so from reading online reviews and user reviews of new os7 devices.... apps seem to be the one downer. i guess i have to be the one to defend the bold 9900. first blackberry has never been known for their apps. so when i hear reviewers say oh it's not like the iphone i say CRAP. iphone is known for their apps they promote it on all of their commercials. if you want a phone for apps get an iphone or an android phone. the reality is blackberry does the job well. i personally have all the apps i need on my blackberry. weather, ebay, amazon, banking, and sportsmobile. everything i need in my daily life i have an app for it on my BLACKBERRY! to me it seems as if most apps on android and iphone are just stupid apps to goof off with or gaming apps. my kids have dsi's and i have a 3ds. if i want to game i do it on a dedicated gaming device... not my PHONE. in closing this is not a bashing of android or iphone. they do great things for their users and i can respect that. with that said blackberry does all i want and need. i felt the need to defend my phone of choice.
    Bold9930 likes this.
    08-12-11 01:00 AM
    also take note that the new os7 phones are just launching. i expect great apps(yes even gaming apps) to come out soon. with the updated specs there is no reason for blackberry to be lacking in the apps department anymore.
    Last edited by twelvezero8; 08-12-11 at 01:07 AM.
    08-12-11 01:02 AM
    Your not alone 70 million people feel the same way!!
    08-12-11 01:03 AM
    Doesn't mater to me.
    08-12-11 01:04 AM
    also i have a question if anyone knows. i heard RIM has very high security standards that most developers dont want to go through. is that the reason why other platforms have so many apps? would that stop developers from making apps as they dont want to go through the security process?
    08-12-11 01:06 AM
    Where are we getting 70million ppl from? Is this from the BBM slide that said 65 million people are using BBM and growing by almost 2 million per day?

If that were really true, by this time next year there would be almost 800 million ppl using BBM. Do you really believe this?

Also how many are leaving per day?
    08-12-11 01:10 AM
    Where are we getting 70million ppl from? Is this from the BBM slide that said 65 million people are using BBM and growing by almost 2 million per day?

If that were really true, by this time next year there would be almost 800 million ppl using BBM. Do you really believe this?

Also how many are leaving per day?

Two million a month man. You should stop skimming over documents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 02:45 AM
    I can careless for all the apps. I love the Blackberry for it what it does best. Emails, keyboard and fast browsing. Win, win for me. Not like I sit around all day and play angry birds.
    Masahiro likes this.
    08-12-11 03:08 AM
    Apps are overrated.
    BBxpress and crigga84 like this.
    08-12-11 03:10 AM
    Apps are overrated.
    That's a pretty big statement, I have an iPod Touch and although I don't have many apps some are fantastic and my 9900 wont ever have all of the ones I have.

For the most part iOS apps are overrated but I am going to miss some massively.
    08-12-11 04:12 AM
    That's a pretty big statement, I have an iPod Touch and although I don't have many apps some are fantastic and my 9900 wont ever have all of the ones I have.

For the most part iOS apps are overrated but I am going to miss some massively.
    It is a bold statement, yet you agree with me (for the most part).

As for the apps on your iPod touch, what kind of apps are they? Can they be substituted with the mobile browser? I'm going to go ahead and say yes in most cases except for entertainment apps. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There's something that just irritates me about having an app sit around on my phone that only gets used maybe once a week or less. I'd rather use the browser and save the space on my phone without having to worry about it taking up my memory, possibly leaking if it's coded poorly, having to keep it up to date, worry about registration keys if it's a paid app (and having to pay for it of course), have it increase the boot time on the phone (the more apps you have, the longer the phone takes to reboot), etc...
    Last edited by Masahiro; 08-12-11 at 04:45 AM.
    08-12-11 04:40 AM
    To set the background for my following comments, I'm a die hard Blackberry fan. I have an iPhone 4 now simply because I got a good deal on craigslist, and it's a very nice device as well.

Simply put, I used to feel the same way regarding the app situation.... "there's a whole lot of useless crap in the iTunes app store". And there is. My blackberry did everything I wanted it to.

However, I've found a TON of amazingly useful apps that I simply did not have on my BB. My bank is a relatively small local credit union, and they even have an iPhone app. Google+ doesn't have a native BB app yet. Will it? Who knows, because why would developers put significant effort into a platform that has approximately 6 months to live before QNX replaces it?

RIM needs to woo developers, that's for sure. If a die hard Blackberry fan like myself can find things about the iPhone that would be difficult to give up, then their entire consumer market is vulnerable, and a good portion of their smaller/less sensitive corporate markets.

I still miss my sound/vibration profiles and blinking red light :-(

08-12-11 06:40 AM
    Your not alone 70 million people feel the same way!!
    That's impossible - didn't you get the email - the iPhone is taking over the world.
    08-12-11 07:31 AM

My bank is a relatively small local credit union, and they even have an iPhone app. Google+ doesn't have a native BB app yet.
    I personally would never use an app for banking. I would use the web for this as it's just more secure. It's just a matter of time before all those iPhone apps get hacked and scare the life out of consumers.

And why can't you use the web on your phone to do the same thing. It's an "app" isn't it?
    08-12-11 07:36 AM
    Good thing I use my iPhone as primary and my 9900 for just BBM and emails. The apps still seem horrid on this device.

Sigh.
    08-12-11 09:02 AM
    As for the apps on your iPod touch, what kind of apps are they? Can they be substituted with the mobile browser? I'm going to go ahead and say yes in most cases except for entertainment apps. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    My bank, USAA, has a mobile app for iOS and Android that allows you to snap a picture of a check and have it deposited immediately in your account. USAA doesn't have local branches, and I get about 10-15 checks per week that I currently have to mail into them and wait 4-5 days for them to hit my account.

USAA has come out publically and said they cannot make an app for the Blackberry due to the lack of available API's and complexity of the platform. They tried. They failed.

Just one example of a really good app that serves a quite useful function. It's still not enough to make me switch to an iPhone for though... LOL
    08-12-11 10:28 AM
    i guess i have to be the one to defend the bold 9900. first blackberry has never been known for their apps. so when i hear reviewers say oh it's not like the iphone i say CRAP. iphone is known for their apps they promote it on all of their commercials. if you want a phone for apps get an iphone or an android phone.
    I agree with you to a certain extent, but at the same time its not unreasonable in 2011 to expect a smartphone to communicate well and also have good apps. I don't expect RIM to compete with Apple and Android for apps, but I do think some improvement in this area in necessary. Apple, for example, has improved as a communications device so it would be smart of RIM to try and make some further progress with regards to apps.
    08-12-11 10:38 AM
    There's something that just irritates me about having an app sit around on my phone that only gets used maybe once a week or less. I'd rather use the browser and save the space on my phone without having to worry about it taking up my memory, possibly leaking if it's coded poorly, having to keep it up to date, worry about registration keys if it's a paid app (and having to pay for it of course), have it increase the boot time on the phone (the more apps you have, the longer the phone takes to reboot), etc...
    Why should ANYONE have to worry about this? That to me speaks volumes..
    kenshaw and howarmat like this.
    08-12-11 10:42 AM
    Who needs apps as long as the browser is powerful enough?

08-12-11 12:50 PM
    I can careless for all the apps. I love the Blackberry for it what it does best. Emails, keyboard and fast browsing. Win, win for me. Not like I sit around all day and play angry birds.
    Apps are overrated.
    Most loyal BlackBerry users who post on CrackBerry feel the same way. We use our phones for email. BBM, etc... But to the vast majority of smart phone users, those that never log on to a site like CrackBerry or have any clue what on board memory is, apps are very important. In my opinion, if RIM doesn't have a decent amount of popular apps that run on the new BlackBerry phones, sales and market share are going to continue to drop.

Even the most hardcore BlackBerry user has a few third party apps they could not do without installed on their phone. I'm not talking about launchers. I have no problem using launchers and the web browser to take care of my banking transactions or read the NY Times. But I consider myself a hardcord BB user and there are a few third-party apps installed on my Bold 9650 that I consider essential to want I want on my phone. TuneIn Radio, MLB at Bat, and PodTrapper are my three must have apps. It would be difficult for me to grab a new BlackBerry if these apps were not available for it.
    OniBerry likes this.
    08-12-11 05:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD