CrackMem V3.x released
WHERE IS THE CRACKMEM DOWNLOAD LINK?
To find the download link, look at the very end of this first post.
You can see the zip file just below the bottom of the picture of CrackMem.
1/21/09 - CrackMem V3.4 is here
1/21/09 -CrackMem V3.3 is here
1/21/09 -CrackMem V3.2 is here THIS VERSION IS DEFECTIVE AND DOES NOT REMOVE FACEBOOK AND FLICKR.
12/8/08 -CrackMem V3.1 is here
11/12/08 - CrackMem V3.0 is here
11/3/08 -CrackMem V2.9 is here (2.8 got lost somewhere)
10/10/08-CrackMem V2.7 is here
10/1/08 -CrackMem V2.6 is here
9/04/08 -CrackMem V2.5 is here
7/24/08 -CrackMem V2.4 is here.
7/21/08 -CrackMem V2.3 is here.
7/17/08 - CrackMem V2.2 is here.
7/17/08 - CrackMem V2.1 is here.
CrackMem V2.0 is here.
CrackMem3.4 3645 downloads
Added Remove Visual VoiceMail
Changed the names of two removed filesets in Facebook and Flickr
Added to Help text.
Added files for Storm and 8220
CrackMem3.1 6557 downloads
Added Remove Google, Facebook, Flickr, VZW Navigator, ICQ
CrackMem 3.0 Just another number on the way up. 1846 downloads
-Changed 9000 Series button to be OS 4.5 Specific text change only
-Removed the confirmation box when running Desktop Manager. Now it just launches when you click the button
-Changed OS 4.6 Games removal button for 9000 series
CrackMem v2.9 (v.28 did not happen. It just got lost in the numbering system someplace).
-Added Donate button so please support my programmer's pizza fund.
-Added 9000 series specific panel
-Added net_rim_tmo_five_lib.cod to T-Mobile My-Faves removal
-Added net_rim_bb_medialoader_114_five_icon_library.cod to 9000 series T-Mobile icon library removal
-Added 9000 series button to remove Music and Wallpaper
-Added Games removal button for 9000 series
-Added RENAME DOCUMENTSTOGO alx FILE function.
-Changes to Help text to reflect visual changes and text to support new function
CrackMem 2.6 (464 downloads).
I am no longer saying that this is the final version. It is getting embarrasing. Changes this time around are:
-Fixed bug where Vendor.xml was not deleted if there was already a copy in RemovedFiles by deleting copy in RemovedFies.
-Changes to Help text. Removed step 18 from step-by-step guide as it was confusing.
-Removed files from 9000 series OSs
In Carrier Themes
In Pre-Loaded Wallpaper
In Sample Video
CrackMem 2.5 is hopefully (really) the final version (1054 downloads).
I said that last time and I was wrong. Maybe I should not be so optimistic.
Cthanges in 2.5 are minor. The only functional change is the removal of single file group net_rim_bb_media_88*.cod for 88xx series phones.
I added some more test to the help file and color coded different sections.
Fixed a problem where the Help text was not available when run from the Start menu.
Fixed a problem with installing and running when C: is not the boot drive.
CrackMem 2.4 is hopefully the final version (1460 downlaods).
The install now works on all versions of Vista including 64 bit system
I fixed the non-working Help button
The Help text has been considerably updated
ToolTips work on all buttons so you can see what you are about to do before you press the button
I found a little BlackBerry icon for the program - ah, sweet.
CrackMem 2.3 now installs as a proper Windows application. It has Windows style help.
There is support (untested so I need feedback) for Vista 64 bit systems.
Under Vista you need to take one additional step after installation on all versions of Vista.
Right click on the CrackMem icon and scroll to Properties.
Select Properties and then on the next panel, select COmpatability and then click Run this program as an administrator. This only need to be done once right after installation.
- Fixed non-working Help button
- Updated Help documentation
- Minor changes to menu text
- ToolTips work on all buttons so you can see what you are about to do before you press the button
- Put a BlackBerry Icon on the program
- Updated Help text to Windows standard Help
- Made more room for expansion in main panel
- Changed panel background color to blue
- Changed selected OS display from Red to Blue
- Added net_rim_bb_medialoader_320x240_b.cod
and net_rim_bb_medialoader_240x260_b.cod to
- Remove wallpaper module.
- Added ToolTips to buttons
- Used Windows install
- Support for Windows Vista 32 bit and 64 bit systems.
- ToolTips on all buttons
- a password BrickMyPhone must be typed before the Wipe Phone function will operate
- added remove tty
- added to help text
- changed the look from vertical to horizonal panel to gove more space
- fixed non-working Put It Back button
In v2.1 I have added
- removal tools for Yahoo, AIM and MSN.
- slightly changed the visual look.
- fixed a couple of bugs
- improved various dialogs
- requested a passphrase of ' BrickMyPhone ' on the Wipe Device button before proceeding
- improved the help text.
CrackMem is a free utility for helping to optimize the BlackBerry's memory. It has only been tested on 8xxx series phones.
This is a major revision of the user interface - it now has one - and I my friend alien_scum (a BsC Hons in Maths graduate) did the Delphi coding.
As you can see from the picture, CrackMem V2.x is a proper Windows program.
A maximum of 9 installed OSs are supported. I don't know what happens if you install 10.
About the only 'quirk' is that you have to exit the Help text before you can exit the program.
New options are Wipe Phone and Desktop Manager. Both these options require confirmation before the will action.
Please do be careful with Wipe Phone. It really will brick your phone in two clicks.
If you are unfamilliar with upgrading your phone's Operating System then please read this BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com before starting.
UPGRADING YOUR OS USING CRACKMEM
- Download and install the OS that you wish to install on your phone
- Download and install Desktop Manager 4.5 from here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22
- Download CrackMem from the end of this post
- Unzip CrackMem (double click and select 'Extract all files' from the menu on the left. There is only one file.
- Connect your phone and make sure that Desktop Managher can connect to it. Watch for your PIN number to appear at the bottom of the Desktop Manager panel.
- Kill Desktop Manager but leave your phone connected to your PC
- Run CrackMem
- Select the Operating System you wish to install
- Confirm your choice with the 'Confirm Operating System Selection' Button and the selected OS will be displayed in red.
- You can change your choice now if you wish.
- In the MODULE REMOVAL section pick as many modules to remove as you wish. Make sure that you check the box for 'Remove Vendor.xml'
- Once you have finished slelecting, click 'Excecute Slection' and youi will see an 'Action Completed' box appear. CLick to dismiss it.
- Click the 'Desktop Manager' button.
- Instalation of the Operating System should begin automatically.
- Carefully select the modules you wish to install.
The rest of installing an Operating System is covered in detail in the BlackBerry 101 link above.
I welcome your comments.
Last edited by Pete6; 01-27-2009 at 02:34 AM.Thanked by 25:
+ Show/Hide list of the thanked
Brian Gillings (11-27-2013), chongctd (11-17-2011), colly9857 (12-22-2011), deluxe_consumer (09-06-2011), don67 (12-19-2011), Dr.Thrill (06-26-2011), Fantomas2006 (01-27-2011), friedjulie (03-03-2011), funnykindel (08-22-2011), GeorgeEcuador (07-02-2011), gibbymane269 (02-09-2011), Guatiao (08-09-2011), icesoul8tion (06-17-2011), iip_syaif (02-17-2013), johnthehillbilly (07-11-2012), Khubaib84 (04-18-2011), mason1988 (04-07-2011), N3RVE (12-18-2011), nerogatel (11-03-2013), prodigy785 (06-06-2011), ripoll_e (05-22-2011), satishrjy (06-05-2011), staas_ya (12-12-2011), sunnysantosa (05-24-2011), zerocool900 (09-27-2011)
It's the way it should have been.
I wanted to get the logic and the look right before I released it. V1.x got the logic right and I spent a day making it look pretty.
It has been tested but I am sure that bugs will appear.
- 07-15-2008, 06:48 PM #6
Great Work Pete!! The GUI will be a main incentive for a lot of people!!
Functionality is Key, but a GUI is important overall!!
Amazing! Are you still planning on expansion... to remove further .cod files down the road, etc?No longer a CrackBerry addict. Moved to Android - could not be happier!
I started in DOS because I am not really a programmer and I really do know DOS (see my photo).
Once I had started I was able to get the program logic flow the way I wanted it and to locate all the files to be moved.
I then asked alien_scum who is an old school friend of my son's to help and he installed his copy of Delhpi on one of my PCs and I built the GUI yesterday and today. alien_scum then wrote the code in 2 hours, an amazing feat.
Suncom force the installation of Yahoo. Check the Java folder for 'yahoo'.
It is hard to remove from the phone so CrackMem could stop it ever going in. I did a build of 1.6 just for me and it removed all of those nasty files. I need to see what else people want and I will do my best to help.
Last edited by Pete6; 07-15-2008 at 07:04 PM.
I will only really know when they are released and I have one in my hands. I assume that you are referring to the 9000 Bold. It should work but I need to buy one first. It may be a while before I am prepared to brick my new Bold just for this forum. I am sure you can understand that.
I do not have any 7xxxs left here now. I sold them all
- Retired Mod
07-15-2008, 07:41 PM #13
- 25,825 Posts
- PIN:ky Tuscadero
It is very quick, but if you look in the Research in Motion folder
there will be a subfolder called removed files, in there will
be a folder with your OS number in it's name and the files
that were removed, in case you need to put them back
2.0 works much faster than 1.6 because it uses a Delphi command to move the files instead of copying and then deleting so if you are on the same disk (which you are) the process takes about a second.
You can check the results if you go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RemovedFiles. There you should see Vendor.xml and a folder named like the OS you are working on. In this folder will be all the .cod files that have been removed from the Java folder.
- Retired Moderator
07-16-2008, 12:06 AM #18
- 9,473 Posts
This is interesting. I can run the program as an user or administrator.
The user found a package that was previously un-installed. The directory no longer exists.
The administrator found the correct directory structure.... wierd.
Last edited by Stoner; 07-16-2008 at 12:14 AM.
My choice was to release it 'as it is' quickly or to release two seperate programs (one XP & Vista 32 and another for Vista 64). These would have to have been released as a single installable Windows program using Instalshield and the release would have been delayed by about 2 weeks. I shall now start work on this option and in abiut 2 -6 weeks (Summer holidays) I shall release a new version that installs properly and has all the right permissions. I have to learn how to do this so if anybody out there already knows, I would love to hear from them.
Under Vista, if you do not run the program as an Administrator it will be unable to move files around as it does not have the neccessary permissions.
CrackMem will still display 'something' (as shown by your pictures) but no or wrong actions will result.
It is therefore neccessary when running under Microsoft Vista to always right-mouse-click and then select Run as administrator to insure good results from CrackMem.
Last edited by Pete6; 07-16-2008 at 07:11 AM.
- CrackBerry Abuser
07-16-2008, 11:46 AM #21
- 142 Posts
This looks outstanding, Pete! I was hesitant to try the other version, so this will be much better for most people I'd think. Though I used DOS a lot, it was years ago so I was afraid of screwing it up.
1. What is vendor.xml and what does removing it do?
2. What are the vendor themes? Are there themes hidden there for companies other than my provider (Alltel) I don't know about or are you referring to the default themes that come preinstalled (zen, L, icon, today)? I don't use my Alltel wallpaper, but don't want to remove all themes either. I use the default L theme right now, but at times I switch to icon so I want to have the installed themes there since other themes build on them.Can you select which ones to remove or does this remove all of them?
3. I don't have an OS installed (yet) in DM, but I have an 8330 Curve, OS 126.96.36.199. Your menu shows 8310 -- I assume it will work with other 83xx models?
Last edited by wbailey; 07-16-2008 at 11:49 AM.