? (latest blog entry is from august 2011)

- Hookt is..... ?? dead ?? (no new versions/updates on any mobile platform since mid 2011)

- KiK has imho the nicest layout but isn't build with blackberry api's meaning it doesn't integrate at all (custom push notifications/ custom sound profiles), latest update 10th january 2012
    Good update rate and support

- Fast society is dead.

- GroupMe, latest Blackberry update was 8th august 2011
    Slow update rate

- Kakoatalk, up and coming, latest update 29th february 2012
    Fast update rate

- Cnectd, latest update was december 2011
    Moderate update rate, good support

- H!Hello is ..... ?? dead ??

- eBuddy XMS, latest update 6th march 2012

take your pick
    03-16-12 01:45 PM