Can someone make an APP or know of an APP that will place an icon on the home screen that you can click on and will hide your ID before you make a call? Reason I ask is that when on a service call, I don't always want the person to have my cell phone number. That is what my main number is for. I don't really want my cell phone ringing all hours of the night. It is kinda aggravating having to go through the menu to block my ID before a call. I'm not being selfish, but I do like to leave my work at work and not take it home with me.

Thank you.
    12-29-09 05:49 AM
    I know that if you dial *67 then the telephone number...your caller id will come up as either restricted or private or something along those lines...best part is that it is call based...hope this helps
    12-29-09 06:13 AM
    ever heard of *67?
    12-29-09 06:13 AM
    Can someone make an APP or know of an APP that will place an icon on the home screen that you can click on and will hide your ID before you make a call? Reason I ask is that when on a service call, I don't always want the person to have my cell phone number. That is what my main number is for. I don't really want my cell phone ringing all hours of the night. It is kinda aggravating having to go through the menu to block my ID before a call. I'm not being selfish, but I do like to leave my work at work and not take it home with me.

Thank you.
    If you have ATT like I do, you can log into your account and where it lists "Manage Features" you can select to have your phone number blocked! And its FREE

Arlene
    12-29-09 06:37 AM
    The only downside to that is, be prepared to leave a lot of voicemail messages because if most people are like me, they don't answer blocked calls. Seems like you need google voice to manage your personal and business lines.
    12-29-09 06:51 AM
    This idea may make an interesting addition to all of the launch apps that help toggle bluetooth and connections, etc. You might suggest this in the threads on Quicklaunch, Shortcutme and Intellilaunch - if it is possible, they may implement it.
    12-29-09 09:04 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. I had forgotten all about *67. Google voice sounds like the answer to this. F2, I think you are hitting on a good idea there.

Thank you again everyone for your help.
    12-29-09 03:04 PM
    yea dont use *67 because callblocker pro works even better, id never even know you called
    12-29-09 03:06 PM
    I have my number blocked through VZW and add *82 to the beginning of each of my contacts. The downside is that you can't send SMS/MMS messages to the names in your contact list because the messaging service isn't smart enough to omit the *82. Once you have a running SMS list you can clear the chat but keep the name in your SMS list and reply at free will. Or, manually type in the contact number to send SMS/MMS. This is the first device I have had that won't allow you edit a number once you've selected them from the contact list. Normally the number has been displayed and I would simply remove the *82 and send away. BB's are to technical to allow the user to control what they need. LOL
    12-29-09 03:13 PM
    Perhaps get a Google Voice account and when you get off work disable forwarding of calls from BB app? That way they could still call you back if they must?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 06:19 PM
    Also had a brainfart, go to call screen>options>General options and toggle the "restrict my identity" option while you are at work? Good thing about a GV acct. Is throughout the day your clients would be a lot more likely to answer your calls with a real number showing up versus blocked or unknown caller I'd... I may have a few GV invites if ya need one.....

12-29-09 06:24 PM
    umm... *67 doesn't seem to work duuudes. it sends me to verizon's robot operator
    12-29-09 08:41 PM
    I have my number blocked through VZW and add *82 to the beginning of each of my contacts. The downside is that you can't send SMS/MMS messages to the names in your contact list because the messaging service isn't smart enough to omit the *82. Once you have a running SMS list you can clear the chat but keep the name in your SMS list and reply at free will. Or, manually type in the contact number to send SMS/MMS. This is the first device I have had that won't allow you edit a number once you've selected them from the contact list. Normally the number has been displayed and I would simply remove the *82 and send away. BB's are to technical to allow the user to control what they need. LOL
    I just create a seperate entry under "other" with the number without the *82 and use that number for texts.

12-29-09 09:46 PM
    So nobody wants to answer a Blocked ID.
    Yet when calling out, want to keep their number blocked.

Hello?

Epic Fail.
    12-29-09 10:00 PM
    Also had a brainfart, go to call screen>options>General options and toggle the "restrict my identity" option while you are at work? Good thing about a GV acct. Is throughout the day your clients would be a lot more likely to answer your calls with a real number showing up versus blocked or unknown caller I'd... I may have a few GV invites if ya need one.....

Thanks for the info. I sent a request for an invite. If you you have an extra I could get from you I would appreciate it. When I receive mine I will pay it forward or give it to you, which ever you would like me to do.
    12-30-09 05:14 AM

Hello?

Epic Fail.
    I answer all my calls no matter what the caller ID says. But I know what you are saying.
    12-30-09 05:16 AM
    umm... *67 doesn't seem to work duuudes. it sends me to verizon's robot operator
    That might just be a Verizon thing. It seems to work for AT&T.
    12-30-09 05:18 AM

Hello?

Epic Fail.
    I never block my number because 99% of the time, the person will send you straight to vm, because that's what I do. If you call me with a blocked number, the only way you'll get me is if you leave a voicemail and then I'll call you back, but then what was the point in blocking your number in the first place then?
    12-30-09 08:50 AM
    Interesting kinda *67 blocks my number and I am on VZW also , why it works for some and not all now
    12-30-09 09:03 AM
    Chucky I sent an invite your way man..Just be sure you pass one along to some other member in need around here if you would please. I hope GV helps your situation and you find its full potential handy.

I have had my real cell number for a few years now, its VERY hard to just up and change numbers, but GV really is a very handy thing as you give your number out from hence forth. I could see GV being a very VERY useful tool for a business. I really think the GV application for BlackBerry could be much more useful than it is now, but I guess it's a work in progress...At least I hope lol

Good luck!

Blaine
    01-01-10 11:49 PM
    Chucky I sent an invite your way man..Just be sure you pass one along to some other member in need around here if you would please. I hope GV helps your situation and you find its full potential handy.

I have had my real cell number for a few years now, its VERY hard to just up and change numbers, but GV really is a very handy thing as you give your number out from hence forth. I could see GV being a very VERY useful tool for a business. I really think the GV application for BlackBerry could be much more useful than it is now, but I guess it's a work in progress...At least I hope lol

Good luck!

Blaine

Thanks for the invite. I will pass mine along as soon as i receive it. Hopefully I will have everything set up by tomorrow. Again, Thank you.
    01-02-10 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD