I downloaded the Mediafly beta and listened to about 30 min of a 1 hr 30 min podcast yesterday. I had paused the show, but when I went to pick up where I had left off yesterday I found that the show was restarting from the beginning which wouldn't have been a huge deal except that I could find no way to fast forward ahead 30 minutes in the show.

Anyone else out there know a way to skip forwards and backwards in the shows? If they can only start from beginning to end then that is not good.
    06-23-09 09:05 AM
    The ability to skip forward and back will be coming soon. As will the ability to pick up where you left off.

There is a little automagic that needs to be done to pull this off for a file which is in the cloud and not on the local file system. But, it should be available soon for review by the Beta users.

Make sure that your app is set to notify you of alpha and beta versions as they are released.

- Carson
    CEO, Mediafly
    06-23-09 10:31 AM
    Yeah, I tested out the mediafly app on the Bold.
    I searched here to get a place to post my findings.

It's great so far! The only problems I've had in the beta are:

* When you pause, if you leave it paused for too long you can not resume where you left off, as it starts back over.
    * No skipping forward or rewinding yet
    * More importantly - had to delete it off my Bold as it was the only app I have installed recently at all (in the past 2 months) and immediately after installing it and getting to the point where I did a battery pull via QuickPull, when the phone came back on it (the phone that is, not mediafly. didn't open mediafly) worked for about 5-10 minutes until it froze completely and I was forced to physically take out the battery.

Didn't think it was mediafly at first though of course (thought my phone just messed up). Put the battery back in and sure enough, about 5-10 minutes later I looked at my phone and it was frozen again. Did physical battery pull and it happened again. This time started it back up and deleted Mediafly from the phone before it froze within those 5-10 minutes, and it hasn't frozen all day since.

So, am I sure it's Mediafly? No. But I think it was.

Anyway, I am very happy with this app and I can't wait for the next update to it! I hope it stays free.
    06-23-09 10:22 PM
    Thanks! That definitely seems like a pretty qualified test. We'll look into this and see what we can find out.

We did release a new version mid-day today (v0.18). Do you know if this is the one you had or did you have 0.17? Version 0.18 did have some memory fixes which may have corrected your issue.

Thanks,
    Carson
    CEO, Mediafly
    06-23-09 10:34 PM
    Yeah, I tested out the mediafly app on the Bold.
    I searched here to get a place to post my findings.

It's great so far! The only problems I've had in the beta are:

* When you pause, if you leave it paused for too long you can not resume where you left off, as it starts back over.
    * No skipping forward or rewinding yet
    * More importantly - had to delete it off my Bold as it was the only app I have installed recently at all (in the past 2 months) and immediately after installing it and getting to the point where I did a battery pull via QuickPull, when the phone came back on it (the phone that is, not mediafly. didn't open mediafly) worked for about 5-10 minutes until it froze completely and I was forced to physically take out the battery.

Didn't think it was mediafly at first though of course (thought my phone just messed up). Put the battery back in and sure enough, about 5-10 minutes later I looked at my phone and it was frozen again. Did physical battery pull and it happened again. This time started it back up and deleted Mediafly from the phone before it froze within those 5-10 minutes, and it hasn't frozen all day since.

So, am I sure it's Mediafly? No. But I think it was.

Anyway, I am very happy with this app and I can't wait for the next update to it! I hope it stays free.
    Also, resuming and jumping forward/back is in the works and should be released soon to the Alpha and Beta users. Make sure your app is set to notify you of Alpha versions.
    06-23-09 10:36 PM
    Thanks! That definitely seems like a pretty qualified test. We'll look into this and see what we can find out.

We did release a new version mid-day today (v0.18). Do you know if this is the one you had or did you have 0.17? Version 0.18 did have some memory fixes which may have corrected your issue.

Thanks,
    Carson
    CEO, Mediafly
    You're welcome! I'm actually glad to help out because I really enjoyed the app while I had it last night and earlier this morning.

No, I must've only had the earlier version of 0.17 then, because I downloaded it last night and I think I remember seeing the .017 anyway.

I'll download the newer version from this afternoon and let you know if I still experience a strange freezing of my Bold after it restarts Thanks for all of your hard work.
    06-23-09 10:42 PM
    Wow, actually, in my history on my BB Browser, I still had the direct download page listed - I just went to it and it says 0.16! Haha, so I had an even earlier version than we first thought. I'm looking for the .018 right now and will download it and report back tomorrow if not later tonight (it's getting kind of late here - EST).

edit:
    Forgot to add this to the list of bugs/problems from .016 ver (and are still on the .018 ver as I just noticed):
    * When the Bold locks, the podcast stops. When you unlock the phone, Mediafly is closed. And not running in the background either, it's completely closed. I guess it completely exits when the phone locks, which is unfortunate for users like myself who have the phone autolock after a certain amount of seconds idle. I guess I can always try moving the trackball every now and then though. Or just listen to the podcasts while I'm using the phone in some other way such as browsing.

* Also, for .018 ver:
    "uncaught exception:
    Java.lang.NullPointerException" - got this when I tried to load a podcast and it never seemed to load (took longer than on .016 for some reason) and eventually I got tired, hit the menu and hit "Pause", after a second or two I hit the menu and hit "Play" again, and this error popped up. It closed the app.

For some reason I'm noticing it's a lot harder to actually get a podcast to play on this version. I've already been waiting well over 60 seconds for this podcast to begin playing, while on .016 it played very quickly. Could this be due to the added "Skip Forward 15 sec" and "Skip backward 15 sec" features? Not that I have even tried using them yet, just wondering what could be the problem. I'm still using my 3G just like I did on version .016.

I've now been waiting for about three minutes and the podcast isn't playing. I had the same experience on another episode I chose of another show. Maybe some servers are overloaded or something?

Okay, it just began playing. Didn't time it so this was all estimating but it definitely took quite awhile to begin playing when compared to the .016 version I played with last night. Hope some of this information is helping you guys =)
    Last edited by Jonneh; 06-23-09 at 11:14 PM.
    06-23-09 10:51 PM
    Hi all,
    Forward and Rewind 15 seconds have been added to the menus.
    However, due to the limited player included with Blackberry it will not work with all podcasts.
    I'd love to hear your responses to how well it works on your device.

@jonneh 0.18 should improve memory usage. My guess is that you saw the lockup because installing Mediafly put your phone 'over the edge' on memory usage, and another application actually crashed it. There is nothing running in the background on Mediafly (unless you hit End while a podcast is playing).
    Also thanks for reporting the crash. If you experience crashes in the future, can you send us your logs? There should be instructions on the Home screen of the Mediafly application.
    06-24-09 07:18 AM
    * When the Bold locks, the podcast stops. When you unlock the phone, Mediafly is closed. And not running in the background either, it's completely closed. I guess it completely exits when the phone locks, which is unfortunate for users like myself who have the phone autolock after a certain amount of seconds idle. I guess I can always try moving the trackball every now and then though. Or just listen to the podcasts while I'm using the phone in some other way such as browsing.
    Perhaps this might be an application permission problem?
    Would you mind taking a look at your application permissions (via Options > Advanced Options > Applications > mediaflyaudio) and see if there is anything there that may help resolve this? Apologies, but we don't have a Bold to test this on, and we haven't encountered this issue with other BlackBerry models.

For some reason I'm noticing it's a lot harder to actually get a podcast to play on this version. I've already been waiting well over 60 seconds for this podcast to begin playing, while on .016 it played very quickly. Could this be due to the added "Skip Forward 15 sec" and "Skip backward 15 sec" features? Not that I have even tried using them yet, just wondering what could be the problem. I'm still using my 3G just like I did on version .016.

I've now been waiting for about three minutes and the podcast isn't playing. I had the same experience on another episode I chose of another show. Maybe some servers are overloaded or something?
    This sounds like a server issue. Please try again today and see if it has resolved itself.

Hope some of this information is helping you guys =)
    Very, thanks for your help!
    06-24-09 07:28 AM
    Perhaps this might be an application permission problem?
    Would you mind taking a look at your application permissions (via Options > Advanced Options > Applications > mediaflyaudio) and see if there is anything there that may help resolve this? Apologies, but we don't have a Bold to test this on, and we haven't encountered this issue with other BlackBerry models.
    In this screen (I followed your directions to it) it says:

Description: Manage ALL your podcasts
    Version 0.18
    Vendor: jsdf, LLC
    Modules: mediaflyaudio

But that's it.

However, when downloading the app, I made sure to go into "Application Permissions" and made sure all of them were set to "allow". So unless the blackberry actually changed a permission for mediafly by itself for some reason, I don't think it's a permission issue. Hmm..

edit: Ah, I figured out I had to hit the menu button to go to "edit permissions" on that screen. All three categories are, as I thought, still set to "Allow". Connections, Interactions, and User Data.

This sounds like a server issue. Please try again today and see if it has resolved itself.
    Definitely, it loaded much faster now and played the whole way through without me pausing at all. Much better, it must've been overloaded servers, thanks

@jonneh 0.18 should improve memory usage. My guess is that you saw the lockup because installing Mediafly put your phone 'over the edge' on memory usage, and another application actually crashed it. There is nothing running in the background on Mediafly (unless you hit End while a podcast is playing).
    Also thanks for reporting the crash. If you experience crashes in the future, can you send us your logs? There should be instructions on the Home screen of the Mediafly application.
    Haven't experienced any crashes of the Bold with ver 0.18 yet, but if I do, sure thing I'll look for the logs.

Very, thanks for your help!
    No problem!
    Last edited by Jonneh; 06-24-09 at 10:04 AM.
    06-24-09 10:01 AM
    The new 15 sec. fast ff/rewind did not seem to work on my storm. I tried it but I never moved forward or backward. IMO 15 sec. may as well as be 0 sec. anyway.

I don't see the usefulness of 15 sec. If someone needs to move forward 30 or 45 minutes and can only do it in 15 sec increments, who would actually take the time and click 500 times or however many that would take? It would be 8 clicks for every minute you need to move forward. If there cannot be a slider progress bar to choose where to skip to, then you need to at least have a 5 min and 15 min skip option as well.

Other than this aspect of the program not suiting me, I think it is excellent otherwise.
    06-24-09 01:05 PM
    The 15 sec forwarding/rewinding didn't work on my Bold either, though I only tried it on two podcasts.
    Each said at the bottom while playing "This podcast can not do that" (not a direct quote obviously lol)
    06-26-09 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD