So what does this BIS update mean for me if I have my domain name hosted at Google Apps? I've got mydomain.com set up on my BB's BIS as an IMAP using custom settings (regular Gmail IMAP servers), but since it's not set up as a GMail account, I don't have the BB plugin on my berry. Do I need to get the BB plugin to take advantage of the new and upcoming features? Can I use the Gmail plugin with my mydomain.com mail since it's ultimately a gmail account? I looked for the gmail plugin, but I couldn't find it as a independent download unless you set up a regular gmail account. Can I install a regular gmail account, install the plugin, delete the gmail account, and then have the plugin work for mydomain.com mail?

Any tips on this would be helpful. I'm also interested in what others have done. I only saw a few things in the forums, and it seems like others have done the IMAP setup similar to what I have done.

Thanks in advance,
    WB
    03-28-10 03:10 AM
    OK, I tried installing a regular Gmail account and it added the plugin, but once the gmail account was gone, so was the plugin.

Is there a way to use the plugin with my mydomain.com mail since it's really a gmail account? Is the plugin really necessary?
    03-28-10 06:25 AM
    I'm using a Google Apps for Domains and am able to use the Gmail plugin with my domain email.

Unfortunately the plugin is really half assed. You can archive things but it seems to happen on a timed delay. The recent BIS update to 3.0 is supposed to help with some of the two way synch - but I think some portion of it is carrier specific -- so you'll see a delay until it's active on everyone's accounts.

There's more info here and a link to attempt to re-download it (though in the past when I tried it said you have to go through your carrier).

Note: I can't post a link but if you search the BlackBerry support site there is a Gmail Plugin page.
    03-28-10 08:20 AM
    How'd you get the google plugin to work for your personal domain mail? Did I set mine up wrong? I set my gmail up as an IMAP account, but when I did, I had to use the custom settings (i set it up as [email protected], when the auto setup failed, I was able to enter custom IMAP settings). Is that not the best way to do it? Should I use the automatic settings? I used IMAP because I had pretty decent 2 way sync with deleted messages (although it was delayed). If I primarily want to be able to take advantage of the upcoming gmail features when they roll out later this spring, so I would like to get the optimum setup in place now.

My biggest question is that with IMAP, when I delete mail in outlook it will eventually be deleted off my Blackberry within a few hours. I have it setup as IMAP on Outlook at home and I use IMAP on Thunderbird (APPStoGO) at work. If I use the default settings in BIS for mydomain.com mail, I know I can still use IMAP for my Outlook/Thunderbird setups, but when I delete mail in Outlook/Thunderbird, will it still be deleted from my BB? I hate having to go back and delete messages I've already read on my BB when I've already deleted them on my desktop.

I really miss my BES blackberry...life was so much easier...
    03-28-10 06:16 PM
    Ok, I added the mydomain.com email using the regular setup and I got the Gmail app and the ability to sync contacts. That's pretty sweet. HOWEVER, it appears that now when I delete mail from my Outlook/Thunderbird folder, it does not get deleted from the BB. Deleting from BB does however delete from Outlook/Thunderbird.

So I guess I just need to (im)patiently wait for the Gmail features to be rolled out over the course of the spring.

On another note, with the new support for OpenOffice, it'd be nice to see RIM push out more support for Sunbird and Thunderbird or to see better apps for synciing Google Apps (calendar, contacts) with the Mozilla products. I really despise Office and much prefer the OpenOffice and Mozilla products.
    03-28-10 11:27 PM
    Yep, it looks like if I want contact sync, I'll have to manually delete the e-mails off my BB.

If I want IMAP (where I don't have to delete the mail on my BB) I can't have contact sync.

This blows! I want to have my cake and eat it too! I guess I'll be patient and see what comes out over the coming weeks in terms of Gmal support.
    03-29-10 05:42 AM
    You can still download Google Sync.
    03-29-10 08:43 AM
    I do Google Sync for calendar, but not for contacts. My wife and I share a calendar, but not contacts.
    03-29-10 09:02 AM
    Google Sync does contacts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-10 09:27 AM
    Google Sync does contacts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes, I know. However we both use the same sign in for our Sync account so that we can truly share a calendar. We don't want to share contact info. We want to keep that all separate, so only one of us could sync contacts this way.
    03-29-10 02:22 PM
    OK, I give up! I've gone back to my initial setup! I don't have the Gmail plugin, but I guess I'll wait for true 2-way sync to try again. My current setup is this:

I added account [email protected] with pw test. Of course it failed.
    I then got the option to add personal settings.
    I added my mydomain.com account as an IMAP acct with gmail IMAP settings.
    (slow) 2 way sync restored (no read/unread sync). No contact sync. Oh well.

C'mon RIM...Give up the good stuff!

One thing I tried was disabling POP on my Gmail account. When I then went to set up my e-mail in BIS, the setup process forced POP back to enabled.
    03-29-10 02:41 PM
    Is there any update to this? I'd like to move my email over to my Google Apps account to take advantage of the Gmail interface and less maintenance!

Can we finally get the same Gmail integration with Google Apps in BIS? I don't have the resources to run BESX with the BES connector.
    05-30-11 09:54 PM
    Yes, I know. However we both use the same sign in for our Sync account so that we can truly share a calendar. We don't want to share contact info. We want to keep that all separate, so only one of us could sync contacts this way.
    You can share calendars and still use Google Sync for your contacts. If your wife shares her calendar with you in Gmail, open the Options on your Google Sync and scroll down to your calendar and click on it. This brings up another page listing all shared calendars you have access to. Just check the ones you want to sync and view.
    05-31-11 06:35 AM
    Is there any update to this? I'd like to move my email over to my Google Apps account to take advantage of the Gmail interface and less maintenance!

Can we finally get the same Gmail integration with Google Apps in BIS? I don't have the resources to run BESX with the BES connector.
    I can't say. I decided to jump ship to Android. I got tired of the poor integration with Google products. The e-mail/calendar/contact integration on an Android phone blows BlackBerry out of the water!

Gmail is real time two way sync on Android. Blackberry had a long (several hour) delay when I left last year.

Gcalendar sync is amazing. I can't think of anything that would make it better. We share ten different calendars and can turn them on/off on the phone as needed. Calendar colors are maintained as they are set on the PC. The sync is real time to all devices that share a calendar. Not set to sync every 4 hours (or whatever that google sync tool is set for).

Contacts sync two way in real time also.

Honestly, if you're going to use Gmail or Google Apps for your domain, BlackBerry can't compete with an Android device.

We also need access to an exchange server and both Froyo and Gingerbread versions of Android work great with exchange.

The downside of Android? The keyboard...or lack of devices with keyboards. My first droid was the original Motorola Droid. I didn't like the really bad keyboard on that phone so I didn't use it. I am currently using a Droid X which doesn't have any keyboard. Verizon has the Droid Pro which has a BlackBerry like keyboard and a touchscreen. I would have gotten that if it would have been available when I got my X.

I'm not trying to put down BB, but when it comes to Google integration, Android can't be beat (for obvious reasons).
    05-31-11 08:19 AM
    Well, Google would be shooting themselves in the foot if they gave "regular BIS" users the same capability as what Android devices can do. This would be a primary reason to get more users over to 'droid.

So I guess the solution is still BES with the Gmail connector but that's out of reach of many BIS users.
    05-31-11 12:33 PM
    Well, Google would be shooting themselves in the foot if they gave "regular BIS" users the same capability as what Android devices can do. This would be a primary reason to get more users over to 'droid.

So I guess the solution is still BES with the Gmail connector but that's out of reach of many BIS users.
    Yeah, unfortunately it is out of reach for many users. That was my case and the reason I switched. My brother still is a BB user, so I'm watching to see what comes about with BB/Google integration. I'm not a "fanboy" of any device, but I need to have something that works for me and my needs. Right now it's Android. Next time it may be BB again. BB seems to be steering the ship more towards the consumer market vs. the business market. Hopefully that will mean better support for those of us that don't have BES capabilities.
    05-31-11 07:34 PM
    You can use the BIS "GIMAP" plugin for your google apps for domains accounts by calling your Blackberry Carrier's data support. Insist on an escalation for Tier 2, explain what you are trying to accomplish.

Tier 2 support teams are able to contact RIM BIS support. Once this happens BIS support at RIM can configure your domain name in their system to use BIS when they see an activation request come through for any user on that domain.

Doing this will give you exactly the same features on the device as you would have using a standard @gmail.com account.

See here for more complete details.

Google Groups
    09-07-12 08:57 AM
    You can use the BIS "GIMAP" plugin for your google apps for domains accounts by calling your Blackberry Carrier's data support. Insist on an escalation for Tier 2, explain what you are trying to accomplish.

Tier 2 support teams are able to contact RIM BIS support. Once this happens BIS support at RIM can configure your domain name in their system to use BIS when they see an activation request come through for any user on that domain.

Doing this will give you exactly the same features on the device as you would have using a standard @gmail.com account.

See here for more complete details.

Google Groups
    I bit surprised to get the update on this thread! I could have used that info some time ago, but I'm not sure they offered that back then. I've been on Android for over 2 years now. I still have a few friends with BlackBerry and I continue to follow CrackBerry.com. At this point, I don't think there is anything that BlackBerry could offer me to switch back from Android. I've got a Droid 4, so I even have a great physical keyboard!

Thanks for the info though!
    09-08-12 08:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD