GPS Navigation on phones really needs an update. You can find a location using (for example) BlackBerry Traffic and hit go to. But there isn't an option to build a route with points along the way.

I used to use Rand McNally back in the day when planning my trips put west. I now use Microsoft Trips and Street to do the same.

I have been waiting forever for smartphone GPS apps to add functionality. Even Google Navigation is unable to build a trip with itinerary. Not to mention adds stops overnight, rest breaks, gas cost, trip costs. Etc.

I think with RIM partnering with TomTom and the QNX platform, RIM has an opportunity to create an outstanding phone based trip/navigation app.

It's about time really. I can't see buying a stand alone GPS for this because my BlackBerry is the perfect size and offers voice directions. I just hope the GPS apps improve soon.
    06-19-12 10:35 AM
    BlackBerry Traffic kinda does trip building around other destinations. Once a destination is picked, you can go back into Search and one of your location options will now be "around current destination." (in addition to "near my location" and "in the following city.") I don't think it's possible to do this for multiple stops at once, so obviously that's some added functionality to be looked into.

What I haven't checked is if this diversion replaces your final destination. In other words, does BB Traffic resume giving directions to the final destination after you reach the temporary stop?
    06-19-12 11:18 AM
    You could actually do all of that with google maps. I have done it many times even plotting out stopping for gas and such.
    06-19-12 11:21 AM
    How? I had Google Navigation and I couldn't find a way to do it.
    06-19-12 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD