I have a Bold. To me Opera Mini is best browser out there for BB or most of the mobiles. But I installed Bolt because I saw lots of threads talking about changing to Bolt. I don't get it !. It is significantly slower, does not seem to auto size, have not been able to get decent font, have tried all the variations in pref and it is still awfull. I know it must be good because so many experts are singing praises versus opera. Any advice on where I might be going wrong would be appreciated

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 01:47 AM
    bolt just works for me. Right after i downloaded it, i didn't have to change anything on it's setting. It is way faster that both the bb browser and opera mini in my case.
    05-22-09 02:13 AM
    I like Bolt because it is fast and it renders webpages effectively and accurately. Opera seems to distort some sites or not even support them; there is a lot of word overlapping. It would be great if Volt automatically snapped to columns of text like Opera.
    05-22-09 02:26 AM
    I still prefer Opera Mini. There are several sites I visit where the Bolt browser will not process the form fields correctly.

05-22-09 05:52 AM
    I'm surprised you find it slower. What version of bolt did you dnld?
    While there are drawbacks to both, I definitely prefer Bolts page rendering. As for some sites not rendering correctly, this is Bolt BETA. Sending them feedback on which sites they fall short on will help them make it better.

05-22-09 06:04 AM
    Opera mini hands down. Bolt has improved with the newest version but still slower than opera and not as easy to navigate. I have them both installed but rarely use bolt.

05-22-09 06:37 AM
    Running Curve with OS5... have run Opera on earlier OS (4.x). Currently have OE BB browser, Opera 5.1, and just tried Bolt (v2.1)

OTA links:
    - Opera: m.opera.com
    - Bolt: http://boltbrowser.com/boltbb.jad

Am happy with Opera, and am just trying Bolt... seems to be quicker. From what I've seen from (device specific) threads:
    - use OE browser to download apps
    - Opera for "light" browsing
    - Bolt for "heavy" (desktop type) browsing

Any recent feedback with the current versions? Bolt is reportedly Webkit based, like Safari.

How do Opera / Bolt compare with the latest BB OS6 browser (WebKit based) ?
    08-29-10 02:30 PM
    Bolt all the way.

The closest some of us will get to a webkit browser.

I like how bolt renders everything as a proper webpage. I cam even get mafia wars on facebook with no problems.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-29-10 03:35 PM
    I have a Bold. To me Opera Mini is best browser out there for BB or most of the mobiles. But I installed Bolt because I saw lots of threads talking about changing to Bolt. I don't get it !. It is significantly slower, does not seem to auto size, have not been able to get decent font, have tried all the variations in pref and it is still awfull. I know it must be good because so many experts are singing praises versus opera. Any advice on where I might be going wrong would be appreciated

I'm with ya man. I've given Bolt many a chance and truly tried to like it. For the life of me, I can't seem to find anything I prefer about it over Opera. Opera wins in speed, rendering, fluidity of navigation, ease of use, everything.. I can't stand trying to watch a video with Bolt. Video is choppy and pixilated, just terrible.
    08-29-10 03:48 PM
    Has opera fixed the over sensitave trackpad issue?

08-29-10 10:25 PM
    I wish Opera didn't feel like you were using it "remotely" when navigating menu, tabs, etc. I feels like there's a lag to it, ya know?
    08-29-10 10:34 PM

I've tried both and I think that each is adept at different things. I used Opera for my WinMo device and Bolt on my Samsung Eternity.

Bolt is by far faster. The main reason is that it is server-based, meaning it doesn't actually render the page on your device, but on a remote server. You're just using your BB to view that rendering.

Opera, however, is not much slower. It auto-sizes pages and I feel it is more customizable. I personally use Opera more.

08-29-10 11:04 PM
    I used both on my 8330 depending on the site. On my S2 I have no need for either of them as the native browser seems to be the best option. But I would say keep both. They're both relatively small and both have advantages and disadvantages. I think Opera is better overall but for some sites Opera will only load the mobile version. For those sites, use Bolt.
    08-29-10 11:16 PM
    I'm with ya man. I've given Bolt many a chance and truly tried to like it. For the life of me, I can't seem to find anything I prefer about it over Opera. Opera wins in speed, rendering, fluidity of navigation, ease of use, everything.. I can't stand trying to watch a video with Bolt. Video is choppy and pixilated, just terrible.
    I have both, but I never knew Opera did much better on video than Bolt. I had been using Bolt more because it is more like a standard web browser and I didn't care much for the menu bar of Opera Mini. I wish it were more like Bolt where it acts like a standard BB menu. I do like how Opera Mini is fast, like its zooming box, like how it compresses the data quite a bit. What I love about Bolt, though, is I can go to normal sites. I am trying to use Opera to go to the full site of ESPN and it keeps bringing up ESPN Mobile. With Bolt, I can go directly to the full site of ESPN. I used Bolt as a comparison browser when I checked out OS 6 on the Torch in the ATT Store and Bolt gave same look to web sites as 0S 6. Didn't feel like I needed the OS 6 web browser, using Bolt. Though to be fair, the Torch is touch screen and the Tour is small screen, no touch.
    08-30-10 01:35 AM
    I still like Opera Mini best, although Bolt is necessary for some sites. And, Mini isn't an option right now cuz of the trackpad issue
    08-30-10 07:42 PM
    Mini can't handle trackpad issues...

So bolt. Although i liked mini better when it worked!
    08-30-10 08:47 PM
    Mini can't handle trackpad issues...

So bolt. Although i liked mini better when it worked!
    08-30-10 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD