Hello everyone,

So here's a little background:
    I have a BB9000 and my gf has a BB8520. I have a data plan, and her data plan has just expired. We wanted to continue being in touch by texting so I downloaded Whatsapp for her to use when she's at home or work with a WiFi spot available. I continue to use my 3G data plan.

Now the weird behavior:
    We noticed something odd. Her Whatsapp started working without WiFi connection!! See, I'm no expert in Mobile communications or anything, but I have checked the Connections menu, it has WiFi on, but it's definitely not connected to any WiFi spot, and in the "Blackberry Internet Service" state, it says Not Connected... She can't explore any webpages or send/receive emails nor PIN messages... But Whatsapp is working

I guess it might be related with Whatsapp being routed through the phone number, but without internet connection, I don't see how's that working...

I'm just so curious about maybe there is a way to get it to work like this, there's got to be an explanation...

If there's anyone with an idea, you'll be welcome to share...

Thanks!
    02-15-11 10:34 PM
    Can you try turning off the mobile network and seeing if that works?
    02-15-11 11:30 PM
    Thanks for your reply!

I've tried using it when there is no mobile network signal and it doesn't work there... And as soon as the mobile signal is available, it works again...
    So it is using the mobile network to send the messages, but still I can't access to any internet service other than Whatsapp...
    I still don't get how :S
    02-16-11 11:39 AM
    This sounds like the phone is using WAP services or some sort. Not sure if that is happening but just my 2 cents.
    02-16-11 12:07 PM
    yes this is strange but true. i was looking out for some post that would let me know how can it work without internet connection. my Nokia 5230 is allowing to use the whatsapp without any internet connection. i cannot access the internet but am able to use the whatsapp very easily and conveniently not sure how i was trying to figure out how much the service provider would be charging for this? any more ideas
    06-07-13 04:14 AM
    Hi, It's the same for me. I have a blackberry torch with a 3G connection. I have no internet connection and my WiFi is turned off. I don't have a plan - I have a pay-as-you-go.

I have had countless arguments with friends and family that goes something like this: Me "I told you before, you DON'T have to have an internet connection to use Whatsapp! You just need an internet connection to download the application and the
    updates...but that's it! You can use Whatsapp as easily as you use text messages using the smartphone 3G and 4G connection!"

[Oh by the way - I noticed it works only with a 3G network connection, if my phone switch to another network, it doesn't work.]

They all disagree with me. Last night I decided to investigate this and see whether my phone has a glitch that allows it to send and recieve messages without an internet connection. I stumbled upon this site and decided to weigh in.

I wish the Whatsapp tech people will enlighten us...
    07-23-13 12:20 PM
    you shouldn't even need Internet access on your phone to download it. Just need the package on a local machine (give to your friend on USB?) and then load via Desktop Manager.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9370 using Tapatalk
    07-24-13 11:33 PM
    My husband was telling me the samething, that he didn't need internet to use it, and it happens all the time, when his data plan is over Whatsapp is the only thing he can use.
    I wish i could understand this!
    02-19-14 11:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD