Here's the deal-for a while now, I've had both the NYT (New York Times) and NYT Bits (which is a geek version of the NYT) launchers on my 8830WE. I use the NYT launcher pretty frequently, but am starting to realize that rather than use a launcher for NYT Bits, I could simply save a bookmark for the site, as I already use the side button for the BB Browser...so if I just bookmark the site, I can get there as quickly as I could from using the launcher.

Sounds good in theory, however I can't seem to uninstall the NYT Bits launcher. I WAS able to uninstall the NYT launcher (they are two seperate downloads on the mobile version of nytimes.com) but this didn't take NYT Bits along with it ... I have tried all of the conventional ways, batt pulls, etc etc...to no avail.

Oh, almost forgot to mention...NYT Bits dosent show up in the apps list on my berry, or the device manager...so I'm stuck. I know there is a way to manually force delete pretty much anything on the device, but I'd rather not tinker around blindly, as I'm not very familiar with that side of things. If someone knows of a way, and could provide somewhat detailed (but dosent have to be THAT precise) I would really appreciate it! I am just looking to gain some real estate back on the screen...there must be a way to get this thing off!!

Michael

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 04:57 PM
    well if its installed as a cod.. i may have a fix for you...

check out my post here - How-to: Extract Games/Apps/Themes from your Blackberry - Free RIM Blackberry Forums & Downloads

all u need from that tutorial is the COD loader... and youre gonna read your phone.. see if it lists the app u wanna remove.. check it then hit DELETE on the cod loader. once it deletes.. your phone will reset.

heres the link to COD LOADER. i know the app looks ghetto.. but trust me.. it works.
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

let me know how you make out.
    Last edited by autoprime; 02-26-09 at 08:59 AM.
    02-25-09 06:26 PM
    You could also just hide the icon, and pretend it's not really there. For whatever reason, I was actually able to easily delete this from my 8900, but I had the same problem on my 8320. Either way, I kinda doubt it uses much memory as its just a shortcut.

02-25-09 06:39 PM
    Sorry - I meant to specifically sate that I did NOT want to simply hide the icon...I want to get rid of it completely. But thank you anywhoo...to the above poster - thank you as well, I am def. going to give that a shot tomorrow!

You could also just hide the icon, and pretend it's not really there. For whatever reason, I was actually able to easily delete this from my 8900, but I had the same problem on my 8320. Either way, I kinda doubt it uses much memory as its just a shortcut.

02-25-09 11:16 PM
    NYT Bits is a browser push app or whatever they are called. You should be able to open up the browser and go to Bookmarks and it should be listed under Browser Channels. Highlight it and select the menu and choose Delete Channel and that should make it go away.
    02-26-09 02:59 PM
    Thats right !! I COMPLETELY forgot about that..lol. Thank you - much appreciated. I am surprised more people didnt chime in on that one. Just like Push weather, some of these launchers are stored under Browser Channels. Anyway, thx again.

Michael

NYT Bits is a browser push app or whatever they are called. You should be able to open up the browser and go to Bookmarks and it should be listed under Browser Channels. Highlight it and select the menu and choose Delete Channel and that should make it go away.
    02-26-09 04:26 PM
    glad u got it sorted ouot. now i know how to fix that issue should it ever come up
    02-27-09 12:08 AM
    You just missed one final step. After removing it from Bookmarks/Browser Channels, you have to head to your browser's Options/Cache Operations and clear the pushed content cache!
    05-29-10 08:33 AM
    You just missed one final step. After removing it from Bookmarks/Browser Channels, you have to head to your browser's Options/Cache Operations and clear the pushed content cache!
    Actually, my mistake, doing so made no different for me...these things keep popping back up! I've got NYT Bits and another one that just won't go away, no matter how many times I remove them! I know this is an old thread, but does anyone else have any ideas?
    07-26-10 03:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD