Hi branta, thanks 4 your help. I downloaded Crackutil from the first page, unzip and install the file. Yes, the "Crackutil" icon was at my desktop. I connected my phone via usb to the desktop and clicked the program ans it still says Error Code 2: System cannot find file specified. Even when my phone is not connected to the usb, it still says "Error Code 2" Whenever I open the program. Do you know why?
    You must also have Desktop Manager installed on your PC. Also there are special instructions in the Help file and in the start of this thread if you are runing Vista.
    12-05-08 03:29 AM
    It doesn't work for me. It launches, but it won't do anything. I click on an option, like take a screenshot, and I get a pop up that says either my bb isn't attached or my password is incorrect. I click ok, and the program closes.
    Sorry to hear this but there must be something that we can do.

There are some pre-requsites for running CtrackUtil.

- Desktop Manager must be installed and must have previously connected to the BlackBerry. You must not run Desktop Manager whilst you run CrackUtil.

- The phone must be connected before you run the program.

- Have a reead of my first post in this thread to see if any of the info up there helps.

I know this program works on both XP SP3 and Vista 32.
    I am having the same issue as c0rrine described, but am running Vista 64. Does the program not work with Vista 64? I have made the admin changes as the instructions said.

Thanks!
    12-08-08 12:46 AM
    I am having the same issue as c0rrine described, but am running Vista 64. Does the program not work with Vista 64? I have made the admin changes as the instructions said.

Thanks!
    I just spoke to the programmer who laughed and told me that he developed CrackUtil under Vista 64. I can only suggest that yu check the steps in my OP relating to Vista installation. Maybe you already did this.

What happens when you try to run it? MAybe we can work it out from there.
    12-10-08 12:55 PM
    While installing CrackUtil, my machine's anti-virus software detected Mal/Behav-053, a malware whose members are typically worms with backdoor functionality and may include Trojan components. The file under quarantine is C:\Program Files\CrackUtil\is-T90LG.tmp. What exactly is this tmp file and what does it do?
    01-05-09 10:25 AM
    While installing CrackUtil, my machine's anti-virus software detected Mal/Behav-053, a malware whose members are typically worms with backdoor functionality and may include Trojan components. The file under quarantine is C:\Program Files\CrackUtil\is-T90LG.tmp. What exactly is this tmp file and what does it do?
    I just downloaded the same file you did from the link at the end of my OP and installed it on my PC. The file you mentioned did not apear in my CrackUtil folder. I am puzzled. Can you actually see the file in question?

There have been over 1400 downloads of CrackUtil and you are the 1st to detect this.

Which antivirs program are you running?
    01-06-09 02:27 PM
    Sophos Anti-Virus says CrackUtil is virus: Mal/Behav-053
    01-07-09 09:06 AM
    aaacccck, When I install it the corp. antivirus sees the "crack" and apparently thinks it's a virus and won't let it run.
    Please try to be reasonable. It might be a heuristic false-positive, and having crack in a file name is not going to influence detection.

It could also be that the last version of crackutil is genuinely infected, by accident or otherwise.

Lastly, if it is bad news, users will not see anything anyway because viruses tend not create animations that jump up and down on the desktop. A virus is more likely to download personal data from a BB, and sting your users 6 months later
    01-07-09 09:48 AM
    I just downloaded it again and can't find anything wrong with it. For mr there are no viruses. I scanned the .zip file the unzipped .exe file and the installed folder in C:\Program FIles\CrackUtil and found no viruses in any of them.

This does not mean that there are none. It only means that I did not find anything.

We need more information. We need to know SPECIFICALLY which file is supposed to be infected.

Inside the CrackUtil.exe file when it has been unzipped are three files.
    CrackUtil.exe - the program file
    CrackUtil.chm - the help file
    Javaoader.exe - RIM's utility that CrackUtil uses to execute commands on the BlackBerry.

The install file is built using Inno Setup Compiler 5.2.3 and the Help file is written in Word 2003 and saved as .htm files. These are then compiled into the .chm file using Abee Chm Maker.

If more people would like to scan any or all of their files and post replies then I and other users would be most grateful.

I had a problem with the title word Crack when an email server refused to let it through for the same reason. This is just a bad piece of AV programming. If I were a burglar I would not wear a Tee shirt saying so. AV programs need to look inside files not reject joke files that are titled "Crack Me Up". See what I mean.

I hope that this is a false positive. I am sure that Sophos is a very good AV product. I have a couple of customers that use it. However it is not in the current Top Ten list of reviewed products AntiVirus Software Review 2009 - TopTenREVIEWS.
    Last edited by Pete6; 01-07-09 at 10:57 AM.
    01-07-09 10:51 AM
    I just deleted CrackUtil from my PC and downloaded and installed it again. I use Symantec Antivirus with liveupdate 1/7/2009 Rev 2. It did not find any malware in CrackUtil during installation or use.
    01-07-09 11:03 AM
    I was not allowed to login to the corp. network without Sophos installed. They made this happen!

I think its a false positive because the icon is orange instead of red. Scientific, aren't I? Below is the undoctored screen grab of Sophos' warning. This happens only with crackutil.exe
    01-07-09 11:15 AM
    Ive downloaded it twice, no issues here either.
    01-07-09 11:20 AM
    The issue is with Sophos. I'm not sure if the "crack" in the file name is a key or not but I was unable to download it on my work PC with Sophos running. Downloaded at home with no problems. Flash drives are wonderful inventions.
    01-07-09 11:23 AM
    I think likewise. This is a Sophos false positive (I had a girlfriend like that once - scary). I feel sorry for flop though. He can't install CrackUtil.
    01-07-09 11:32 AM
    no worries. I'll make Sophos crash
    01-07-09 11:36 AM
    Ahhhh, I hear the sound of the network police coming to inspect your PC.
    01-07-09 11:37 AM
    I just went to another PC runningBitDefender and it shows CrackUtil as clean. I have a customer laptop here running AVG and I too says my program is clean. I was using Vipre on my own PC so I think that Sophos may be picking up on the word Crack.

flop, could you try also installing CrackPic and/or CrackMem please just to check if it is really the name. Also try any other program not called Crack*. Thanks, man.
    01-07-09 11:47 AM
    i love this soft
    01-07-09 11:52 AM
    I have submitted the file to Sophos and hopefully they will update their software accordingly

Renamed javaloader.exe to crackjavaloader.exe and Sophos said it was clean. I'm certain it has nothing to do with the filename, and it would be good to have Sophos update their heuristics because its obviously too sensitive.
    Last edited by flop; 01-07-09 at 03:49 PM.
    01-07-09 03:43 PM
    I too have Sophos detecting a virus with CrackUtil. I can't afford to bring on the wrath of our corporate IT as my machine was actually recently infected. I'll stick with the JavaLoader utility itself.
    01-07-09 04:37 PM
    I have submitted the file to Sophos and hopefully they will update their software accordingly

Renamed javaloader.exe to crackjavaloader.exe and Sophos said it was clean. I'm certain it has nothing to do with the filename, and it would be good to have Sophos update their heuristics because its obviously too sensitive.
    Thank you for doing this. It is a little worriying to see a post like yours. I immediately think - AAAaaaarrrrgggg!!! but happily it turned out to be a false alarm.

You see not all mods are like prison camp guards. Some of us are far worse .
    01-07-09 04:39 PM
    Nothing found here either Pete and I have crackmem on 4 computers
    01-07-09 05:10 PM
    Nothing found here either Pete and I have crackmem on 4 computers
    Thanks for checking. The last thing I want is a virus panic. As it turned out this was a false positive but, even so....
    01-08-09 11:52 AM
    Sophos have confirmed that CrackUtil is clean. I'm sorry for alarming you!!

However, Sophos have also not confessed that its a false-positive. This is nuts because I was actually not the first person to raise the alarm. Have Sophos implied that my screenshot was faked? Maybe I'll sue for libel

I guess this means they won't change anything and that CrackUtil won't work for Sophos users
    Last edited by flop; 01-09-09 at 01:48 PM.
    01-09-09 01:45 PM
    Sophos have confirmed that CrackUtil is clean. I'm sorry for alarming you!!

However, Sophos have also not confessed that its a false-positive. This is nuts because I was actually not the first person to raise the alarm. Have Sophos implied that my screenshot was faked? Maybe I'll sue for libel

I guess this means they won't change anything and that CrackUtil won't work for Sophos users
    Hey man, thanks for posting. It is really good to have confirmed what we knew all along, CrackUtil is clean.

It also sounds like Sophos are denying all responsibility, all shapes, all sizes and all colors. As I said earlier, it's like an ex-gf of mine who had a false positive which, is always worrying.
    01-09-09 04:25 PM
    Downloaded the program and trying to retrieve the files on my BB 8900 running 4.6.1.114.
    It sees the device, shows the software and event log, but when I press 'retrieve file listing' I get the following error: " 'true' is not a valid floating point value"
    If I do it a second time after this error, I get " I/O Error 32 "

Running it on XP. Any advice....My bb and software too new for this handy program?

Thanks.
    01-10-09 08:40 AM
851 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD