BlackBook for BlackBerry lets you store secured private contacts | BlackBerry Cool

Anyone try this app?

BlackBook for BlackBerry is a new app that acts just like a physical black book in that it�s a secret place to store contacts.
    With BlackBook, you get a hidden contact list, that�s accessible only by entering a customizable key combination on your keypad. Everything is hidden within the BlackBook including sms,pin,email and phone.
    This is important: because BlackBook is a hidden contact list, it does not have an icon. Instead, use a secret key-combination to get access.
    Features of this software include:
    • Featuring a completely hidden contact list, only accessible by typing in a customizable secret key combination.
    • Fully editable information fields keep your contacts up-to-date.
    • User defined filtering for incoming and outgoing calls, sms, pin, and email conversations.
    • Customizable caller-id names for incoming calls.
    • Import and export the BlackBook contact list fast, and efficiently.
    09-11-09 02:12 PM
    I just downloaded and tried it on my 8330 curve and it works erratically. Sometimes sms go to blackbook sometimes they go to the normal messages app. This would be awesome if it worked reliably 100% of the time.
    09-13-09 01:51 PM
    I just downloaded and tried it on my 8330 curve and it works erratically. Sometimes sms go to blackbook sometimes they go to the normal messages app. This would be awesome if it worked reliably 100% of the time.
    Hi forkup,

Thank you for supporting mblware and BlackBook. What you are probably experiencing is the following:

Reasearch in Motion (BlackBerry) does not allow 3rd party programmers to delete or block incoming SMS messages. BlackBook only creates a copy for itself to save in its own logs. But when an SMS message is viewed from the message log there is a menu option to open the Public log so you can delete the public entry. Once RIM opens up the functionality to delete SMS from the message log, blackBook will support it. We chose to add the partial functionality instead of completely removing it, as it does still hide the name on the SMS. If you have any other issues please contact [email protected] as we have 3 developers that take support question nearly 24/7
    09-13-09 02:37 PM
    black book rocks best app i paid for by far
    12-21-09 04:21 AM
    works great, only problem i have is if i get a message while its in the hoster it opens it when i pull it out to check it
    12-21-09 08:00 AM
    Lmao I just made a thread asking for this type of app. Nope, I haven't tried it but I will look into it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-09 08:23 AM
    I won a copy from here, and works great! Although i dont use it to hide contacts, i use it for all my account passwords, user id's, and stuff i have a hard time remembering. Awesome for that! Thumbs up! Its alot more than a hiding contacts app, and one everyone should have! Thanks again!
    12-21-09 08:52 AM
    I am using BBStorm with OS version 4.7.181 and my Blackbook app is working great! All SMS messages sent by my Blackbook contacts are only going to the Blackbook Message Log, not into the BB SMS Inbox. The message notification icon does not even show in my BBStorm homescreen.

This is my current configuration:

Options -> Security Options -> Firewall

Status -> Disabled
    Block Incoming Messages -> only checkmark the "SMS" option
    Except messages from -> only checkmark the "Contacts" option

Oddly, BBStorm blocks the SMS message but Blackbook accepts and logs it in its Message Log. I am not sure whether this is a bug in BBStorm but fortunately, this works great for those of you who has Blackbook and wants to receive SMS messages from their Blackbook contacts and do not want a copy of these messages in the BB SMS Inbox.

Hope this helps!
    02-15-10 03:29 AM
    Blackbook is VERY important to me!!!! I purchased it knowing all the 'glitches' hoping one day-SOON they would be solved. Like alot of you, I was still having the problem of my sms texts poping up with my 'general' texts -which is not good!!! I tried all the solutions that mlbware suggested like:

1-download the latest version
    2-enable firewalls
    blah blah blah... but I still saw the problem.
    Having already purchased call blocker, I was having to enable it to-prevent "the person" from calling- the deactiviting when it as ok for the person to call..... extremley daunting- anywho....
    If you have a BB BOld 9700- here are my settings. It works for me- it should work for you...

1. download latest version on blackbook
    2. go to applications, edit permissions, make they are ALL set to 'allow" and that you hit the SAVE button.
    3. go to security options-firewall-enable-*check block SMS, *check contacts, DO NOT check 'specific addresses' (leave that unchecked) make sure you hit save.
    4. Go to blackbook-options -*check filter sms outgoing, sms incoming (and any other filter you'd like
    5. Do a battery pull *again make sure that ALL permissions are set to ALLOW
    6. All of your texts should go right into Black book.

I dont know what other phones this will work on, but today is a great day! I love this APP.....
    03-09-10 03:30 PM
    so i just got a bb torch which i love and i downloaded blackbook. it works ok at best. the biggest problem i have is with email. i used it with a gmail account and when it sometimes allows emails from people in my blackbook to show up in my message logs. when i reply to emails in blackbook the messagei am replying to does not show up at the bottome of the email and the when i get replies from people i sometimes get hyper text formatting. it is very frustrating as i would love for this app to work well.

also, it does not support multiple emails from one blackbook contact
    12-29-10 03:40 PM
    I'm having the SMS problem and frankly, that alone makes this app useless

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-11 09:52 PM
    hi i have downloaded blackbook3 but i am unable to find out the software in my handset. If i try to install it is showing already installed but its nowhere visible in the handset. Pls help me out ...
    03-07-12 01:07 AM
    hi i have downloaded blackbook3 but i am unable to find out the software in my handset. If i try to install it is showing already installed but its nowhere visible in the handset. Pls help me out ...
    Welcome to the forums!!

First I would recommend updating the application to the latest version which I believe is v4.0.0.109. It's a great application and the upgrade should only be a dollar ($.99). Much improvement from v3 IMO.

To start the application, try the instructions from the AppWorld page.
    ** HOW TO RUN **
    BlackBook does NOT have an ICON. To launch it for the first time you must press the RED - END CALL BUTTON five (5) times in-a-row. (Your Launch Key is customizable in the OPTIONS)
    Buy BlackBook - Hide your contacts and conversations - Download BlackBook - Hide your contacts and conversations - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

You can find it on your device listed under "Clock" in your the application list.

Hope this helps.
    03-07-12 09:31 AM
    I downloaded Blackbook and it shows up in my applications list under "Application Management" not under Clock in Applications Management, which its supposed to do. Any ideas how to configure application "permissions" so it doesn"t show up in Applications Management? Maybe change settings in Default Permissions or Edit Permissions? Also having a problem with my mobile network turning off and wifi turning off since the download and sometimes sms showing up in my regular sms icon. I have to keep checking to make sure the mobile connections and the wifi connections are on. I have a Blackberry Bold 9900 and the only way I could get things t work was with the Firewall settings of:
    Firewall - "Enabled" - checkmarked
    Text messages - checkmarked
    Contacts - checkmarked

Other than that the app seems to run OK - maybe less battery.
    12-05-12 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD