Hi everyone! I wanted to create a thread for our best-selling app called Color ID. Here you can read about the features of the application, give feedback, ask questions, make suggestions for new features, give/receive usage tips etc. basically anything you would like to discuss about Color ID.

If you have already downloaded Color ID, thanks for your purchase/download! We appreciate your support! For those of you that are not yet familiar with Color ID, allow me to outline what this application does for you and why it's important.

Color ID is a downloadable 3rd party BlackBerry application which allows you see who is contacting you by customizing the color of the LED light when you receive a new call, SMS or email. By default, the LED flashes red to notify you that a new message has been received. With Color ID installed, you are able to change that red LED to 1 of 10 colors, or a combination of 2 of 10 colors, depending on what email address/domain name or what phone number you received the message or phone call from. Rather than unlocking the phone and checking your new message list to see who is calling or messaging, you can take a quick glance at the LED light, and instantly know who it is without even touching the phone.

This is useful for environments where it would be inappropriate to answer calls or check messages on your phone (like in a business meeting, school, movie theater, restaurant etc.) Since the the application runs silent, it is also useful for situations ambient noise would prevent you from hearing a ringtone (like at the club, a concert, sports event, job site etc.), or if you set your BlackBerry profile to Quiet or Vibrate for times when you don't want your ringtone to sound (meetings, lectures, bedside, theaters etc.). It's also useful when you're driving. Rather than picking up the device to check who is calling or messaging you, just look at the LED and you can decide if the message or call is important enough to pull over and safely answer or reply. Another great feature about Color ID, is the ability to shut off the LED for certain contacts or groups of contacts. This is helpful if there are contacts or groups you would like to ignore (telemarketers, spam, ex-girlfriends/boyfriends, enemies, work… you get the idea). Those are just a few situations where Color ID benefits you, I'm sure you will come across other occasions you will find this application incredibly useful.

You will notice that there are 2 versions of our application. There is the Free version which is free to use, and a paid version as well. The only difference between the two versions is the paid version gives you the ability to have an unlimited number of unique color combinations, whereas the Free version limits the number to 2. Keep in mind, if you can divide your contacts into two groups, you may just want to keep using the Free version. It has no trial period or expiry date, so feel free to use it as long as you like. You can easily upgrade to the paid version by clicking the Upgrade button located at the bottom of the screen showing the summary of your contacts. You could also navigate to the paid version on most of the online storefronts and simply purchase it there. If you upgrade through the app, the paid version overwrites your Free version. If you buy the paid version after the Free version, you should delete the Lite version prior to installing the paid version.

Once you have your desired version downloaded, there are a couple ways to set up Color ID. One is achieved by manually entering email addresses or domain names and phone numbers under a contact heading which is shown below:

To create a new custom contact, begin by entering the name of the contact in the Name field first. We recently added a feature in v1.1.8 that will automatically fill in the contact info with email addresses and phone numbers from your BlackBerry address book. If the contact is not listed in your BlackBerry address book, you will need to then fill in the Email field, enter the email address(es) or domain name(s). You can add multiple email addresses and domain names by clicking the Add button after you have finished entering the first address. You can then add one or multiple phone numbers for the contact by following the same procedure as the Email field. You're also able leave either the Email field or Phone numbers blank if you want to be able to differentiate between a contact's SMS messages and Emails using different LED colors. After you have entered all your contact's information, choose the colors you would like the LED to display when the contact calls, or sends you an email or SMS message. You can preview the LED notification by clicking the Preview button. The LED will then cycle the colors you have chosen for the contact. If you're happy with the chosen colors, click the Save button. When you have saved the contact details, Color ID will load a contact page, where you can view a summary of the contacts you have entered as well as their assigned LED color combinations.:

An alternative method is to use the helpful feature we included in Color ID to make adding new contacts quick and easy. Simply open your BlackBerry's Address Book, highlight the entry you would like to add to Color ID, click the menu button on your BlackBerry, and select "Add to Color ID" from the top of the menu list. Color ID will open, and automatically fill in the Name, Email and Phone numbers fields based on the information you have stored for the contact in your Address Book. You can then proceed to choose your LED colors and save the contact. The BlackBerry will then return you to the Address Book where you can continue adding more contacts.

In addition to human contacts, I also made Color ID work for Facebook's notification emails by adding the notification email address ([email protected]) to a new contact entry on Color ID which i called "Facebook". I have set my Facebook webpage to send my BB notification emails when someone writes on my wall, tags a picture of me, messages me etc. You can do it all on this web page in Facebook: Login | Facebook I prefer to access my Facebook page through the BB browser as opposed to using the app which I found was somewhat stripped of features. You can also do this with pretty much any website that you've set to send out email or SMS notifications to you. Twitter, Youtube, Myspace, forums and message boards, Windows Live Spaces, Hi5, Ebay, Craigslist, Flickr, Orkut, Google Docs, LinkedIn, RSS to Email, Blogs, Kijiji etc. pretty much any site or community you belong to that has email notifications being sent to your BlackBerry. It's quite easy to do once you get the email address (or at least the domain) of the website's notification service, but if you need help, just LMK, and i'll do my best to give you a hand. Please note that Color ID does not integrate with any of the BlackBerry applications for those listed websites. It can only trigger the LED when you get an email from them. You must make sure that the email address you have provided the website is the same email account you have set up on your BlackBerry.

Color ID works on almost all of the newer BlackBerry devices using OS 4.2.1 and up. It does not work properly with the older devices like the 71xx and 87xx series bb's due to the LED they are equipped with (it only has 3 colors -red, green and yellow/orange).

We are constantly trying to make Color ID better, so you may notice there are a few different versions out there. I try to update all the stores like CrackBerry, BlackBerry App World, GetJar, Mobango, Handmark, Handago with the latest version of Color ID (1.1.7 @ the time of writing) asap. If you have purchased or downloaded Color ID prior to the release of 1.1.7, I highly recommend you return to your point of purchase and download the updated version 1.1.7 for free. There are a few really cool features we included in the newer version, and it runs very smoothly. If you need help updating your software, don't hesitate to contact our support line [email protected]. We'll do our best to make sure you're satisfied with your purchase or download. Below you can find a version history with release notes for each one:

Version 2.5.2 (BlackBerry 10 only)

Version 2.4.2 (BlackBerry OS 5+)
    ADDED support for general Twitter notifications
    ADDED support for general WhatsApp notifications

Version 2.3.1
    ADDED an automatic settings backup feature

Version 2.2.2
    ADDED support for individual BBM messages (OS 5+ only)
    ADDED share via BBM feature

Version 2.1.2 (OS 5+ only)
    ADDED support for all incoming BBM messages.

Version 2.0.3
    ADDED 7 new color combinations so that it is easier to know who is contacting you! Five-O, Emergency Response, Girlfriend, Boyfriend, Jersey Shore, Double Rainbow and Ignore (no LED)

Version 2.0
    NEW application design makes Color ID even easier to use
    ENHANCED LED colors, particularly for never BB's like Torch, Bold, Tour, Curve and Pearl 3G
    OPTIMIZED to preserve the BlackBerry memory and battery life
    DEDICATED email address for priority product support
    ADDED support for Torch 9800 and OS 6

Version 1.2
    NEW Adding Contacts from BlackBerry Contacts is now easier with “Add Contacts” on the main screen
    NEW Contacts added to Color ID are easier to find listed in alphabetic order
    FIXED an input problem for Storm 2 resulting from a recent OS update
    NEW Know when you miss a call from a contact – the LED now remains flashing for missed phone calls
    NEW Improved images and contrast in the app
    NEW Automatic notification of newer versions of Color ID
    ADDED support for Portuguese

Version 1.1.8
    NEW auto complete feature from address book when adding contacts
    NEW Color ID is more efficient and uses even less memory (app size reduced to 250KB)

Version 1.1.7
    ADDED Disco light as a color selection - Color ID now has 10 different LED colors!
    FIXED SMS LED notification. Now turns off automatically when SMS messages are viewed
    ADDED Dutch Language support

Version 1.1.5
    ADDED changes for optimization
    FIXED ringtone interference problems on older devices with long ringtones

Version 1.1.3
    FIXED the interruption of voice calls by disabling Color ID during a call.

Updates from previous versions are free and encouraged.

I'd like to add that we do have an online support wiki for Color ID, which may answer some questions you may have. If you can't find an answer on there, just contact support, or you can leave help request here. Keep in mind, the support email will get answered much more quickly as the account is constantly being monitored, but keep in mind that we are human and can't work 24hrs/day, 7 days/week. During the week, you should get a reply within 24hrs, but on weekends, the wait may be a bit longer. I will subscribe and setup instant email notification for this thread and try to answer you guys as quickly as possible. I've left some links for Color ID at the end of this post. If you know of some more links, you can reply or PM me if you would like me to add them to this post. Well I hope it wasn't to dry of a read for you, thanks if you made it this far. I hope you have a good understanding on what Color ID is and how it can benefit you. As always, comments, questions, tips, feedback, suggestions and discussion about Color ID is encouraged. All I ask is to keep the discussion on the topic of Color ID.

Color ID Support Wiki
    Download Color ID Free for free at ShopCrackBerry.com
    Buy Color ID at ShopCrackBerry.com
    Download Color ID Lite for free at BlackBerry App World
    Buy Color ID at BlackBerry App World
    Contact Support

If you don't have an account with any of those listed storefronts, PM me and I will email you a copy of Color ID Lite to try!

Nige
    Last edited by motekmobile; 02-19-13 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added v2.5.2 and v2.4.2 info
    11-20-09 04:10 PM
    Hi everyone, we recently released a new version of Color ID to the Crackberry store. It's 1.1.8 and there are a couple of notes about the new version. We've added an auto complete feature to the contact entry page. Now when you begin to type your contact's name, auto complete will quickly scan your address book and present you with possible matches. if you select one of the matches, Color ID will automatically fill in email addresses and phone numbers from the entry in your BlackBerry address book. It's works similar to the "Add to Color ID" menu item feature.

We also reduced the footprint of the application to nearly half the size. Older versions of Color ID were around 450KB, while v1.1.8 is approx 250KB. These changes should make Color ID more efficient and use even less memory than before.

The updated version should appear on BlackBerry App world within a week or so, but it is already available for download from the Crackberry store. It's best to update your version of Color ID at the original point of purchase.

Let me know if there is anything you guys need me to describe in greater detail. Enjoy the update!

Nige
    12-08-09 11:58 AM
    We're having a sale on Color ID. From now until Jan 1st. we are offering Color ID for half price! This is effective for the CrackBerry Store and BlackBerry App world.

Color ID - LED Status Light Customizer for Email, Incoming Calls and SMS - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

Nige
    12-23-09 09:52 AM
    I have ColorID 1.1.7 how do I get the updated version?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-10 02:46 PM
    Hi cherryjuice, where did you download your copy of Color ID from?
    02-22-10 03:02 PM
    I've been using Color ID for quite a while now and I was wondering whether or not there would be an update to include BBM & I'm notifications? If so, any idea as to release date? Thanks in advance.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-22-10 03:38 PM
    Does this app include notifications for twitter?
    02-22-10 03:54 PM
    Hi nfldberryuser, we also really want to include that feature with Color ID (it is our #1 requested change), but I am pretty sure there is something that RIM needs to do on their end before this is possible. I'm sorry but I'm not as technologically knowledgeable as some of my other colleagues, but that is the answer I've been given when I ask them about it. If/when RIM does allow this functionality, you will definitely hear about it in this thread, and we will give a free update to all users running an older version of CID.

shaydlife, Color ID cannot integrate itself with any application like twitter or facebook. If you get twitter email notifications, you can certainly add the notifier address to your Color ID contacts and assign it a color combination. If you have your twitter account set to notify you via email if someone tweets you etc., Color ID will recognize the address and display the appropriate LED colors. You have to have the receiving email address setup on your BB in order for this to work. If you need help with it, pm me and i can walk u thru.

Hope this helps!

Nige
    02-22-10 04:37 PM
    Hi cherryjuice, where did you download your copy of Color ID from?
    Getjar.com,but its not available for download anymore though

02-22-10 06:11 PM
    Well what do I do about updating since ColorID is no longer available for download where I originally downloaded it from???

02-23-10 02:31 PM
    Give me a moment and I will make sure that everything is functioning properly with the getjar download. Out of curiosity, you are running the lite version, correct? We never offered the paid version on Getjar as every application is free from that site (or so it seems).

Nige
    Last edited by motekmobile; 02-24-10 at 03:18 PM.
    02-24-10 03:15 PM
    I really need to make a decision between Color ID and BerryBuzz. I have a Tour 4.7.161 and really don't want to upgrade OS until one comes from Verizon that is "stable". Having said that, my issues concern BBM's (which still can't be color coded) and profile modifications. I really only need to be aware of a specific number of contacts, maybe 15, and mostly only SMS, Email, BBM, and calls. Would I need to "uninstall" CrunchSMS? Please give me some ideas as to how I would apply your program. I keep my phone very functional, but keep reading about these apps so thought I would ask. Thanks for any insight you can give.
    04-13-10 03:21 PM
    Although Color ID doesn't support these features yet, I think I saw a blog post about a BigTinCan app that does just that - email, calls, SMS, BBM & Twitter. Have a look through the Crackberry store & see.

BTW - for anyone using a different type of customization notification app - do they all have to remain running in the background like Color ID?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-13-10 05:05 PM
    Hi nfldberryuser

As far as I know, no one is selling an application that can change the color of the LED for BBM notifications from specific contacts.

We could add an option to change the LED when you get a new BBM message, but you can't customize the color based on who sent you the message. That's why we decided against implementing that in our LED app. That's great that you know you have a new BBM message, but you still have to pick up the phone and check the screen to see who it is! Our application is supposed to help you screen your messages. When Research in Motion releases their API for BBM, we will definitely develop an update that includes support for instant messages. You guys will be one of the first to know when this happens

Nige
    04-21-10 10:23 AM
    Good morning,

I bought this app last winter and was using it non-stop. Sad to say now tho that I am about to uninstall it and purchase berrybuzz. After trying the demo on Berrybuzz, I was unimpressed with how ColorID renders some of the colors. My GF is a fan of anything pink, so I was wanting to use that color for her, it doesn't even begin to look pink on ColorID, same with purple. Yet, on Berrybuzz, they are very nicely represented. ColorID is a complete waste of the money I spent on it. BTW, using it on an 8530 and tested Berrybuzz on the same phone.
    04-21-10 10:53 AM
    Is anyone running CID on a Nextel 8350i ? I have yet to get it to work at all, after installing the app several times and running it correctly. Numerous hard resets. No luck.
    05-13-10 12:45 PM
    hi map105 please elaborate on what isn't working for you. If you want, you can open a new ticket on our support site here:

Recently active topics in Motek Mobile about Color ID - LED Color Customizer for Contacts
    05-13-10 02:46 PM
    well, to clarify, I'm running OS 4.6 on a Nextel 8350i Curve. I intstalled Color ID lite, to see if I liked the app and then upgrade to the full version. Since my initial install, the app has not worked. Meaning, I can properly set up the 2 free color ID tags for 2 of my contacts. I have them set, picked colors, saved each and enabled each. Per the instructions, I did a hard reset after I installed the app. (I've removed and re-installed the app, then hard reset several times as well). Up to this point, the app as not worked at all, meaning when either of the 2 contacts I have set up, contact me via phone call or text message, the LED simply lights red, as it always did in the past.
    05-13-10 03:11 PM
    So you downloaded the Lite version, it worked, then you upgraded to the full version and now it's not working?

Have you deleted the lite version? You must do this before you download the upgrade. If you have already downloaded the upgrade, try deleting the Lite version and then reboot the device. lmk if that's the case and it works for you.

We've had customers using Color ID on the iden 8350i BlackBerries in the past without issue. Hopefully it is just the Lite version conflicting with the Full version.

Nige
    05-17-10 10:50 AM
    Hey Motek, I'm running CID Full Version and just upgraded to OS 5.0.0.593 on my 9700. All of a sudden CID doesn't work during calls. It works fine when I receive SMS messages, however it doesn't work when I receive calls from the same phone numbers. First time I've had this issue during an OS upgrade. Please check it out! Thanks
    06-21-10 02:59 AM
    hey couchomatic! i asked the support guy and he recommends reinstalling the app after you do an OS upgrade. If that doesn't work, let me know, but it should work fine on a 9700. We have a new version of Color ID on the crackberry store (1.2)

nige
    06-22-10 04:08 PM
    Hey, I just downloaded the coloid lite for my blackberry storm 2 and when i open it my keyboard pops up and im unable to type anything. i cant select anything and there is no option to hide my keyboard. Can you help with this problem?
    07-11-10 11:46 PM
    Hi Swinneys, can you tell me what OS you are using and what carrier you are with?

Nige
    07-15-10 03:57 PM
    Hey, I just downloaded the coloid lite for my blackberry storm 2 and when i open it my keyboard pops up and im unable to type anything. i cant select anything and there is no option to hide my keyboard. Can you help with this problem?
    Sounds like a Storm. This sort of problem with apps is common on touchscreen BlackBerries, and is almost always solved by disabling compatability mode.

Go to Options --> Applications --> select (but don't click) ColorID.

Click the BB key for the popup menu. Click on Disable Compatability Mode.

You may have to close & restart the app, or even do a battery pull, but it should work fine after that.
    07-15-10 04:58 PM
    BTW, I love ColorID lite and would buy the full version if I really cared about setting up different notifications for a bunch of contacts.

I use double disco LEDs for calls and email from my office and answering service. If you only want one or two special notifications, you can add as many email addresses and phone numbers under each one as you like.

I didn't like BerryBuzz because I couldn't shut off notifications for SmrtGuard messages, which are automatically deleted when they execute a command. With ColorID, I can set a contact alert for SmrtGuard with no tone or LED and they pass silently (although they still cause a Blurts popup).
    07-15-10 05:04 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD