been away for a couple of days. sorry to the people wanting to beta test. beta testing on this version is over now.
    07-13-10 05:51 AM
    BBSpeedOMeter is now available for download on the mobihand/crackberry app stores (still waiting on handango to refresh).

BBSpeedOMeter - Sports & Recreation BlackBerry Apps

BBSpeedOMeter - Sports & Recreation BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

priced at 4.99 but on only 2.49 till the end of the month.
    07-13-10 05:52 AM
    people who beta tested and didnt get the upgrade link send me a pm and ill forward it onto you
    07-13-10 06:03 AM
    BBSpeedOMeter is now available for download on the mobihand/crackberry app stores (still waiting on handango to refresh).

BBSpeedOMeter - Sports & Recreation BlackBerry Apps

BBSpeedOMeter - Sports & Recreation BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

priced at 4.99 but on only 2.49 till the end of the month.
    Mark, just one longer-term question: Will the later v3 of the app be a free upgrade for paid/purchased users of v2? Or is your intention that there will be an upgrade charge to jump major versions?

Thanks for any info, looks like a great app.
    Last edited by Ducaticorse; 07-13-10 at 06:56 AM.
    07-13-10 06:47 AM
    I can not wait to get a 10:30 conference call out of the way and try this.
    07-13-10 08:33 AM
    Mark, just one longer-term question: Will the later v3 of the app be a free upgrade for paid/purchased users of v2? Or is your intention that there will be an upgrade charge to jump major versions?

Thanks for any info, looks like a great app.
    I think all upgrades should be free upgrades. but i suppose that could change in the future.

i'll make a commitment now tho and say that version 2 to version 3 will defenitly be a free upgrade. and i would imagine that any other versions should be free upgrades too. not really in this for the money with this app, really just developing it for myself and feedback that i get from users just helps me make it better for myself to use.

if you want to be always sure of a free upgrade just keep an eye on this forum or my twitter (@bbspeedometer) and come beta test the next version.

version 3 will start in a couple of weeks(need a couple of weeks summer holidays) and a beta version should be out month or so after that.

i'm thinking for version 3 i will

1) fix any bugs or whatever show up in version 2 (shouldnt be too many)
    2) some work on maps, it needs to be made a little smoother. and there will be a marker to show where you've been. and the map added to the history
    3) output kml file for google earth
    4) ghost(race) against previous trip on the same route.
    5) training buddie, this would allow you to add sets of intervals and it'll tell you when to start sprinting, calculate from the average speed/gradient/lenght of interval etc what the target speed should be (maybe. need to work out this idea a bit more)

any other ideas are welcomed, if i get any better ideas from users, one of the above might get shelved. so none of the above is for certain going to be in version 3 but i hope to get alot done
    07-13-10 09:14 AM
    I can not wait to get a 10:30 conference call out of the way and try this.
    wow how long does a conference call last? id love a job where i could go out for a spin on my bike after a 10:30 call. im stuck here till half 4 and the forcast is for rain from 4, actually just looked out the window and after a lovely morning its now raining. i do have a rain jacket but it looks like the bike will be getting a rest for today.
    07-13-10 09:17 AM
    quick tip on the app!

i've got mine on the handle bars so by default the screen is always on. if your just going to carry the app in your pocket and take a quick peek every now and then or just check it when you get home there is a setting within the app to timeout the screen, this will save bigtime on the battery.

i've got 2 blackberries a bold 9700 and storm 9520

not 100% sure on the exact numbers but with screen always on the battery life is

9700 - 8% per hour of usage
    9520 - 15% per hour of usage

with the backlight timeout

9700 - 5% per hour of usage
    9520 - 10% per hour of usage

obviously screen brightness is also a factor (cant change this within the app but its easy to do in your phone settings) im from ireland so its usually dull here and i can get away with about 50% brightness but if its sunny you may need to goto 80% which will effect the battery life too.

I love blackberries tho, i've got friends that use similar apps on iphone and they cant really go on a ride any longer than about 3 hours or the battery runs out.
    07-13-10 09:23 AM
    do crackberry mind me advertising links to other app stores?

now on handango too (no discount on there tho so goto crackberry or mobihand instead)

BBSpeedOMeter : BlackBerry� : Handango
    07-13-10 09:27 AM
    wow how long does a conference call last? id love a job where i could go out for a spin on my bike after a 10:30 call. im stuck here till half 4 and the forcast is for rain from 4, actually just looked out the window and after a lovely morning its now raining. i do have a rain jacket but it looks like the bike will be getting a rest for today.
    Yes, would be nice. Day off today.
    07-13-10 09:31 AM
    Finished the first test run today with BBSpeedOMeter. Great app! It is better than the bicycle computer I have. Presents the same information and it has to be more accurate as it uses the GPS.
    07-13-10 12:17 PM
    Those all sound like excellent ideas; looking forward to the next beta. Hopefully it come out while I'm on my 3 week summer break

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-10 01:10 PM
    Those all sound like excellent ideas; looking forward to the next beta. Hopefully it come out while I'm on my 3 week summer break

Man I'm in the wrong line of work! When I said a couple of weeks off I just meant from the evenin work. Ill get 1 week off the day job this summer if I'm lucky!

07-13-10 01:44 PM
    Do you have to have BBMaps installed or will this work without it? I use Google Maps for my GPS. Can't wait to try it out!
    07-13-10 06:28 PM
    Law School ain't no picnic Mark; I'd trade my 3 weeks for your paycheck.

It only works in BlackBerry Maps PossumP; I only use google maps myself, but bbmaps has apis you can use for what this app does, google maps doesn't.

07-13-10 06:34 PM
    Thanks! I might put BBMaps back on to fully see what this can do.
    07-13-10 06:36 PM
    Any chances I can get a beta version? Would love to test it...going out for a ride in about an hour. Let me know.
    07-13-10 07:09 PM
    Any chances I can get a beta version? Would love to test it...going out for a ride in about an hour. Let me know.
    sorry theres no beta version at the moment. havent started development on the next version yet so a beta versions more than a month away.
    07-14-10 02:17 AM
    new thread started. chance for existing customers to win back their money and new customers to get a free app

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/bbs...on-won-497287/
    07-16-10 03:45 AM
    I commute 25-30 km to work on bike and w/b interested in putting your app to the test.
    07-26-10 10:54 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD