I just purchased a new blackberry pearl 8130 and have found the instructions on how to use it as a modem. The problem is I do not have cellular south's user ID and Password and they will not give it to me. I am paying 100 bucks a month for data and internet and would like to know if any one else had this problem and if there is a solution that works as I have been trying for 2 days now to find a way.If any one can help out I would appreciate it as I don't want to have to buy a wireless card too!! Which by the way they don't offer.
    07-10-08 04:16 PM
    Not sure, but for Verizon u have to pay so you can tether the phone, even if you have the unlimited data plan. You might have to do the something for your service provider.
    07-10-08 04:32 PM
    Yea good luck with that. I like the package deal I have with Cellular South too but I got the same run around that your getting from them about the user name and password about tethering.
    07-11-08 01:11 AM
    I contacted them about this when I first got my pearl. They told me flat out they don't support it and didn't know if or when they would.

So far modem tethering and MMS (unless you pay a extra $10/mth) are the two things I have found they take away from the BB experience.

On a small side note about the MMS. I called CS and asked about MMS being blocked. Because I could have sworn it was part of the package when I signed up. The CSR told me they also thought it was part of the package. But because it wasn't on the list of included items they were able to start charging for it. By that definition we could have GPS blocked someday as it's not on the list.
    07-11-08 08:47 AM
    I contacted them about this when I first got my pearl. They told me flat out they don't support it and didn't know if or when they would.

So far modem tethering and MMS (unless you pay a extra $10/mth) are the two things I have found they take away from the BB experience.

On a small side note about the MMS. I called CS and asked about MMS being blocked. Because I could have sworn it was part of the package when I signed up. The CSR told me they also thought it was part of the package. But because it wasn't on the list of included items they were able to start charging for it. By that definition we could have GPS blocked someday as it's not on the list.
    Is a username and password required to tether. I'm thinking if I connect my BB and use my BellSouth backup internet login...that just may work. I will try it and be right back.
    07-11-08 02:09 PM
    Okay no luck yet...I'll be back in a few hours to go at it again.
    07-11-08 02:27 PM
    Tried and tried, but to no avail.
    07-11-08 05:29 PM
    Try this:
    Username: [Your MIN number] @cs3g.com
    for example mine is [email protected] but its not ur actual number
    Password: cs3g
    Number: #777
    07-19-08 01:29 PM
    I too am looking to do this. I had a PPC6700 (still have it just not used) that I had to have a login for. I could try that as IIRC it had the @cs3g.com part in the username. I will dig up that user/pass and try it.
    09-10-08 01:16 PM
    your best option is to let them know they are behind the times compared to their competitors and take your money to another network. If you have t-mobile in your area, they at least include unlimited tethering with the BB data plan and will even help you set it up.
    09-10-08 04:30 PM
    Yeah I am already on the "OMG it's HIM again" list. I have been bugging them for any updates to the 4.2 OS that came on the phone. Also when I had my PPC6700 I had to go to the top to get an issue resolved that pertained to false advertisement on that particular phone. I can try though. lol
    09-10-08 04:49 PM
    I still have not found a way to tether my 8130. That is the only thing I miss from my Razr.
    09-24-08 08:42 AM
    Try your ESN (HEX) Number in all caps as the password

#777 as number
    MIN#@csg3.com as username
    ESN (HEX) Number in all Caps

Works for me

I still have not found a way to tether my 8130. That is the only thing I miss from my Razr.
    09-25-08 01:40 PM

#777 as number

Works for me
    got as far as verifying username and password, but the errored out with 691. can you help?
    09-25-08 07:40 PM

#777 as number

Works for me
    got as far as verifying username and password, but the errored out with 691
    09-25-08 07:48 PM
    Hi guys. I recently purchased a new bb8330 curve from cellular south. where i live they have the best service. I was under the impression that it would work with the tethering. well im kinda computer illiterate but just have to have it for work. I have read of the troubles everyone has had and am desperate for some good news. If this doesnt work im going to have to change service on 5 lines. Did you guys every decide what the fix was for it?

[email protected]
    10-12-08 05:03 PM
    Hey guys I just bought a great cradlepoint hotspot router that is GREAT for tethering. You guys should check it out i really love the product and i also got a coupon code. I got it from quantum-wireless.com .... They ship for free and they give a free 1GB flash drive and they give 10 off with the coupon code: Drieaz
    10-13-08 01:25 PM
    Is this working for anyone else? I have MIN#@csg3.com as my username and my ESN hex, in all caps, as my password and it dials out with #777 fine. It just gives me a wrong name and password error.

I followed all the instructions on RIMs site for setting up the CDMA phone rather than a GSM one since it's Cellular South.

I don't know if MIN# is supposed to stand for a number, but I've tried my phone number and that didn't work, I also tried csg3 as the password as someone suggested but no luck.
    10-15-08 11:54 AM
    Cellular South Hattiesburg, MS
    I just got mine working i used
    phone number to dial:#777
    Login:my phone [email protected]
    Password:my ESN number in all caps

hardwire teather to my desktop and
    bluetooth teather to my nokia N810 internet tablet
    kinda slow but SWEET.....8^P
    10-15-08 02:33 PM
    I had it as csg3.com instead of cs3g.com, but that still didnt fix the problem. I still get an incorrect name/password error.
    10-15-08 02:42 PM
    do a ##000000 talk on your phone and scrool down to where it says sip user id and mip user id mine has my phone number @cs3g.com see what your says
    thats what i used for my login and the cs3g for password has to be all lower case
    10-15-08 02:50 PM
    That's strange.. the SIP phone number is different from my actual number. I ported from AT&T and the number it has there has a CSouth prefix. Maybe I'll try that and see if it works. Thanks for that tip. I'll let you know how it goes
    10-15-08 03:00 PM
    That did it. I guess since I ported my number from ATT it wouldnt let me use it and gave me a different number than my actual phone number. Thanks for the ##000000 tip. I did have to use my hex ESN with all caps for my password but it works great. I unplugged my ethernet cable just to test it out and I'm usin the phone to type this message lol. I'm pretty happy :P

Thanks for the help
    10-15-08 03:54 PM
    Does anyone know if they can track your usage? I'm sure they can lol, i just mean they say they don't support this so if they figured out we were doing it anyway, you know, I just don't want to be surprised with extra data charges (even tho i have the unlimited plan).

I mean its not going to be my primary internet access, but has anyone else had any surprise charges or anything from tethering?
    10-15-08 03:59 PM
    what kind of speed r u getting????????
    10-15-08 04:29 PM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD