I have an app that's stuck in "starting download". Doing some searching I found the solution for this is to clear the cache.
    This is accomplished by pressing ALT + R S T. Problem is you can't do this on the storm obviously. Anyone know of another way to clear the cache?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-09 09:06 AM
    It works for me in my storm. Just pull up the keyboard, hold the alt button so it locks and then hit 34(

Those are the keys that type reset. Also I didn't know about this to reset the list, thanks!

09-14-09 09:56 AM
    Damn, for some reason it didn't register that the keys should still be the same. Thanks man, that worked great.
    09-14-09 05:44 PM
    FINALLY!!!!! Ive been wanting to know how to do this for the longest time.
    Thank-You so much.
    09-14-09 06:18 PM
    Thanks for the information.
    09-14-09 08:40 PM
    Not to sound like a noob....I cant get the keyboard to come up in app world...HELP
    09-14-09 08:42 PM
    THIS NEEDS TO BE A STICKY.

This just clearned 14 MB of memory on my storm by clearing the damn cache!!!!!!!!!

This got rid of all the setup crap for all my programs from App World. Also all the archived crap that actually gets stuck in your flash memory half the time. Also when you uninstall a program I noticed you wouldn't gain much of anything back. Well after reading around it seems App World is VERY bad about deleting temporary data that it hordes from downloads, uninstalls, archiving, etc. This also works great when you have "installing" or "downloading" where it's stuck mid way through then freezes. Also gets rid of all that "archived (appname)" crap in your downloads folder.

This is something all should do when clearing out your other caches.
    Last edited by mrspock2002; 10-26-09 at 11:47 PM.
    10-26-09 11:36 PM
    THIS NEEDS TO BE A STICKY.

This just clearned 14 MB of memory on my storm by clearing the damn cache!!!!!!!!!

This got rid of all the setup crap for all my programs from App World. Also all the archived crap that actually gets stuck in your flash memory half the time. Also when you uninstall a program I noticed you wouldn't gain much of anything back. Well after reading around it seems App World is VERY bad about deleting temporary data that it hordes from downloads, uninstalls, archiving, etc. This also works great when you have "installing" or "downloading" where it's stuck mid way through then freezes. Also gets rid of all that "archived (appname)" crap in your downloads folder.

This is something all should do when clearing out your other caches.

WOA this sounds like big news!!!
    Too bad my App World disappeared completely (without freeing any memory). I'll try to re-install it, then clear the cache.
    10-27-09 02:35 PM
    Not to sound like a noob....I cant get the keyboard to come up in app world...HELP
    From the main "App World" screen go to the "My World" screen (the rightmost button at the bottom). Then BB Button/Show Keyboard. Then press and hold the "!?123" button until it locks. Then hit 34(
    Last edited by CharlesH; 10-27-09 at 03:06 PM.
    10-27-09 03:03 PM
    Ok so, I've done this 3 times already.
    App world shuts down, but my app mem doesn't change, and my archived apps in my Downloads folder are still there.
    Doesn't really make any difference after a battery pull.

I guess AppWorld isn't my main problem with app memory.
    10-27-09 03:52 PM
    BUT, after a battery pull, I ran Memory Booster and it said it freed 26MB of memory, and I've never seen that number above 5.
    Made no impact on App Memory, but who knows.
    10-27-09 03:55 PM
    Ok I understand the instructions except for the 34( thing. If I read this right, open App World, navigate to My World, open the keyboard, hold the number key down until it locks and type 34 but where is the ( ? I find it under the symbols key which means I leave the number pad and then it seems nothing happens? What am I missing?

I am missing that the phone must be in Landscape. Doh!
    Last edited by Emtronics; 10-27-09 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Update
    10-27-09 04:42 PM
    Ok I understand the instructions except for the 34( thing. If I read this right, open App World, navigate to My World, open the keyboard, hold the number key down until it locks and type 34 but where is the ( ? I find it under the symbols key which means I leave the number pad and then it seems nothing happens? What am I missing?

I am missing that the phone must be in Landscape. Doh!
    I have key labelled "!?123", and when I press and hold it, I get a keyboard that has numbers as well as a bunch of special characters, where "(" is just to the right of "3".

OH... I think I know what is going on. I have it set to present the full QWERTY keyboard in portrait mode as well as landscape.
    10-27-09 05:57 PM
    Yeah, I figured it out. LOL When I did the 34(, App World closed. How does one know that something happened?
    10-27-09 07:14 PM
    OK this 34( thing doesn't improve a thing. I can never get over 24 mem on this phone and on my other phone (also a 9530) it shows the old BBM as archived in the DL Folder with 26 mem I want to know how some here are getting 30, 40, or even 50 mem free?
    10-27-09 07:43 PM
    I've tried to hit 34( about 10 times now and absolutely nothing is happening... I'm in app world, in my world, in landscape... any help is appreciated. My phone froze during an install and I lost an app and rim is being less than helpful.
    11-17-09 04:46 PM
    Hi! I have read the postings, but for me on my Storm 2, nothing happens when I do all this. i am trying to clear the cache, and I press and hold the !?123 alt key in My World, then press 34( in sequence, but nothing happens. Is there something I am missing? Thanks for any help you can give!
    05-05-10 10:50 PM
    I just gave this a try and my app memory went from 8.6 to 25.1. WOW!!!! This should be a part of every cache cleaning exercise/documentation. Thanks for the great info.

Update: Went back about two minutes later. Had not even touched the phone in that time now it shows 13.7 MB. Not sure how I lost 12 MB in two minutes without any changes. Oh well still better then it was.
    Last edited by champr; 05-06-10 at 06:50 AM.
    05-06-10 06:46 AM
    This worked on my 9700, thanks for sharing. I held "ALT" then pressed R, S and then T. It didn't change my memory, but it got rid of the "new verion available" tags that were under a few apps...despite me having the latest version of each.
    05-06-10 06:58 AM
    Champr and Glenn, what did you do on your storm and bold? On my storm 2, I first locked the !?123 key, so that a 123 icon appeared on the upper right. then I pressed, in order, 3, 4, and (. But nothing happened. Am I out of sequence here? Thanks so much for any help you can offer this novice! BobSenk
    05-06-10 12:32 PM
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! i got scared for a sec when my Storm locked up but it cleaned out a bunch of uninstalled apps! i always ignored them, never thought you could clear it. thanks again for the great tip!!
    05-06-10 01:10 PM
    6.2 after a battery pull to 15.5 after 34( i feel like a kid in a candy store.

05-06-10 11:23 PM
    holy crap i just did it and went from 13 to 38
    05-08-10 09:39 PM
    Good stuff!

05-09-10 06:28 AM
    Everyone, if it doesn't work at first be patient. Just let the phone sit and then mine reverted back to the Home Screen and I checked the mempry and it improved.
    05-09-10 07:34 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD