I'm hoping someone here can help. I thought I would try Shrink A OS last night sinse I keep reading posts with people saying how great it was. I could not get it to shrink the OS. Here are the steps I followed to the letter.

1. Prior to device OS installation, back up phone data using Desktop Manager or Blackberry Swiss Army Knife

2. On your PC go to Control Panel/Programs and Features and uninstall all old and unwanted versions of “Blackberry Device Software” aka device OS software from your PC

3. On your PC go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files folder and make sure all OS software is deleted (if you do this before installing the new OS software on your PC then the Loader Files folder should be empty)

4. Download and Install new or desired device OS software onto your PC

5. Download latest copy of Shrink-A-OS to your PC and copy the Shrink-A-OS file

6. Paste the Shrink-A-OS file in the OS folder located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\OS Folder (ie 9530AMEA_v5.0.0.328_P4.2.0.128) Do not paste it into the Java or CDMA subfolders.

7. Right Click Shrink-A-OS file in the OS folder and select “Run as Administrator”

8. Check the box that says the “Shrink-A-OS is in my Current OS folder (not in JAVA or CDMS/GPRS/UMTS)”

9. Check the boxes of the items you want removed from your OS

10. Click the “Shrink My OS” button

11. After the Shrink process is completed, connect your device to your PC using the USB cable

12. On your PC go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader Folder

13. In the AppLoader folder, locate and delete the Vendor file (if this file is missing skip this step)

14. In the AppLoader folder, select the Loader.exe file to install your newly “Shrinked” OS to your phone.

Now the problem I had was when using the program, I selected the Apps to remove but it would not remove them. The before and after sizes were the same after clicking Shrink my OS. Then when I started Loader.exe, the apps I told Shrink A OS to remove were still there. I had to un-check them.

One question I have, prier to starting Shrink A OS, step 3 says make sure the OS is deleted. I still had lots of files in the Java and a couple in the CDMA folder. Were these supposed to be empy before I start Shrink A OS?

Thanks,
    Darin
    Last edited by valorian; 10-29-09 at 09:12 AM.
    10-29-09 07:45 AM
    10-29-09 08:16 AM
    If you're running with Vista, right click on the Shrink-A-OS icon and "run as administrator".

I had that problem while using someone else computer that had vista.
    10-29-09 10:23 AM
    If you're running with Vista, right click on the Shrink-A-OS icon and "run as administrator".

I had that problem while using someone else computer that had vista.
    Yep, did that.
    10-29-09 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD