I tried to find a similar threat, but did not manage to. I just can't understand why iphone for example has so better applications than blackberry. Many friends have the iphone and they download for free games like pro 2011, need for speed and other well known games for free. In blackberry the only games I find are those that I was playing like 10-15 years ago and they are not even 3D.

So, are any such applications going to come on blackberry?
    07-23-11 01:42 PM
    I would imagine once qnx phones come out developers would be more inclinded to make better games for blackberries.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-11 01:58 PM
    If you want so many apps why not just get the iphone or ipod touch?
    07-23-11 01:59 PM
    I tried to find a similar threat, but did not manage to. I just can't understand why iphone for example has so better applications than blackberry. Many friends have the iphone and they download for free games like pro 2011, need for speed and other well known games for free. In blackberry the only games I find are those that I was playing like 10-15 years ago and they are not even 3D.

So, are any such applications going to come on blackberry?
    Currently the current BlackBerry firmware architecture is based on Java. This is very difficult to code for and basically just a total PITA all around. I imagine there will be some more games & applications come with the release of OS 7 devices, but nothing like what's on the iPhone or Android. Not yet. Lots of that is due to lack of usable memory, lots due to the complications of the Java based platform.
    This will change when RIM releases QNX HandHeld's. Just take a look at the PlayBook and you get a sense of what's possible. <-- Plenty. The drawback is it won't be here until next year.
    RIM has traditionally been an "Enterprise" focused company and only recently(couple years) tried to transition to being both Enterprise focused & consumer friendly. The recent acquisitions made by RIM of various companies are going to allow RIM to bring such features & capabilities to the QNX platform. So yes it's coming, but it's half a year away.
    07-23-11 02:05 PM
    Blackberry's applications are very speedy in accessing internet and while downloading. In this push mail is also available which doesn't exist in many featuristic phones. Blackberry's phones are available in many dashing models and in decent colours.
    Again with the post about BB speed! I have yet to find a slower smartphone than my Storm 2. I replaced it with an iPhone 4 last month - not only do I have push email via MS Exchange, I receive my emails almost instantly - my S2 took 5-10 minutes to deliver messages. Finally, BB has been stuck on the same form factor for years - I would say that disqualifies them for the "dashing" tag.

On a side note, I have a feeling developer support for QNX won't be as popular as some think. If an Android emulator is present, what's the incentive to develop for QNX given RIM's rocky relationship with developers so far?

07-23-11 08:55 PM
    Again with the post about BB speed! I have yet to find a slower smartphone than my Storm 2. I replaced it with an iPhone 4 last month - not only do I have push email via MS Exchange, I receive my emails almost instantly - my S2 took 5-10 minutes to deliver messages. Finally, BB has been stuck on the same form factor for years - I would say that disqualifies them for the "dashing" tag.

On a side note, I have a feeling developer support for QNX won't be as popular as some think. If an Android emulator is present, what's the incentive to develop for QNX given RIM's rocky relationship with developers so far?

You bought a storm??? LOL, No wonder you're angry.
    07-23-11 09:27 PM
    You bought a storm??? LOL, No wonder you're angry.
    Extremely. My first and last BlackBerry. First impressions don't get much worse.

07-23-11 09:43 PM
    I'm a little confused your thread title is about applications, and all you talk about is games. Which are you concerned about? Because I have no problems finding the apps I want or need for the BB. But yes the current OS is not designed for games and never will be. That is what QNX is going to be for, but I myself may enjoy QNX phones for their features, but a for me a phone will never be a gaming platform, if I want that I will get a much better one in a PSP etc.

I need a phone to be a communications device and light computing etc, games are the least of what I need a smart phone to do, and I myself don't care if games ever come to blackberries.

CS
    07-23-11 11:40 PM
    I'm a little confused your thread title is about applications, and all you talk about is games. Which are you concerned about? Because I have no problems finding the apps I want or need for the BB. But yes the current OS is not designed for games and never will be. That is what QNX is going to be for, but I myself may enjoy QNX phones for their features, but a for me a phone will never be a gaming platform, if I want that I will get a much better one in a PSP etc.

I need a phone to be a communications device and light computing etc, games are the least of what I need a smart phone to do, and I myself don't care if games ever come to blackberries.

CS
    07-23-11 11:41 PM
    Extremely. My first and last BlackBerry. First impressions don't get much worse.

It almost seems like 75% of people who hate BlackBerry phones fall into one of two categories:
    1) They have a Curve 83xx (running OS 4.5 or older) and are comparing it side-by-size with the latest non-RIM phones from today.
    2) They bought a Storm, and never looked at anything else made by RIM
    07-24-11 06:30 AM
    I have a Storm 2 and haven't had any problems with it. I have an upgrade coming soon but I think I'll wait a year until the QNX devices drop. I have no problem doing this because I love my S2 so much. In fact, I gave up MY upgrade when my wife broke her phone. I'm waiting on hers but I really don't see a device making me forget about my S2 too easily. That includes the iPhone 4 and all the current Android models. The way I see it, I might as well wait because I don't feel my phone needs replacing any time soon.

BlackBerry doesn't have all the games the others have but as far as apps, I pretty much have every app I can possibly imagine. My phone is pimped out to the point I can pretty much do anything. I can't think of one feature I'm missing. That's what I've always questioned about iPhone and Android... what are these thousands of apps I'm missing?
    07-24-11 11:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD