===== QUOTE lak611 ====

Do you have a link?

===== /QUOTE ====
    Free app - SignalLoc OTA
    http://f5bbutils.fairview5.com/signalloc/download/signalloc-1.0.1368/ota/signalloc.jad
    Thanks! . I just downloaded it.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-21-10 07:40 PM

NP
    Here is their site that gives detail how to set up ,support forums etc
    Signal-Location Utilities for BlackBerry
    03-21-10 07:53 PM
    NP
    Signal-Location Utilities for BlackBerry
    From reading the details it doesn't seem it lets you send it to a public for all to see map, more or so saves the information individually for you. Correct me if I'm wrong

You can save and export cell sites to CSV or KML format and you can have SignalLoc automatically save new cell sites as you encounter them.
    Where Cellumap exports it to a public map.
    03-21-10 08:38 PM
    From reading the details it doesn't seem it lets you send it to a public for all to see map, more or so saves the information individually for you. Correct me if I'm wrong

Where Cellumap exports it to a public map.
    Correct It doesn't go public it saves for you
    03-21-10 08:41 PM
    This is why I like Cellumap, the information is more useful when it's public. I could see that once more people submit information Cellumap could provide the collected information to cellular companies. If the cellular companies weren't going to be an ..... about it of course.
    03-21-10 08:43 PM
    ===== QUOTE lak611 ====

===== /QUOTE ====
    NP
    Signal-Location Utilities for BlackBerry (http://f5bbutils.fairview5.com/signalloc/)
    Thanks! I'll check it out when I have time. .

03-21-10 08:57 PM
    This is why I like Cellumap, the information is more useful when it's public. I could see that once more people submit information Cellumap could provide the collected information to cellular companies. If the cellular companies weren't going to be an ..... about it of course.
    Yeah I agree that particular feature is nice but
    When I travel up down east coast I don't plot my course with tower location and don't depend on users to keep me informed ,I visit sprint site doing fast look up to be totally informed on what to expect no surprises.
    With Sigloc towers automatically log in for future use im good to go.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 03-21-10 at 09:13 PM.
    03-21-10 09:02 PM
    This looks very similar to what Root Wireless is doing...
    Yea, my Cellumap is kinda similar to what Root is doing, except they are very "Corporate" with a Management Team and Board of Directors as well as over $3 million in funding and backed by CNET. As for Cellumap: I'm one guy doing it on my free time ...but in all seriousness, yea, we are both independant sources that give cellphone users the chance to publicly show their coverage. Cellumap is more "exact" that it shows exactly your signal strength at a certain point and time. Root makes a "grid" and seems to average the measurements inside the grid.

Cellumap is also available for use anywhere in the world (just got some data from Israel and Jordan yesterday!), while Root is for some reason restricted to certain US "markets" (I guess that's part of the "corporate mentality"? )

I use SignalLoc Application.
    It works with BlackBerry maps , google maps ,provides more device ,location & Tower Detail no need for website surf
    Yea, SignalLoc is a nice app too, but works differently, as you noticed. SigLoc runs off-line and saves your data locally, while Cellumap is an on-line and real-time app with the data shared publically. Different apps for different purposes. Why not use both?

Oh, the "tower locations" on SigLoc are blocked by Verizon, and for GSM/UMTS are taken from Google which is rarely correct, so take it with a grain of salt. Sprint (or other CDMA operators who don't block it) will be the only ones to return correct tower locations.

Just downloaded and tried it. Submitted a report for south Calgary. Come on Calgary try it and lets see how well Rogers covers Calgary
    ...Calgary in da house!!!
    Last edited by RadioRaiders; 03-22-10 at 07:02 AM.
    03-22-10 06:48 AM
    Yea, SignalLoc is a nice app too, but works differently, as you noticed. SigLoc runs off-line and saves your data locally, while Cellumap is an on-line and real-time app with the data shared publically. Different apps for different purposes. Why not use both?
    I agree but as Ive found Provider tower information directly from carrier is more dependable.

Oh, the "tower locations" on SigLoc are blocked by Verizon, and for GSM/UMTS are taken from Google which is rarely correct, so take it with a grain of salt. Sprint (or other CDMA operators who don't block it) will be the only ones to return correct tower locations.
    I didn't know about Verizon lock out of app thanks for heads up.
    GSM UMTS does preform pretty much right on using BBMaps and will only get better due to RIMs increasing accuracy.
    I'm involved in their Beta testing VERY good stuff that takes tower location to next level.
    Both apps are great and will even get better due to it but as Ive stated carrier map look up nails every tower perfect with SignelLoc filling in the void providing Tower & device info...temperature etc all kinds of stuff as you know.

...Calgary in da house!!!
    Very Cool

Bottom line,
    Both apps are great!
    Last edited by Slingbox; 03-22-10 at 12:55 PM.
    03-22-10 12:49 PM
    I've got a suggestion. Perhaps have a points system similar to foursquare. It would give us users a bit more incentive to send in our data.

03-22-10 03:59 PM
    I've got a suggestion. Perhaps have a points system similar to foursquare. It would give us users a bit more incentive to send in our data.
    Interesting idea. I'll have to look into that. Thanks
    03-23-10 07:28 AM
    lak611 pointed me to your app, because of a 3G and data issue I'm having I'm my work area. I've plotted some points, and shown that by 3G (as the techs admit is light 3G), really is simply edge. Fortunately they are serious about solving the data issue, and target real 3G by October. I'll be able to shame the heck out of them more, if they don't pull through on their target date, thanks to you RR. I love that an engineer cared enough to develope an app like this. If enough people become familiar with it, just maybe the coverage maps would become honest. That could only help to strengthen the consumers product in the end.
    06-18-10 09:31 PM
    I would really like to see this application expand as well. Everyone needs to download it and plot a few places AT LEAST. It would make this project some much more stronger and a great resource to go to to finding the best coverage areas and if you are in an area with poor/good coverage.
    06-19-10 01:48 PM
    I'll try to post more locations this summer. I really don't travel much.

06-19-10 01:53 PM
    Hey, glad you guys are liking the app Please use it anywhere/anytime. You don't have to travel to use it. Use it around town doing your daily routines. The more points the better. To send each point uses roughly 5kb data, so it's not much (and you should all have unlimited data anyway, right? )

...oh, one thing I need to mention: for GSM/UMTS users, you need to have your APN set correctly! Cellumap uses a direct TCP/IP data connection and won't work via BIS/BES connections.

In a GSM/UMTS BlackBerry go to Optopns-> Advanced Options->TCP/IP and enter <your providers APN name>

That is all. Carry on
    06-23-10 03:56 PM
    lak and I had a thought. Add the ability to capture the info provided on the app, and send it later. For times when the data service makes sending impossible.
    07-02-10 06:26 PM
    41.254997, -81.841104 are the coordinates (latitude and longitude) of a location I was at earlier. AT&T BlackBerry 9000, 5.0.0.681 OS. SOS no signal at all.

07-02-10 07:12 PM
    lak and I had a thought. Add the ability to capture the info provided on the app, and send it later. For times when the data service makes sending impossible.
    I posted the results I had yesterday when I had no signal in this thread, but it would be nice if there was a way that I could add the information to the location map to show where I was, my carrier, and my device in order to report the dead zone on the actual map at the cellumap website.
    07-03-10 01:02 PM
    Uh, hello there RadioRaiders.

I was wondering if you er, kinda might have a version of your program that runs on an, um, iPhone 4, cuz I need it like, right now baby.

Thanks

Steve over at er, Apple.

P.S. I would have called but could not get a signal.
    07-03-10 01:07 PM

I was wondering if you er, kinda might have a version of your program that runs on an, um, iPhone 4, cuz I need it like, right now baby.

Thanks

Steve over at er, Apple.

! Love ya Pete :::: hands Pete 2 pints of TBL's own beer ::::

I spoke to at&t yesterday, and they are after our converation now aware of CellUMap. They're alao aware of how ticked off I'm getting. Went in to pay my bill that afternoon, and the total came to $1.18.
    07-03-10 03:12 PM
    I am now wondering if the iPad does not suffer from the same problem as the iPhone 4.

It has the same metal case and a touch screen. The only real difference is the most people do not use it for making phone calls so data signal dipping out would not be so noticable.
    07-04-10 02:22 AM
    Yea, I know what you're saying, and I thought of that too. But the internal workings of how I built it is made to be a "live" app. To make "off-line" processing would mean a big re-design. If I had more time and resources I could maybe do something like that. But I'm just one guy doing it in my free time ...but thanks for the feedback, it is a good idea, maybe eventually

Thanks

Steve over at er, Apple.

Sorry Steevie baby, no software I can make is gonna save your sorry a$$ iCrap4

I spoke to at&t yesterday, and they are after our converation now aware of CellUMap. They're alao aware of how ticked off I'm getting. Went in to pay my bill that afternoon, and the total came to $1.18. [/font][/color][/size][/b]
    Some people working in the cellular biz use my app for troubleshooting or mapping coverage. That's good, and I hope it's useful. But it's not meant to replace professional grade equipment like TEMS, Cellumap is more for "fun". But if AT&T wants to have fun with it too, then by all means, go for it
    07-05-10 03:04 PM
    07-26-10 07:02 PM
    Great app was making some good use of it the past few days.
    09-06-10 04:55 PM
    Awesome mine just posted!
    09-07-10 01:52 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD