Figure this would be a decent challenge to someone and if this app already exists, please point me to it.

If unfamiliar to what a biking computer is, after inputing the size of your wheels, it keeps track of distance, speed, and time through a magnet on the spoke of your wheel passing by a sensor (either tethered or wireless).

It would rely heavily on GPS data, such as distance traveled and speed (saw that in BB Maps, which is pretty accurate). You can set the start point and the Storm would track where you are and calculate distance based on where you are at. A start button would start a clock, keeping time of how long a ride has taken. To keep riding time accurate, it would not count time not peddling, so wherever GPS is showing me as stationary the clock would not run.

Some additional features could be inputing weight, height and age to get an idea of calories/fat burned.

This would be a great app, at least for the bike riding community. Kudos to whoever does this. I would try, but my programming skills ended at Visual Basic and C++ and I don't have the time to learn a new language.

(plus if people are requesting ballistics programs, why not a biking program?)
    02-26-09 07:38 AM
    An app that is already out there and has a lot of these features is Sanoodi Smap. It uses the storm's gps to track time, speed, and your average speed. It doesn't do anything related to calories burned, etc, but it does allow you to select your activity (I.e. Biking, walking, running). I have only used it for walking so there may be more options under the biking menu.

A really cool feature is you can upload your routes to their website and view them on a map. You can also export them right into google earth which is also very cool.

Definitely give it a try. I don't have the OTA link but just type it into google and you will find it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 08:57 AM
    Yeah, while I made the thread I saw that someone posted that program. I downloaded it.

I just need some good weather to test it! Winter in Indiana sucks!
    02-26-09 09:23 AM
    I use GPSed which works really good.
    02-26-09 11:09 AM
    +1 for Sanoodi
    02-26-09 11:11 AM
    How would you mount to bike?
    02-26-09 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD