"You guys do realize everything that works on OS6, works on OS7 right? It might not be in the app manager, but you can still install it by downloading it manually. I did that for some of my apps.

thewird"

I tried that with a few apps and none of them worked, they either wouldn�t load or because the screen res is so much higher the app only occupied a tiny portion of the screen.

on a broader note and slightly off topic:

in some cases i would expect a delay, i mean the BB device fragmentation is worse than Android so it must be a real pain to develop for, i admit I talk a lot about leaving for Android but i never do, however as good as the 9900 is its really soured the experience for me (and i survived the storm and playbook disappointments).
    09-15-11 07:51 AM
    What I want from Chase is a banking app that has all the functions of iOS and Android apps, most notably the deposit feature....
    You know, I forgot about that feature. My daughter (and 2 sons, and husb) has a Droid. She has shown me how she just takes a pic of a check to deposit it. Would be pretty convenient, but then we'd have the camera's missing auto-focus possibly being an issue, since clarity on text close-ups is rather iffy. Doing the whole standing 10 feet away and zooming in trick might not cut it for the detail needed for a check (barcode scanning for me has been hit or miss doing that).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-11 08:53 AM
    Why don't you try writing to the developers and ask about it? Though I agree that RIM dropped the ball on this.. I guess it's also partly because developers don't see the incentive to develop apps for BB. If the adoption rate of BBOS7 devices are as amazing as some people here say.. Why are the total number of apps on App World still not budging much?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Several months before the OS7 phones came out, RIM called me (and I'm a very minor developer, half-a-drop in the bucket, so I'm sure they also called the big dogs) asking if I was going to support BlackBerry 7, and they also made a beta version of the OS7 development kit available way in advance.

It's clear they were trying to get developers to start writing apps for the new '7 devices well in time for their release, they did make that effort.

But -- "no, I'm not going to write for BlackBerry 7, because it will be at least 2 years before most BlackBerry phones are running OS7. You're still shipping phones with 4.6!!! (the 8520, at the time)." In fact, I was just beginning to switch over to building for OS 5 instead of OS 4, because '5 had finally reached 95% market penetration of the customers who are buying apps.

OS 6 was still only about 1/3 to 1/2 at the time, so I've never yet built an app even for OS 6. Why should I lose half the market by adding features only available on '6? Just use OS 5 features, build for OS 5, and it will also run on '6 and, theoretically, '7.
    09-19-11 04:57 PM
    But -- "no, I'm not going to write for BlackBerry 7, because it will be at least 2 years before most BlackBerry phones are running OS7. You're still shipping phones with 4.6!!! (the 8520, at the time)." In fact, I was just beginning to switch over to building for OS 5 instead of OS 4, because '5 had finally reached 95% market penetration of the customers who are buying apps.

OS 6 was still only about 1/3 to 1/2 at the time, so I've never yet built an app even for OS 6. Why should I lose half the market by adding features only available on '6? Just use OS 5 features, build for OS 5, and it will also run on '6 and, theoretically, '7.
    I don't think the issue is specifically building using OS6 or OS7 apis. It's the simple rebuild + file releases that actually supports the device (small chance there could be some minor api issue or bug here or there from new devices).

It's just the fact that appworld filters the releases, so if you don't make a new file releases supporting the new device (even if the code is the same), according to the customers it doesn't exist...
    09-19-11 05:04 PM
    "You guys do realize everything that works on OS6, works on OS7 right? It might not be in the app manager, but you can still install it by downloading it manually. I did that for some of my apps.

thewird"

I tried that with a few apps and none of them worked, they either wouldn�t load or because the screen res is so much higher the app only occupied a tiny portion of the screen.
    That's just the fault of the developer. Only the 1st app I ever wrote would have had that problem, and it was upgraded long ago to auto-scale to whatever display it's on. All well-written apps should adapt automatically to whatever they're being run on.

The only thing that can't be adapted is, it can't run on an earlier OS than it's built for. So I build for the lowest OS that will get the job done.

The main upgrade nightmare was the introduction of touchscreens 2 years ago, that really required a re-write or at least a re-build in most cases. But nothing has been introduced since that requires a re-write if the app was written well in the first place.
    09-19-11 05:05 PM
    I don't think the issue is specifically building using OS6 or OS7 apis. It's the simple rebuild + file releases that actually supports the device (small chance there could be some minor api issue or bug here or there from new devices).

It's just the fact that appworld filters the releases, so if you don't make a new file releases supporting the new device (even if the code is the same), according to the customers it doesn't exist...
    That is true, many devs probably just haven't gotten around to editing their release compatibilities yet. It's a pain -- a great way to get carpal tunnel. I've only taken the time so far to edit my biggest money-making products, the others are still marked incompatible with OS 7 even though they are fully compatible.

From a dev's point of view -- what's the rush, OS 7 is still a negligible part of the market. Editing a heap of slow-selling products makes no difference at this point.
    09-19-11 05:10 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD