Is there a good working compass program for the Storm? Would anyone else have use for an app like this?
    06-15-09 12:57 PM
    I did see a compass app on an iPhone commercial not too long ago. I thought it would be very useful. The whole screen was a big compass, not some dinky thing that is in the corner of a gps app. It was pretty too. Kind of looked like a decorative maritime compass. I want one!!!

Grey
    06-15-09 01:46 PM
    GPSLogger is a free app that has a large compass

However, keep in mind that the hardware of a Storm does not include anything that will really work as a compass. It shows you which way you are heading, in the form of a compass, but on the storm, the only way to get a direction is via GPS, and GPS can only tell you where you are, and where you've been, and combining those, which way you are heading.
    06-15-09 01:51 PM
    +1 on the answer above.

The GPS on the Storm also differs from the fuller-featured (sorry can't describe it better) aGPS on other devices (i.e. iPhone). So my Storm doesn't show the "arrow" of where your headed (like on the Bold and iPhone).

This could be due to Verizon's dictatorship-like control over the device.

But at the end of the day it doesn't have a true compass like the iPhone 3G[s].
    06-15-09 01:55 PM
    GPSLogger is a free app that has a large compass

However, keep in mind that the hardware of a Storm does not include anything that will really work as a compass. It shows you which way you are heading, in the form of a compass, but on the storm, the only way to get a direction is via GPS, and GPS can only tell you where you are, and where you've been, and combining those, which way you are heading.
    That GPSLogger is awesome. Many uses from hiking to finding your way back to car in a parking lot. Thanks. On the downside, the compass is not nearly as cool looking as the one on iPhone, but a phone's got to know it's limitations.

Grey
    06-15-09 04:00 PM
    Where can I download GPSLogger can't find it in App World.
    GPSLogger Homepage - 100% free Software for BlackBerry� Devices with OS 4.2.1 or higher
    06-15-09 04:11 PM
    I use GPSlogger. In all honesty its more then I need. But its a great app!
    06-16-09 06:15 AM
    We decided to do 2 versions of our new Compass for the Storm: a �Lite� version with basic functionality for a low, low price and, in a couple of months, an �Enhanced� version with many more features.
    We released the Compass Lite last week. Here�s the blurb:

This wonderful 'Ancient Mariner' compass uses the built-in GPS in the device to show your line of travel, speed, latitude and longitude and where North is in relation to your heading. To establish a line of travel, you must be moving.

You can see it here.

Available now on our website, through MobiHand.com and Available at the CB Store!

Enjoy!

B
    08-05-09 03:22 PM
    I have this free gpslogger compass. It's ugly! I like the looks of the new one from blueinc and at .99, it's priced right.

That gpslogger is a great app.
    08-05-09 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD