Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I didn't see a "RIM Apps" section.

I have BlackBerry Protect on my Torch 9800. I noticed I can easily "sign out" in the BlackBerry Protect options. When I tap this it tells me that signing out will prevent me from tracking it if it is lost or stolen. No password is required to sign out.

Does this also disable the remote wipe, lock and message features? Seems a little too easy to shut down the protection..

Thanks.
    09-08-11 10:48 PM
    There is a Native Apps section.

Well, if you sign out of, let's say, Windows Live Messenger, can you still send messages to WLM friends?

So, yes, it needs to be signed with the BBID to work, everything hangs on "Waiting for device to respond" if you're signed off.

Yes, I did test before posting.
    09-08-11 11:03 PM
    There is a Native Apps section.
    Sorry, I thought Native Apps were ones that came installed on the phone.

Well, if you sign out of, let's say, Windows Live Messenger, can you still send messages to WLM friends?

So, yes, it needs to be signed with the BBID to work, everything hangs on "Waiting for device to respond" if you're signed off.

Yes, I did test before posting.
    So what you're saying is if my phone is stolen, the thief just needs to sign out of BlackBerry Protect and that's that? Seems a tad insecure to me
    09-08-11 11:14 PM
    If they're smart enough to know what to look for, yes, all they need to do is sign out of BB Protect and it becomes a useless tool. You could try hiding or burying the BB Protect icon deep in some obscure folder to make it less likely to be stumbled upon. Still, a BB savvy thief will know where and how to look. I guess you could hope for an honest person to find your phone or, better yet, keep it close and don't let it get stolen in the first place.
    Technerd.McLeod likes this.
    09-09-11 06:58 AM
    i put it in a random folder then hid it. however is still shows in the setup menu which suck. i think the next update should allow you to password protect the application.
    09-09-11 07:05 AM
    i put it in a random folder then hid it. however is still shows in the setup menu which suck. i think the next update should allow you to password protect the application.
    Good point mooda... There are 3rd party apps that allow you to do such things at some level but it would be nice to see it integrated within the app.
    09-09-11 07:24 AM
    Where does it show in the Setup menu? I'm on OS5 and it doesn't show in my Setup. Or maybe we're somehow talking about different Setups??

Also, kudos to the OP and others who said the sign out should be password protected. Strange that it's not already.

One other suggestion would be to password protect your entire phone and then set the "auto lock" time to whatever you're comfortable with. At least that way a thief would have to 1st enter the right phone password before being able to dig to find and sign out of BB Protect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-11 07:42 AM
    Why bother logging out Protect when all he needs to do is switching SIM cards?
    09-09-11 08:59 AM
    Where does it show in the Setup menu? I'm on OS5 and it doesn't show in my Setup. Or maybe we're somehow talking about different Setups??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    in OS 7 it show up in the setup menu it also comes pre loaded.
    09-10-11 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD