Hey CB nation,

Just to let you know I sent an app request to 170,000+ Recipes | Recipe Software | BigOven and this is the response i got ....

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for writing in!

We are definitely considering building something for Blackberry's new platform . As always, our decisions are based on perceived demand from our customers. Emails like yours only boost our confindence.

Thanks,

Bill Konrad
    BigOven.com

So if dont know what bigoven is check it out at 170,000+ Recipes | Recipe Software | BigOven and contact them about and app for the playbook so we can get one too ... it would so cool .

Contact them @ .... [email protected].
    Last edited by bigpolla04; 11-29-10 at 10:51 AM.
    11-29-10 10:45 AM
    Hey CB nation,

Just to let you know I sent an app request to 170,000+ Recipes | Recipe Software | BigOven and this is the response i got ....

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for writing in!

We are definitely considering building something for Blackberry's new platform . As always, our decisions are based on perceived demand from our customers. Emails like yours only boost our confindence.

Thanks,

Bill Konrad
    BigOven.com

So if dont know what bigoven is check it out at 170,000+ Recipes | Recipe Software | BigOven and contact them about and app for the playbook so we can get one too ... it would so cool .

Contact them @ .... [email protected].

Screw 'em, they don't even have the app for BB's now. iPhone, iPad, Windows and iTouch.

Won't do it.
    11-29-10 11:20 AM
    [QUOTE=dkingsf;5819612]Screw 'em, they don't even have the app for BB's now. iPhone, iPad, Windows and iTouch.

Won't do it.[/QUOTE

They dont because Blackberry is so hard to make apps for but with the new QNX os it will be much much easier . Plus it benefits everyone who use blackberries . At least we have to try and prove that the QNX os is the best in the world .
    11-29-10 11:30 AM
    [QUOTE=bigpolla04;5819646]
    Screw 'em, they don't even have the app for BB's now. iPhone, iPad, Windows and iTouch.

Won't do it.[/QUOTE

They dont because Blackberry is so hard to make apps for but with the new QNX os it will be much much easier . Plus it benefits everyone who use blackberries . At least we have to try and prove that the QNX os is the best in the world .
    Java apps aren't any harder to write than iOS or Perl or Unix. Just need to have a Java developer do it.
    11-29-10 11:42 AM

Java apps aren't any harder to write than iOS or Perl or Unix. Just need to have a Java developer do it.
    Java apps themselves aren't any harder to write, I do a lot of work with Java, but writing for BlackBerry OS is a major pain in the ***. RIM's UI classes are poorly documented and very difficult to work with if you want something that looks even remotely good. You have to subclass a label control and override part of its paint method just to change the text colour. Writing for BlackBerry Tablet OS however was really easy, even though I had no AIR or ActionScript experience. It's easier to write for Tablet OS with no previous experience in any of the technologies than it is to write for classic BB OS with 6 years of Java experience. That's only talking about OS 6 experience too, writing for older OSs is even harder if you want a good looking result.

Tablet OS will definitely increase app availability just because of the ease of development difference.
    11-29-10 12:07 PM
    Love bigoven on my ipod, would loooove it on my bbtorch or bbpb
    11-30-10 04:32 PM
    OK, so taking a line from RIM's own book... if I can have the entire web on my PB, why do I need an app? Why can't I just hit Cooking.com or foodtv.com to get my recipes?

I think the PB's biggest assent (it's browser capabilities) is also going to be it's downfall when it comes to people writing apps for it. You won't need all these little wasted code type apps.
    11-30-10 06:42 PM
    OK, so taking a line from RIM's own book... if I can have the entire web on my PB, why do I need an app? Why can't I just hit Cooking.com or foodtv.com to get my recipes?

I think the PB's biggest assent (it's browser capabilities) is also going to be it's downfall when it comes to people writing apps for it. You won't need all these little wasted code type apps.
    I half agree with you

I agree with RIM's stance on having the full web experience why do you need all these apps

BUT some apps that pull content from the Web are ideal, if this Big Oven App say linked to a Shopping cart, so when I select a recipe it populated my shopping card, ideally the app would include "My Pantry" which I would list the product that I stock in my Pantry be them spices soups, broths and such, This being stored locally vs being on the web would be ideal since I can bring this to the store with me and update live without needing to sync to a website,

What RIM has done is Made App developers actually have to put value into their app as a reason to use it over just visiting the website.

I REALLY should get back into programming.......
    11-30-10 06:51 PM
    I half agree with you

I agree with RIM's stance on having the full web experience why do you need all these apps

BUT some apps that pull content from the Web are ideal, if this Big Oven App say linked to a Shopping cart, so when I select a recipe it populated my shopping card, ideally the app would include "My Pantry" which I would list the product that I stock in my Pantry be them spices soups, broths and such, This being stored locally vs being on the web would be ideal since I can bring this to the store with me and update live without needing to sync to a website,

What RIM has done is Made App developers actually have to put value into their app as a reason to use it over just visiting the website.

I REALLY should get back into programming.......
    I started trying to learn basic programming by starting with Python and it's really difficult. Are they all really complex, or did I just start out on a difficult programming language?

Also on topic, I remember someone mentioning in a different thread that a Facebook app on the playbook would be beneficial as there are a lot of small links on the full page that would be cumbersome to navigate on the smaller screen with just touch input, so there's a double edged sword there too.
    11-30-10 07:57 PM
    I started trying to learn basic programming by starting with Python and it's really difficult. Are they all really complex, or did I just start out on a difficult programming language?

Also on topic, I remember someone mentioning in a different thread that a Facebook app on the playbook would be beneficial as there are a lot of small links on the full page that would be cumbersome to navigate on the smaller screen with just touch input, so there's a double edged sword there too.
    Python is a cumbersome language,
    When you are looking to learn a language, you should pick what you want to program.

Then you pick a language, Universities Generally Teach C, then Java, Then C++
    I learned first with QBasic, then PHP, then C, Then C# then played with a few .Net languages, and Ruby, then said WHY oh WHY am I doing this...

IF you want to develop for the Playbook might as well learn AdobeAir, from what I read it seems to be an easy language to learn and develop in,
    11-30-10 08:42 PM
    I'll disagree with deRusset and say that Python is a reasonably easy language to learn, though not the easiest. Obviously this is something of personal opinion. Learning your first programming language will be hard, it took me a few attempts trying different languages. Once you get the hang of one though, learning more is really easy. Don't expect the first language to be easy no matter which language it is. Programming requires thinking about things in a way most people don't. You have to look at a problem and be able to break down how to solve it into lots of tiny steps, steps that are a little different from how you'd do it in your head.
    Last edited by taylortbb; 12-01-10 at 02:27 PM.
    12-01-10 02:30 AM
    Python is a great language to start off with. Keep plugging away at it!
    12-01-10 05:29 AM

RIM's suggestion would be for the a creator of a cookbook app to include device support that would allow the user to select what they wanted to make in the morning and it would push a shopping list to the device, price comparisons for surrounding stores and directions or coupons or other offers. Then when the user gets home they could use the PlayBook to stream a video with step-by-step instructions. A cooking show on your device complete with sponsored advertising.

Of course many people will continue to throw up web portal links but RIM's point is to get these sites and developers to put more effort into their creations to engage the user because it can lead to more business for them. I don't know why that idea is so hard to grasp.
    12-01-10 12:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD