I've been trying to get some help with this on the Google forums, but to no avail...

Several days ago (about 3 days after I got my BB Pearl 8110) I installed Google Sync on my phone. I have yet to get it to work. When I told it to sync, it would just get stuck and fail. It advised me to sign out, but then it would freeze again trying to delete any synchronized items. I thought perhaps there had been an installation error, so I uninstalled Google Sync, then reinstalled. It would not even let me sign in ("Account Locked" message). I found a link somewhere to some "captcha" thing that unlocked it, and I could sign in again. Then it got stuck again trying to sync, and trying to sign out (same as original problem). I tried a battery pull, was able to sign out, and sign back in... but now it gets stuck on "Starting Sync - Connecting to Google".

In Options, I have unchecked Sync Contacts, as although I do have a Google Account and a Google Calendar, I do not have a Gmail account (and therefore do not have contacts to sync with). I am wondering, is having a Gmail account strictly necessary for Sync to work? (I sign in to Google Calendar as ***** @ aol dot com)

Finally, I have seen some posts with regards to people doing updates with Desktop Manager and it seems to fix some of their problems... since Google Sync is OTA, I don't understand why DM would make any difference?

Sorry this is so long... So many people here rave about their Google Calendar on their BB, and I want to too!

UPDATE: I have now got a Gmail account up & running... and it STILL DOESN'T WORK!!!
    Last edited by scrappyhare; 03-19-09 at 02:40 AM.
    03-19-09 01:19 AM
    Do other third party apps connect to the internet just fine?
    03-19-09 01:26 AM
    Oh yes, I have used got2 Pro, PocketDay Lists, AT&T MEdia Net, and Google Maps to connect to various websites, all without any problems.
    03-19-09 01:32 AM
    That rules out internet connectivity being the issue. So you can sign in just not sync? Have you tried a battery pull?
    03-19-09 01:39 AM
    At the moment I can sign in, yes. In fact, I cannot sign out! And I also cannot sync.
    03-19-09 01:49 AM
    Well I don't know what I did, but today I actually got a "Sync Successful" message today!! However, the Calendar is still not syncing (in either direction). My contacts synced fine though.

At least it's a NEW problem (for me) - that's progress right? LOL
    03-19-09 06:24 PM
    The first time you sync it takes a while cause it's going through so many things, so if the signal gets interrupted it can seem like it's not working. Now after the intial sync, it should only take a few seconds (depending on how often you change things on your calendar) so it should go smoother.
    03-19-09 06:26 PM
    Decided to run Sync again to try & get my calendar updated, and guess what?? Sync failed!!! What am I doing wrong? Seems like I'm the only one who can't sync!

UPDATED: I discovered what the difference is: I can sync my contacts fine, but I cannot sync the calendar at all...
    Last edited by scrappyhare; 03-19-09 at 06:35 PM.
    03-19-09 06:33 PM
    Where are you trying to sync from? Are you using the google sync button on your BB or are you trying to sync from the calendar app? I have to use the button (white button with google g in it), if not I get an error message.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 06:51 PM
    I get error messages from both places.
    03-19-09 07:07 PM
    i went to m.google.com and download the sync app for my google app (domain off it), and had to tick under the global settings to allow mobile not sure about gmail accounts though
    03-19-09 09:28 PM
    Did that. According to Google, everything should work fine.
    03-19-09 09:54 PM
    Have you checked your permissions? You might have to set them to allow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 10:04 AM
    which browser are you using?
    03-20-09 11:13 AM
    All my permissions are set to "Allow". I think that's when the contacts started syncing.

I'm using the BB Browser that was preinstalled on my phone. Not sure how to see the properties for that program, but I'm running OS v4.5 (my phone is only a week old).
    03-20-09 02:04 PM
    Google sync will not sync any previous entries when you perform the first sync. It will only sync entries created after you installed sync. So if you are expecting existing calendar entries to be transferred, it wont happen. Editing them wont help either. You need to recreate them.
    03-20-09 02:35 PM
    Now that's interesting... haven't heard that before. Luckily, as my phone's only a week old, I don't have a whole lot of appointments in my calendar yet! What about the other way - shouldn't Google calendar items be showing up in my BB calendar on the first sync? Or is sync just getting so confused by my existing appts that it just quits before it gets to that step?

I was online this afternoon with AT&T Live Chat, and the best they had to advise was to back my data and wipe my BB completely. Understandably I'm a little reluctant to do that.

I think the thing that frustrates me the most about this is the complete lack of customer support from Google.
    03-20-09 03:32 PM
    So I deleted all my appts in my BB calendar, and told it to sync again. Now it says "Google Sync is unavailable. Please try again in 5 minutes."

I guess this counts as progress! LOL

UPDATED: HA! IT WORKS!!!!!!!! Solution was to empty my BB Calendar. So simple!
    Last edited by scrappyhare; 03-20-09 at 04:52 PM.
    03-20-09 04:41 PM
    If you had to delete your BB calendar to get it to work, my guess would be at least one of your entries was corrupted, thus causing the error. Glad to hear its working now.
    03-21-09 02:38 AM
    Now that you have a Google account...did you "Log In" on Google Sync?

David
    03-21-09 08:14 AM
    Now that you have a Google account...did you "Log In" on Google Sync?

David
    Yes. I figured it would be best to go ahead and use my gmail address to login whenever I do something with Google, just to try & avoid any further problems...

Only issue I'm having now is, when I had to empty out my calendar, it of course deleted all the birthdays/anniversarys that had been imported from the address book; anyone know how to get those back into the calendar?
    03-21-09 11:54 AM
    If you have a backup of the deleted calendar, you can try and import it in Google Calendar, under the Settings option on the web-based calendar.
    03-23-09 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD