I am hoping that the developers in the BB community will develop an mp3 app that not only looks good, but also functions well - across all BBs.

I was a beta tester, and eventual buyer of both Miutunes and Flipside. I actually use(d) both of them, and was pretty happy with them on both my 8830 and my 8320. However, after upgrading to a Storm2 (9550), both apps have their issues.

I was very happy with Miutunes on my 8830, as it has/had all of the functionality of a traditional mp3 player (i.e. ipod), and had a pretty good rendition of coverflo. However, it hasn't been updated in over a year and a half, and Simprit is completely unresponsive. Not to mention, it isn't touch friendly, nor is it "really" compatible with the new screen resolutions.

I went to Flipside as my back-up, but it is quite buggy on the Storm2 (9550). It may be an issue with OS5.0, or a combination, I'm not sure. But, when the music completely stops every time the phone makes a noise (i.e. email, sms, bbm, event, etc.) it becomes a pain to go to the menu to "pause", and then go back to the menu to "play" to restart at the same location. The other option is start playing another song. Of course, this defeats the purpose of using it as a mp3 player. Flipside is also "limited" on the touch controls (unless you bring up the keyboard), and doesn't have all the functionality (i.e. search by genre, artist, album, etc.), it just has coverflo. The coverflo is 2-D and very nice, but limited functionality added together with a bug that constantly stops the music has driven me away from this app.

Is there anyone out there that can produce/update an mp3 app with great functionality AND eye candy? One that works with keyboards and touch, including the latest screen resolutions, etc?

I have looked at a few of the other players that are out there, and none of them bring enough to the table (either lack of functionality, or eye candy, etc.). I am not going to pay for an app that looks and feels the same as the native player... or isn't as good as the native player.

Any help for the users who use their device as more than just a phone, love music, and don't want to carry multiple devices, would be greatly appreciated.
    12-01-09 12:50 PM
    I would an mp3 player that is just that. I don't have time to find album art etc. I just want a functional mp3 player, that can sort by name/genre/album/etc and can remember it's last location. And be free. Nothing more than my ipod nano supplies.
    12-04-09 10:43 AM
    I would an mp3 player that is just that. I don't have time to find album art etc. I just want a functional mp3 player, that can sort by name/genre/album/etc and can remember it's last location. And be free. Nothing more than my ipod nano supplies.
    Your iPod Nano was free?
    12-04-09 10:49 AM
    Yeah, a friend gave it to me when he bought his shuffle. Why? Oh, wait I get it, you are implying I am cheapskate; clever. Well I figured someone would, just didn't think it would be so quick.

muitunes, flipside, etc provide a lot of value/functionality. I think they are worth the money. All I am asking for is the ability to remember last played song/position (beyond what default player does). That isn't worth $20 to me. I would pay around $2~$3 I suppose. Yeah I guess I am a cheapskate. Java has a pretty rich media api, maybe I'll just do something on one weekend, or over holidays.

~S
    Last edited by snowsquirrel; 12-04-09 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling
    12-04-09 10:56 AM
    Things get so slow when playing mp3s on a blackberry. I really cant stand it. I'm sure Blackberries are not good at playing mp3s. I've used an old 83xx and now i have a storm. Its all the same ... buggy and sloppy. Even tried a few 3rd party mp3 players but they dont stay light on resources as well.
    12-04-09 11:03 AM
    i remember a media player called xplayer. that was a little while ago, so they may have updated it since then. I think the dev's name is Shape Services.
    12-04-09 01:19 PM
    Things get so slow when playing mp3s on a blackberry. I really cant stand it. I'm sure Blackberries are not good at playing mp3s. I've used an old 83xx and now i have a storm. Its all the same ... buggy and sloppy. Even tried a few 3rd party mp3 players but they dont stay light on resources as well.
    weird my Storm doesn't slow down when playing MP3's.

And also I'm not saying you're a cheepskate, I would love it to be free. And I'm not saying you need to pay $20, even $3 would be reasonable. All I'm saying is it seems kind of insulting to say "Why won't a developer make an app that does this and this and this and this, oh ya and I don't believe your time is worth any of my money so to top it off I won't pay you anything." Doesn't exactly get developers chomping at the bit to know that you're giving them the opportunity to waste their time developing an app you don't think is worth compensation.
    12-04-09 01:23 PM
    the default BB mp3 is good enough for me. really anything extra is just to please you visually. once the music starts playing do you really care how the app looks or the other features it has or doesn't have?
    12-04-09 01:50 PM
    Hey we have just updated FlipSide to support OS5 - it now supports the hard key playback controls even in background and also supports Bluetooth remote control (AVRCP) and playback (A2DP). Let us know if there are other things you would like us to improve and we will if we can. You can get the latest version by browsing to http://flipside.fm/os5/fs.jad or FlipSide MP3 Player for Windows Mobile and BlackBerry � Home on your Storm 2 or other OS5 device.
    12-04-09 01:58 PM
    Hey we have just updated FlipSide to support OS5 - it now supports the hard key playback controls even in background and also supports Bluetooth remote control (AVRCP) and playback (A2DP). Let us know if there are other things you would like us to improve and we will if we can. You can get the latest version by browsing to http://flipside.fm/os5/fs.jad or FlipSide MP3 Player for Windows Mobile and BlackBerry � Home on your Storm 2 or other OS5 device.
    All of the updates to Flipside (Dec '09) for os5 have been great, and the app is a lot less buggy.

I still have not been able to access the forums on flipside.fm for quite some time.

However, whenever an e-mail, text, bbm, or other incoming item (aside from a phone call) comes in, the music stops, but does not resume. The wierd thing is that even though flipside has stopped, it doesn't appear that the app knows it - meaning the user still has to hit pause (and it then shows pause), and then hit pause again a second time before it resumes playing. As noted, it works as expected when a phone call comes in.

Additional feature - modified feature requests:
    * Add text list/sort option - i.e. artist, album, genre, year, etc. Cover art/flow is great, but there are times when the text sort would be handy.
    * Add the ability to pause, close the app, and return to where you were
    01-22-10 11:37 AM
    weird my Storm doesn't slow down when playing MP3's.

And also I'm not saying you're a cheepskate, I would love it to be free. And I'm not saying you need to pay $20, even $3 would be reasonable. All I'm saying is it seems kind of insulting to say "Why won't a developer make an app that does this and this and this and this, oh ya and I don't believe your time is worth any of my money so to top it off I won't pay you anything." Doesn't exactly get developers chomping at the bit to know that you're giving them the opportunity to waste their time developing an app you don't think is worth compensation.
    And, for the record, I paid for both miutunes and flipside. Paying for a full feature set application would not be an issue for many of us, including myself. Flipside development is active, and making large strides. Let's hope they continue...
    01-22-10 11:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD