Hey all,

I just finished implementing a Jabber based IM solution in our office LAN for roughly 50 PC's and another dozen or so off our local network.

I'm using an open source server called OpenFire with the Spark IM client installed on each workstation to communicate with the OpenFire server across a statically set WAN IP address.

My main question is does a Jabber IM client exist for Blackberry that allows you to configure where the IM client is being pointed (i.e the IP address of the Jabber server)?

All of the Blackberry devices that will be connected are Bolds, Storm, and Curve 8900 so anything compatible with OS 4.6 and 4.7 would be great.

Thanks!!
    06-04-09 11:06 AM
    I too have been looking for a client with this functionality as my office also uses Spark for interoffice communication. I have tried many clients but have come up empty handed. ICQ has multi-im client utilization, and one of the clients supported is Jabber, which can be used with our chat server so I thought it would work with ICQ, but it wouldn't connect up. If you figure out a solution that works for you let me know.
    06-04-09 11:53 AM
    Hey all,

I just finished implementing a Jabber based IM solution in our office LAN for roughly 50 PC's and another dozen or so off our local network.

I'm using an open source server called OpenFire with the Spark IM client installed on each workstation to communicate with the OpenFire server across a statically set WAN IP address.

My main question is does a Jabber IM client exist for Blackberry that allows you to configure where the IM client is being pointed (i.e the IP address of the Jabber server)?

All of the Blackberry devices that will be connected are Bolds, Storm, and Curve 8900 so anything compatible with OS 4.6 and 4.7 would be great.

Thanks!!
    We are also running OpenFire+Spark and have been looking for a decent client for mobile devices. I have not found any free clients that seem to work, but have run the trial of Beejive which allows you to point to your own IM server. It also support TLS encryption. It is about $20, but I haven't found anything else that works the way I want.

There is another client called IM+ (also not free) that does it, but I haven't tried recent versions of that one. It is even more expensive (about $40). The cool thing that one did is push IM. So you could go offline and get your IM's delivered via SMS.
    Last edited by linuxdaemon; 06-04-09 at 12:15 PM.
    06-04-09 12:10 PM
    We are also running OpenFire+Spark and have been looking for a decent client for mobile devices. I have not found any free clients that seem to work, but have run the trial of Beejive which allows you to point to your own IM server. It also support TLS encryption. It is about $20, but I haven't found anything else that works the way I want.

There is another client called IM+ (also not free) that does it, but I haven't tried recent versions of that one. It is even more expensive (about $40). The cool thing that one did is push IM. So you could go offline and get your IM's delivered via SMS.
    I'll have to try out the Beejive on one of the extra Bold's we having laying around, but I don't think I'll be able to convince TPTB to pay $20 per license across the dozen Blackberry's that would be using the software...

The IM push through SMS is a pretty neat feature for IM+ though, too bad its even more expensive then Beejive. uhhh.

Guess I'll keep on searching, hopefully someone at some point will come out with a free client with the same functionality. I've noticed that OpenFire does have an API for a mobile client...too bad I don;t know that kind of programming to put something together.
    06-04-09 02:14 PM
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I did find an IM client that does Jabber/XMPP, AIM, Yahoo, Google Talk, MSN, Facebook Chat, etc that is free to use.

The program is call "Just wanted to let everyone know that I did find an IM client that does Jabber/XMPP, AIM, Yahoo, Google Talk, MSN, Facebook Chat, etc that is free to use.

The program is called "Palringo"...

The interface is a little funky for the storm since its designed to have a full keyboard without a rotating screen...but its bearable since its free.
    06-26-09 11:27 AM
    I know this is an old thread, however, I thought it might still help someone like me who just started with Openfire.

IM+ FREE edition will work with Openfire. I have installed it and am now using it to connect with my company's employees. All you have to do is choose "Jabber" as the account and enter your server address as host. You can then choose to use encryption or not, I suggest you do. Enter your username and password, and off you go. I left the port the same, as my router at the server location will move everything around to the correct location.

Good luck and happy IMing!!
    10-15-11 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD