CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can I access app store w/o data plan?

I'm getting a Blackberry Curve 8900 but without a data plan. I've been told I cannot access the app. store without getting a data plan. Is this true? How come I cannot simply download an app. over wifi, or onto my computer and put it on an SD card? If this is really the case then having a Blackberry really doesn't seem to have much purpose lol. Would de-branding or unlocking the phone change anything? I'm relatively new to all of this. Thanks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

You can't access BlackBerry App World over wifi. Many apps are downloadable OTA via wifi from other sources though (eg. developer's own website).
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hemi_fan View Post
    I'm getting a Blackberry Curve 8900 but without a data plan. I've been told I cannot access the app. store without getting a data plan. Is this true? How come I cannot simply download an app. over wifi, or onto my computer and put it on an SD card? If this is really the case then having a Blackberry really doesn't seem to have much purpose lol. Would de-branding or unlocking the phone change anything? I'm relatively new to all of this. Thanks.
    Simply put.. no. I've searched high and low for this and there's not even a "hack" to do it. I've heard the reason for this is the providers and Appworld want you to be on a data plan and use up bw, bottom line is, the more data used, the more revenue they make. Kind of a scam really. I try not to give my provider as much as I can
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by visualpurple View Post
    You can't access BlackBerry App World over wifi. Many apps are downloadable OTA via wifi from other sources though (eg. developer's own website).
    Some what true, you can but you need to have a data plan to do so. It's true that most every app available in AppWorld can be downloaded OTA or through Desktop Manager. It's just that many apps require a data plan to work.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

The Bing App works wonderfully over wifi... Leave it to microsoft to be reasonable.

This shouldn't even be an option for app developers, data should go over the network connection, whatever is available with preference to the fastest connection (wifi currently)
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    What's that?

It isn't an option for developers. Some apps (the ones that don't work) need to go through RIM's servers. That requires a Blackberry Data Plan. If you have a Blackberry Data Plan then apps will use the fastest connection (wifi) You just need that connection to RIM's servers.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/bla...se-wifi-29376/
    CrackBerry Abuser

What's the point of getting a Blackberry without a data plan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Thumbs up LOL, no data!!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie100 View Post

Uhhh, no kidd'n!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charlie100 View Post

I don't have a data plan, I survive just fine. With our provider, you have 2 options for Blackberry, one is a data plan and the other is what they call "Personal Email", I prefer it because it's unlimited emails with unlimited standard attachments, ie. jpg, gif, pdf, doc, xls etc. also, unlimited BBM and IM app service. The PE plan is a lot cheaper then the minimum basic data plan, I can't justify blowing $30-$50 + Voice a month. Our carriers here in Canada are vultures, unfortunately we don't have as nice plans and phones as the US. I don't surf on my Blackberry, only reason I need data plan is for downloading apps. I get most of the apps via Wifi anyways.

If you just do mainly email, then PE plan is better, but if you plan to surf, do banking or keep that weather app updated all the time, then go with the data plan. I guess in the end is what you use it for and how much you can afford.

Also, my wife and daughter prefer the Blackberry phones because the keyboards are much nicer for SMS/MMS and they both don't have Blackberry data plans, they just love the keyboard layout. To answer your question.

Last but not least, I've been a cell user for 20 years and have had many phones, I usually go through one a year at least. Last few years I've seem to be stuck on Blackberry phones, they just make better and more solid phones IMO, I've always found their voice quality better.
    Last edited by MiniM3; 03-10-2010 at 06:24 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I downloaded app world without a data plan all I have is the messenger msn and facebook plan no data and it seems to work for me over wifi

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hemi_fan View Post
    There are 3rd-party apps out there (google them) that you can use/download over a wifi connection instead of just the BB Appworld data centric apps. For the most part, a large majority of the apps made for the BB will require a data plan for full functionality. That's just how the cookie crumbles!