I am on a family trip in North Carolina (Charlotte area) this week and Berry Weather hasn't worked since before I left home last Tuesday morning. Also - my bold will not lock onto the correct time (it changed from Central to Eastern time). Berry Wather still isn't working. Then this morning my Bold's whole system went haywire. It wouldn't do anything at all. Every time I clickws the trackball while the desktop was showing (no icons were intentionaly being clicked on - the browser opened up. I did a battery pull and this seemed to work out all immediate problems temporarily.

It's 11:35 p.m. and the time time has everted back to central time. Berry Weather still isn't working.

Can anybody tell me what is causing my Bold to behave in this manner...?

Thanks.

Peace...
    11-27-09 06:01 PM
    The Bold will not change timezones automatically. At least not on OS 4.6. It's designed to be this way, and is not a flaw/bug in the OS. You need to manually update the time in options - date/time

Can you give a little more insight as to what your problem with BerryWeather is? Other than "it's not working". What's not working?

And if you're whole OS was "haywire", a battery pull is a good place to start. It will clear up most problems.
    11-27-09 11:12 PM
    The Bold will not change timezones automatically. At least not on OS 4.6. It's designed to be this way, and is not a flaw/bug in the OS. You need to manually update the time in options - date/time

Can you give a little more insight as to what your problem with BerryWeather is? Other than "it's not working". What's not working?

And if you're whole OS was "haywire", a battery pull is a good place to start. It will clear up most problems.
    I'm sorry I was a bit sketchy with my description of what was going on with my Bold this week. I was falling asleep at the computer keyboard and - but anyway....

I really wasn't aware that the Bold wouldn't change time zones without me telling it to. Thanks - that fixed that problem.

I had done a battery pull a couple of times for Berry Weather, but nothing seemed to get it to stop "updating". Then I finally removed and reinstalled it - and that seemed to fix whatever was happening with it.

Again - thanks for your help.

Peace....
    11-28-09 10:08 PM
    I'm sorry I was a bit sketchy with my description of what was going on with my Bold this week. I was falling asleep at the computer keyboard and - but anyway....

I really wasn't aware that the Bold wouldn't change time zones without me telling it to. Thanks - that fixed that problem.

I had done a battery pull a couple of times for Berry Weather, but nothing seemed to get it to stop "updating". Then I finally removed and reinstalled it - and that seemed to fix whatever was happening with it.

Again - thanks for your help.

Peace....
    No worries, it happens to the best of us

BlackBerry has never changed timezones automatically because it would mess with all your calendar entries. For the casual user, it may not be a big deal. But for business, if you're very dependant on your calendar being pushed to your phone, it is a big deal. That's one of the reasons why it doesn't do that. You can do a search on here or Google if you want to learn more about it.

Regarding the BerryWeather issue, there was a BIS outage sometime last week, and that was causing some problems with BW. It kept going into an update loop. The only way to fix it was to change the transport method to something other than BIS - like TCP or WiFi. It was back to normal when BIS came back online. So it should be working now. (tease: BW2 addresses issues such as this. Not to mention adds a bunch of new features and updates )

Hope everything is working for you now.
    11-29-09 12:06 AM
    No worries, it happens to the best of us

BlackBerry has never changed timezones automatically because it would mess with all your calendar entries. For the casual user, it may not be a big deal. But for business, if you're very dependant on your calendar being pushed to your phone, it is a big deal. That's one of the reasons why it doesn't do that. You can do a search on here or Google if you want to learn more about it.

Regarding the BerryWeather issue, there was a BIS outage sometime last week, and that was causing some problems with BW. It kept going into an update loop. The only way to fix it was to change the transport method to something other than BIS - like TCP or WiFi. It was back to normal when BIS came back online. So it should be working now. (tease: BW2 addresses issues such as this. Not to mention adds a bunch of new features and updates )

Hope everything is working for you now.
    BW2 huh? I just got BerryWeather for Dealoftheday. What version is "BW2" exactly? I wonder if I'm updated..?
    11-29-09 05:56 PM
    It would be version 2. You just bought 1.5. BW2 will be out in about a week or so. If you just bought on Friday for DoD, you'll be eligible for a free upgrade to v2

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-09 05:58 PM
    You just not only answered my first question, but then predicted my next question and answered it as well! Thanks, you're the best! And I can't wait for version 2!
    11-29-09 06:00 PM
    I'm just good like that there's lots of goodies in v2. Everyones going to love it. Like I said, about a week or so. Hang tight. It'll be worth the wait

11-29-09 06:04 PM
    Again, thanks so much
    You've got me excited. So are you a beta tester, or you work on BerryWeather yourself as a developer?
    11-29-09 06:08 PM
    That's the idea I'm not the dev, but I'm on the team of beta testers. If you look at the BerryWeather 2.0 beta thread here on CB, you'll see a few authorized "sneak peaks" into the app.

11-29-09 06:16 PM
    Thanks! I'll search for that thread then!
    11-29-09 06:25 PM
    That's the idea I'm not the dev, but I'm on the team of beta testers. If you look at the BerryWeather 2.0 beta thread here on CB, you'll see a few authorized "sneak peaks" into the app.

Well since this is a thread about Berry Weather on the Bold, I've got another one for you. Had the free trail of BW, and decided to buy it with the DOD the other day. I installed that and QuickLaunch the same evening, and then had memory leaks galore. Was doing a pull and starting at about 27M of memory, and within 3-4 hrs was at 14 and dropping. Over the last week or so, I had been keeping watch on memory after un-installing another app I thought was causing a problem (The Hockey News), and could go 48 hrs or so before getting as low as 14.

Un-installed QL first, and it was still dropping quickly, so I pulled BW, and now the device is at 16-17 after about 20 hrs since battery pull. I will re-install BW again tonight and see if the problem comes back. Any thoughts in the mean time ?

Running .297 official ATT on the Bold
    11-29-09 07:55 PM
    Well since this is a thread about Berry Weather on the Bold, I've got another one for you. Had the free trail of BW, and decided to buy it with the DOD the other day. I installed that and QuickLaunch the same evening, and then had memory leaks galore. Was doing a pull and starting at about 27M of memory, and within 3-4 hrs was at 14 and dropping. Over the last week or so, I had been keeping watch on memory after un-installing another app I thought was causing a problem (The Hockey News), and could go 48 hrs or so before getting as low as 14.

Un-installed QL first, and it was still dropping quickly, so I pulled BW, and now the device is at 16-17 after about 20 hrs since battery pull. I will re-install BW again tonight and see if the problem comes back. Any thoughts in the mean time ?

Running .297 official ATT on the Bold
    I had a 9000 with OS 5.0.0.314 before I got my 9700. I still have it, so I'm testing BW on both devices. (oh, I also had the hockey news...got rid of it. It consumed lots of memory - I suspect that was one of your problems)

I have QL installed as well, and don't notice any significant memory leaks caused by that. To be honest, it's been a while since I used the "public" version of BW1.5. I've had alphas/betas for just shy of two months now. Yes, BW1.5 did use up some memory, somewhere in the 1-3MB range. It also depends on how your set up is...how many locations? how often do they update? any cell/GPS locations? What theme (widgets or plain) are you using? There's lots of variables that come into play. The more locations and more frequent you update, the more memory consumed.

In BW2.0, the .cod has been optimized, and it really runs great. On my 9700 now (which is my primary focus, since it's my new toy ) after boot up I have about 123MB free. After lots of browsing, playing with apps, testing BW, twitter, facebook, camera use, music playing....I drop maybe 3-4MB. It's really amazing. I'm not sure what RIM did with OS5 on this device, but it's brilliant. Oh, and the battery life is superb. But thats for another thread. I haven't been able to test memory for too long, because new betas have been released every 24-48 hours and I have to reboot. But during that time, I do not need to do a batter pull, and memory is very stable.

I hope I answered your questions. The good news is... the forecast is good
    11-29-09 08:49 PM
    I had a 9000 with OS 5.0.0.314 before I got my 9700. I still have it, so I'm testing BW on both devices. (oh, I also had the hockey news...got rid of it. It consumed lots of memory - I suspect that was one of your problems)

I have QL installed as well, and don't notice any significant memory leaks caused by that. To be honest, it's been a while since I used the "public" version of BW1.5. I've had alphas/betas for just shy of two months now. Yes, BW1.5 did use up some memory, somewhere in the 1-3MB range. It also depends on how your set up is...how many locations? how often do they update? any cell/GPS locations? What theme (widgets or plain) are you using? There's lots of variables that come into play. The more locations and more frequent you update, the more memory consumed.

In BW2.0, the .cod has been optimized, and it really runs great. On my 9700 now (which is my primary focus, since it's my new toy ) after boot up I have about 123MB free. After lots of browsing, playing with apps, testing BW, twitter, facebook, camera use, music playing....I drop maybe 3-4MB. It's really amazing. I'm not sure what RIM did with OS5 on this device, but it's brilliant. Oh, and the battery life is superb. But thats for another thread. I haven't been able to test memory for too long, because new betas have been released every 24-48 hours and I have to reboot. But during that time, I do not need to do a batter pull, and memory is very stable.

I hope I answered your questions. The good news is... the forecast is good
    Thanks for the info, did have 2 locations home and a cell location set up, don't remember if I set up how often the updates were, so that may have been default. Surprised how much memory it takes to run that if it's draining that fast. But I'll re-install and see how it goes. Looking forward to the 2.0 version. And supposedly it's the way they wrote the "radio stack" if I remember correctly as to why the 9700 runs so well and has such great battery life. Saw that in a post on here somewhere. May have been in one of the main blogs.
    11-29-09 09:07 PM
    Thanks for the info, did have 2 locations home and a cell location set up, don't remember if I set up how often the updates were, so that may have been default. Surprised how much memory it takes to run that if it's draining that fast. But I'll re-install and see how it goes. Looking forward to the 2.0 version. And supposedly it's the way they wrote the "radio stack" if I remember correctly as to why the 9700 runs so well and has such great battery life. Saw that in a post on here somewhere. May have been in one of the main blogs.
    What other apps do you have installed and running? Because that sounds like a big memory leak, and I don't recall seeing something like that since using TweetGenius.

I have one current location set up (cell/gps), with five fixed locations, for a total of six. I have it update every 30 mins, and update advisory also every 30 mins. The memory with BW2.0 is quite stable.I'm keeping an eye on my 9000 also, but it won't be an 'apples to apples' since its not my daily driver, and I'm not using it like I would. Just making sure BW runs smoothly.

I'd suggest uninstalling BW, reinstall it, set all permissions to Allow, and do another battery pull. I hope that clears it up.
    11-29-09 09:23 PM
    Just so you know, for stats and all..
    I have 7 locations lol. One is GPS/location based, the other 6 are locations I'm going to in Japan in 11 days. I have the app update the weather every 15 minutes, and advisories every 10 minutes.

My bold has become laggier with unlocking and also opening the e-mail app and the sms app ever since installing berryweather 2 or 3 days ago, but I have been ignoring it, and now that I know 2.0 is coming, I'm going to wait and see if it helps

(and, I don't have as large a memory leak as Jerseydriver)
    11-29-09 11:42 PM
    What other apps do you have installed and running? Because that sounds like a big memory leak, and I don't recall seeing something like that since using TweetGenius.

I have one current location set up (cell/gps), with five fixed locations, for a total of six. I have it update every 30 mins, and update advisory also every 30 mins. The memory with BW2.0 is quite stable.I'm keeping an eye on my 9000 also, but it won't be an 'apples to apples' since its not my daily driver, and I'm not using it like I would. Just making sure BW runs smoothly.

I'd suggest uninstalling BW, reinstall it, set all permissions to Allow, and do another battery pull. I hope that clears it up.
    Yeah, watched my memory for another day or so, and it was very stable, slowing working down over 40+ hrs to about 13-14. Earlier today re-installed BW, added just my home location and set it to update at 2 hrs. No problems so far, re-added QL as well as two other small apps, memory actually seems better now with more programs *shrugs*. Will continue to monitor and add a few more locations just to see. May have been some combination or that Hockey News app I'll re-install that at some point and see if the problem comes back, cause I really like the features they have, shame if it doesn't work.
    12-01-09 11:32 PM
    this has nothing to do with the app but the time zones will change automatically if you set the options right
    12-02-09 12:36 AM
    this has nothing to do with the app but the time zones will change automatically if you set the options right
    How do you set the options to change the time zones automatically? I think I looked for this possibility and I just didn't see it. So - please advise...

Thanks a mil.

Peace
    12-08-09 12:38 AM
    How do you set the options to change the time zones automatically? I think I looked for this possibility and I just didn't see it. So - please advise...

Thanks a mil.

Peace
    This is only a feature that is in OS5. It is found under Date/Time in options.

12-08-09 07:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD