I Googled this question, but it says that you can only archive apps to the MicroSD card, but you can't run them from there. Is that correct? Thanks for the help.
    02-25-11 02:42 AM
    Yes, Device memory (the built in memory on your BB) is used to store the core operating system files, and to store and run apps from it.

The 9780 has plenty of memory (512 MB) that is really really difficult to fill up.

I have over 20 apps installed and I still have 270 MB free, each app takes approximately 300 kb to 1.5 MB on average

And to answer your question, you cannot use your SD card to run apps, they ultimately need to go into your device memory before they are ran.
    02-25-11 03:54 AM
    I Googled this question, but it says that you can only archive apps to the MicroSD card, but you can't run them from there. Is that correct? Thanks for the help.
    At this time, no. Your "Media" card will only hold media and application must installed and run from internal device memory.

It is rumored that this will change with some of the new operating systems in the future.
    02-25-11 05:10 AM
    This is possible using a great piece of software I had been using with my previous Curve 8520.

The software is a paid app and lets you launch and run apps from your (micro) SD cards. It is called Aerize Card Loader and is well worth the $4.99 if you're short on internal memory (Stopped using it once I got the 9780 - with the large internal memory)

Software is available here - https://www.mobihand.com/cart1.asp?p...00&pid=18931&#
    02-25-11 05:12 AM
    This is possible using a great piece of software I had been using with my previous Curve 8520.

The software is a paid app and lets you launch and run apps from your (micro) SD cards. It is called Aerize Card Loader and is well worth the $4.99 if you're short on internal memory (Stopped using it once I got the 9780 - with the large internal memory)

Software is available here - https://www.mobihand.com/cart1.asp?p...00&pid=18931&#

Thanks Patkar! Never knew such an app exists, so it actually worked for you in your old 8520 days? Is it easy to use?

Reviews of users are not very promising....

Bernard947952
    Was good, then they forgot it and now it is garbage. a waste of time.
    review of Aerize Card Loader - SD card install utility on a BlackBerry Torch 9800 - 6 days ago

Harald1902944
    don't Work with 9520
    review of Aerize Card Loader - SD card install utility on a BlackBerry Storm2 9550/9520 - 2 weeks ago
    02-25-11 06:13 AM
    Thanks for all of the responses. I appreciate the help.

I wish there was more internal memory. 512MB isn't bad, but the operating system consumes nearly half of that. If it were 512MB FREE, I might be moved a bit more. But it's still underwhelming compared to other phones.

I have 2 apps and 4 games. Down to 263 MB. And that's with deleting several of the apps that came with the phone.
    02-25-11 09:51 PM
    In all honesty, given the apps are normally less than a mb you are most likely safe for adding another 200 + apps if that is your need.
    02-25-11 09:56 PM
    When I first load a new OS, I have 300 MB free, thanks to BB Boss which shrinks unwanted components from my BlackBerry such as the built in videos, wallpapers, languages that I don't use, the crappy social feeds and podcasts, and the useless AppWorld (to me at least)

After that, after I install around 20 of the best applications such as QuickLaunch, Meter Berry, BerryWeather, TuneIn Radio, QuickFind, Google Maps, Pinball Deluxe, Angry Farm (game), Aces Jewel Hunt, Bubble Breacker, i-Nigma Barcode Reader, Berry Unit Converter, etc....

I still have 270 MB free....

I cannot even imagine how someone can even come close to filling up that memory.
    02-26-11 01:02 AM
    i am sorry did you say you deleted the appworld.................

then how do you download the apps? or is there something i am not getting about bb?
    02-21-13 08:45 AM
    jenniehbarker-> you are replying to a post that is 2-yrs old and my not get an answer as the OP or one of them is a guest. If you delete AppWorld (now Blackberry World) you can't download apps unless you side load them. With the new BBWorld, you will have no choice but to use it as BB is combining everything into one area with your BB ID as your password. If you look at he new BBWorld you will see a tab that says "Applications or App or something like that" and that is where you go to get your new applications. I have it on my PC but have not updated it yet on MyWorld as it sounds like (from the forums) there are still bugs in it like battery drain, at least on the Z10. Don't know about the 7.1 phones yet. Hope this is of some help as I'd be surprised if you hear back from the other since the post is so old (2/25/2011). Welcome to the forums!!
    02-22-13 05:35 PM
    i am sorry did you say you deleted the appworld.................

then how do you download the apps? or is there something i am not getting about bb?
    Welcome to CrackBerry!
    go1ndr is correct when he mentioned that this thread is 2 years old.
    So here is the basic answer to your question...
    Please understand that at that time there was another venue for purchasing applications aside from AppWorld called MobiHand.
    MobiHand is now defunct since last year and is no longer in service currently.

HTH
    02-22-13 05:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD